DEFINE and formulas

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
      Is there a real reason we usually do this in data files

      DEFINE:MyVariable|0
      BONUS:VAR|MyVariable|<some Formula>

      instead of using this directly:

      DEFINE:MyVariable|<some Formula>

      A lot of complexity could possibly be saved on datasets.

      Regards,
      Stefan.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Stefan Radermacher
        <radermacher@...> wrote:
        > Is there a real reason we usually do this in data files
        >
        > DEFINE:MyVariable|0
        > BONUS:VAR|MyVariable|<some Formula>
        >
        > instead of using this directly:
        >
        > DEFINE:MyVariable|<some Formula>
        >
        > A lot of complexity could possibly be saved on datasets.

        Long term maintenance, since you only have to look in BONUS VARs, and
        not various DEFINEs in different objects. Trust me, I've had plenty
        of first-hand experience on that. You don't need it everywhere, but
        CORE sets assume other added on objects from other sets that will have
        potential BONUS:VARs.

        From our LST Standards page:

        For Variables that will have a BONUS:VAR| in another object than where
        it is DEFINEd, or if it will be DEFINEd in more than one object, the
        standard is DEFINE:<name>|0 and leaving all numbers to
        BONUS:VAR|<name>| statements.

      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
          Thanks for the explanation!