Re: Help with OS Weapon Blocks

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2008
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...>

      Does anyone know about .fo OS blocks? The crux of my question is, how
      do I get TH, TWP-OL, and OH To Hit and Damage information for double
      weapons?

      As a potention solution, what are the effects to PCGen if I change all
      of these weapons to WIELD:OneHanded and SLOTS:1, and then create all of
      the weapons as if they were one handed weapons instead of double
      weapons?

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
        You are talking about WEAPON token, specifically the options TWPHITH
        (Two Weapon Primary HIT off-hand Heavy), TWPHITL (Two Weapon Primary
        GIT off-hand Light), and TWOHIT (Two Weapon Off-hand HIT).

        Those will reference your data, you just need to enclose in the
        references in some good conditionals. THAT is the problem. If you
        use your TYPEs (and you'd basically have to police that yourself at
        the user / customizer level), you can do some checks on the OS. How
        you do it will depend on if you plan to use PDF or HTML output. HTML
        is basically nest the block inside your conditional, and PDF requires
        an XML setup that will allow an XSL transformation to apply to just
        the blocks you want.

        On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM, ovka <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...>
        >
        > Does anyone know about .fo OS blocks? The crux of my question is, how
        > do I get TH, TWP-OL, and OH To Hit and Damage information for double
        > weapons?
        >
        > As a potention solution, what are the effects to PCGen if I change all
        > of these weapons to WIELD:OneHanded and SLOTS:1, and then create all of
        > the weapons as if they were one handed weapons instead of double
        > weapons?

        That gets _really_ messy and hard to maintain (for characters, that
        is, especially for pricing of your weapons.)

      • ovka
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
          >You are talking about WEAPON token, specifically the options TWPHITH
          >(Two Weapon Primary HIT off-hand Heavy), TWPHITL (Two Weapon Primary
          >GIT off-hand Light), and TWOHIT (Two Weapon Off-hand HIT).

          Correct. The problem is that for double weapons, everything shows up
          as NA except for THHIT and THDAMAGE (the two-handed options). I
          tried changing the WIELD tag to OneHanded, but that didn't do the
          trick. I tried removing all of the ALTxxx tags, but that didn't work
          either. I tried removing Double from the TYPE list, but that didn't
          work. I have some other things to try (like removing the TwoHanded
          type), but it would be helpful if someone who was familiar with the
          trigger that populates the various To Hit and Damage OS Weapon tags
          (i.e. what causes NA versus a value) could help out. This might be
          worth putting into the docs as well (e.g. NOTE: If a weapon has
          TYPE:.xxx, then yyy will happen).

          >Those will reference your data, you just need to enclose in the
          >references in some good conditionals. THAT is the problem. If you
          >use your TYPEs (and you'd basically have to police that yourself at
          >the user / customizer level), you can do some checks on the OS. How
          >you do it will depend on if you plan to use PDF or HTML output. HTML
          >is basically nest the block inside your conditional, and PDF requires
          >an XML setup that will allow an XSL transformation to apply to just
          >the blocks you want.

          That's the "easy" part. I've done plenty of html coding in my time.
          I'm not using xml though, I'm using the older fo sheets to generate
          my pdf files (using the cmp one as a starting point). I'm even
          looking at displaying one version of the weapon in the equipment
          lists, and another version (or two if the heads differ), in the
          weapon blocks, but I'm not having any problems there.

          Thanks for the response.

          Cheers,

          Sir George Anonymous
        • ovka
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
            >>You are talking about WEAPON token, specifically the options TWPHITH
            >>(Two Weapon Primary HIT off-hand Heavy), TWPHITL (Two Weapon Primary
            >>GIT off-hand Light), and TWOHIT (Two Weapon Off-hand HIT).
            >
            >Correct. The problem is that for double weapons, everything shows
            >up
            >as NA except for THHIT and THDAMAGE (the two-handed options). I
            >tried changing the WIELD tag to OneHanded, but that didn't do the
            >trick. I tried removing all of the ALTxxx tags, but that didn't
            >work
            >either. I tried removing Double from the TYPE list, but that didn't
            >work. I have some other things to try (like removing the TwoHanded
            >type), but it would be helpful if someone who was familiar with the
            >trigger that populates the various To Hit and Damage OS Weapon tags
            >(i.e. what causes NA versus a value) could help out. This might be
            >worth putting into the docs as well (e.g. NOTE: If a weapon has
            >TYPE:.xxx, then yyy will happen).

            Addendum. removing TwoHanded from the TYPE list didn't help either.

            Cheers,

            Sir George Anonymous
          • ovka
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
              I've been doing some testing today. I have found that WIELD:TwoHanded
              causes NA's to display in all of the weapon blocks except for the Two
              Handed ones. Unfortunately, that isn't the only thing that causes it.
              Perhaps it is certain combinations of various tags, because I haven't
              been able to pin anything else down.

              It also appears that TYPE:Ranged causes a weapon to get ranged
              information. If there is no RANGE tag, the range appears to default to
              10. If I had to guess, I would say that TYPE:Weapon causes the code to
              generate a weapon block, TYPE:Melee generates a melee weapon block, and
              TYPE:Weapon.Melee.Ranged generates a block for each, but I haven't had
              time to test that out yet.

              Is this documented somewhere and I've missed it?

              Cheers,

              Sir George Anonymous
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                > It also appears that TYPE:Ranged causes a weapon to get ranged
                > information. If there is no RANGE tag, the range appears to default to
                > 10. If I had to guess, I would say that TYPE:Weapon causes the code to
                > generate a weapon block, TYPE:Melee generates a melee weapon block, and
                > TYPE:Weapon.Melee.Ranged generates a block for each, but I haven't had
                > time to test that out yet.

                That is about it. The double weapon output is magic done by the code
                (making a "weapon" for each head), not the output sheet.

                > Is this documented somewhere and I've missed it?

                Well, it's in the output sheets. Just look at the IIF statements for the
                weapon blocks.

                Barak
              • ovka
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                  >That is about it. The double weapon output is magic done by the code
                  >(making a "weapon" for each head), not the output sheet.

                  I've noticed that. The problem is, I don't like the magic done by
                  the code, and I'm try to fudge something up using .lst and modifying
                  the .fo.

                  >>Is this documented somewhere and I've missed it?
                  >
                  >Well, it's in the output sheets. Just look at the IIF statements for
                  >the
                  >weapon blocks.

                  I see how the output sheets work. I'm trying to figure out the magic
                  done by the code so that I can work around it.

                  Cheers,

                  Sir George Anonymous
                • Martijn Verburg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2008
                    Hi all,

                    There's a bunch of open bugs, freqs on both the OS and docs side
                    surrounding this. I've personally been tidying up the main
                    ExportHandler class so I can start tracking some of this stuff down.

                    Unfortunately it'll probably be Jan until I really can get my teeth
                    into a lot of this (in terms off just documenting what's there).

                    > >That is about it. The double weapon output is magic done by the code
                    > >(making a "weapon" for each head), not the output sheet.
                    >
                    > I've noticed that. The problem is, I don't like the magic done by
                    > the code, and I'm try to fudge something up using .lst and modifying
                    > the .fo.
                    >

                    > >>Is this documented somewhere and I've missed it?
                    > >
                    > >Well, it's in the output sheets. Just look at the IIF statements for
                    > >the
                    > >weapon blocks.
                    >
                    > I see how the output sheets work. I'm trying to figure out the magic
                    > done by the code so that I can work around it.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Sir George Anonymous

                  • ovka
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2008
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg"
                      <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > There's a bunch of open bugs, freqs on both the OS and docs side
                      > surrounding this. I've personally been tidying up the main
                      > ExportHandler class so I can start tracking some of this stuff down.
                      >
                      > Unfortunately it'll probably be Jan until I really can get my teeth
                      > into a lot of this (in terms off just documenting what's there).

                      Just to pass along what I have found out so far, it looks like
                      WIELD:TwoHanded causes the code to put NA in most of the various
                      blocks. Having HANDS:2 in the weapon proficiency causes that, and
                      also causes the extra weapon block to be generated. That one was a
                      bear to track down becauese I was focusing on the weapon itself. Oh,
                      and TYPE:Double causes "Double Weapon" to appear in the location
                      selection box for equipping a weapon.

                      I think I have enough now to be able to do what I want to do. Thanks
                      to all for putting up with my asking the same question six times.

                      Cheers,

                      Sir George Anonymous
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2008
                        > Just to pass along what I have found out so far, it looks like
                        > WIELD:TwoHanded causes the code to put NA in most of the various
                        > blocks. Having HANDS:2 in the weapon proficiency causes that, and
                        > also causes the extra weapon block to be generated. That one was a
                        > bear to track down becauese I was focusing on the weapon itself. Oh,
                        > and TYPE:Double causes "Double Weapon" to appear in the location
                        > selection box for equipping a weapon.
                        >
                        > I think I have enough now to be able to do what I want to do. Thanks
                        > to all for putting up with my asking the same question six times.

                        Do we have a tracker for improvements to Double Weapons? Something
                        that allows display of both heads for more than one double weapon at a
                        time? That would be a good thing to have remembered.

                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 8, 2008
                          <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

                          > > Just to pass along what I have found out so far, it looks like
                          > > WIELD:TwoHanded causes the code to put NA in most of the various
                          > > blocks. Having HANDS:2 in the weapon proficiency causes that, and
                          > > also causes the extra weapon block to be generated. That one was a
                          > > bear to track down becauese I was focusing on the weapon itself. Oh,
                          > > and TYPE:Double causes "Double Weapon" to appear in the location
                          > > selection box for equipping a weapon.
                          > >
                          > > I think I have enough now to be able to do what I want to do. Thanks
                          > > to all for putting up with my asking the same question six times.
                          >
                          > Do we have a tracker for improvements to Double Weapons? Something
                          > that allows display of both heads for more than one double weapon at a
                          > time? That would be a good thing to have remembered.

                          Yeah there is a tracker to improve this whole area.