Off-Hand Weapon Bonus

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2008
      I'm having trouble making this bonus work. I want to grant a bonus to
      hit to all weapons with a specific Type, but only when the weapon is
      used in the off-hand. I don't want to have to equip the weapon as an
      off-hand weapon for the bonus to appear, beacause a character may have
      more than one of these weapons. I want to display the value in the
      weapon block of all of the weapons.

      I've tried using THESE

      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|bonusValue|PRETYPE:1,MyWeaponType
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-
      SECONDARY|bonusValue|PREWEAPONPROF:1,TYPE.MyWeaponProfType

      but they don't seem to work quite right. Is it possible to do this?

      Thanks,

      Sir George Anonymous
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2008

        pulling on my knowledge here
        Here is what you had:

        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|bonusValue|PRETYPE:1,MyWeaponType
        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|bonusValue|PREWEAPONPROF:1,TYPE.MyWeaponProfType

        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|var("bonusValue")|PRETYPE:1,MyWeaponType

        That should do the trick,
        Q- why 'bonusValue' instead of the more standard 'BonusValue'?

        Obvious errors that can be made since I only see what you've put up here:

        You forget to DEFINE the bonus OR Bonus the variable
        DEFINE:BonusValue|0
        BONUS:VAR|BonusValue|3

        An example of code that should work:

        DEFINE:MasterMinionOffHandBonus|0
        BONUS:VAR|MasterMinionOffHandBonus|5

        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|var("MasterMinionOffHandBonus")

        The various PRExxx tags you can use

        PREWIELD:1,
        PRETYPE:1,
        PREEQUIPSECONDARY:1,
        I would avoid PREWEAPONPROF as that only checks to see if you have the
        Proficiency itself and does not check if it is in use.

        Another variation which is used INSIDE the actual weapon, and makes
        things much easier sometimes is:

        BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|var("BonusValue")
        Then you tailor the PRExxx tag to either PREWIELD or PREEQUIPSECONDARY

        Last thing is to check and see that you are getting the bonus, if you
        aren't getting the bonus then all the PRExxx won't matter.

        Easy way to test - remove the PRExxx tags

        More accurate but complex is to use the console inside the program.

        Hope that helps more than hinders.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin