Make a choice for a chooser?

  • Michael W. Fender
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 23, 2008
      I'm working on a domain that grants a free Skill Focus feat. However, this
      feat is limited to only Craft skills. I just can't seem to figure out the
      syntax.

      I've tried:
      SELECT:1 CHOOSE:FEATADD|Skill Focus(Craft%)
      SELECT:1 CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Craft% ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(%LIST)
      ...and several other variants. I'm stumped when suddenly it hit me: can this
      even be done? Can I get PCGen to list all the Craft skills, allow one
      choice, and use that choice automatically for a free Skill Focus feat? Or am
      I trying to reinvent the wheel here? I've looked over so much documentation,
      my eyes are sore.

      --
      Fluxxdog

      think.
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
        In the domain

        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Domain Choice|1

        Make an abilitycategory with the 'Domain Choice' name. (These must match)

        In the ability file

        Skill Focus - Craft Blah
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        AUTO:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft (Blah))

        Skill Focus - Craft Foo
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        AUTO:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft (Foo))

        rinse, repeat....

        If you want the older method....

        ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft (Foo)),Skill Focus(Craft (Blah)),Skill
        Focus(Craft (Hip))

        Box pops up with choices valid for the character.

        Remove Choose from the equation, makes things smoother.

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
          Whoops, forgot an essential part....

          TYPE:DomainFooChoice - place that in all your abilities that will be
          part of the choice and also the abilitcategory.

          Andrew Maitland wrote:
          > In the domain
          >
          > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Domain Choice|1
          >
          > Make an abilitycategory with the 'Domain Choice' name. (These must match)

          TYPE:DomainFooChoice - place that in all your abilities that will be
          part of the choice and also the abilitcategory.
          > In the ability file
          >
          > Skill Focus - Craft Blah
          > CATEGORY:Special Ability
          > AUTO:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft (Blah))
          >
          > Skill Focus - Craft Foo
          > CATEGORY:Special Ability
          > AUTO:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft (Foo))
          >
          > rinse, repeat....
          >
          > If you want the older method....
          >
          > ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft (Foo)),Skill Focus(Craft (Blah)),Skill
          > Focus(Craft (Hip))
          >
          > Box pops up with choices valid for the character.
          >
          > Remove Choose from the equation, makes things smoother.
          >

          > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
          >

          > Michael W. Fender wrote:
          >
          >> I'm working on a domain that grants a free Skill Focus feat. However, this
          >> feat is limited to only Craft skills. I just can't seem to figure out the
          >> syntax.
          >>
          >> I've tried:
          >> SELECT:1 CHOOSE:FEATADD|Skill Focus(Craft%)
          >> SELECT:1 CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Craft% ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(%LIST)
          >> ...and several other variants. I'm stumped when suddenly it hit me: can this
          >> even be done? Can I get PCGen to list all the Craft skills, allow one
          >> choice, and use that choice automatically for a free Skill Focus feat? Or am
          >> I trying to reinvent the wheel here? I've looked over so much documentation,
          >> my eyes are sore.

        • Michael W. Fender
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
            OK, so there are two ways of doing this, I take it.

            One, define an ability for EVERY Skill Focus possibility involving Craft

            Two, use ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft (Foo)),Skill Focus(Craft (Blah)),Skill
            Focus(Craft (Hip)) (again, defining every variant of Skill Focus (Craft))

            Can you not use a wildcard (such as %) for this? Because this seems like a
            lot more work than it should be. Especially since I maintain info for a few
            different campaigns and there are quite a few Craft, Profession, and
            Knowledge skills that aren't listed in the RSRD ;) And when I update the
            Skill LST file, I shouldn't have to redefine the Ability or Feat.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
              Well,

              Yes, there is another way.

              CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Craft
              BONUS:SKILL|LIST|x

              x being the bonus, in your case 3 I think.

              The problem is they will be able to still take skill focus.

              Note: these are abbreviated cause I'm at work and gotta go.

              - Andrew (At Work)

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                Well, problem is, since this is a feat they're being granted, it should be
                counted as such for other qualifiers, such as Prestige Classes. For example,
                the Loremaster has the following tag:

                CLASS: Loremaster ... PREFEAT:1,Skill Focus(Knowledge%) ...

                Obviously, taking this domain won't work with it. But another Prestige Class
                that would have PREFEAT:1,Skill Focus(Craft%) should qualify the character
                with this Domain. Is there a way to do something like the following?:

                ... CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Craft ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(LIST) ...
                or even...
                ... ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(TYPE.Craft) ...

                If not, I'll have to put that in to a tracker request, then. The only place
                I can find something like that is the BONUS:SKILLS|LIST|x, and it seems that
                the LIST part is only for that specific tag. And such a property would be
                useful in other things as well.

                On Wednesday 24 September 2008 12:34:44 pm Andrew Maitland wrote:
                > Well,
                >
                > Yes, there is another way.
                >

                > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Craft
                > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|x
                >
                > x being the bonus, in your case 3 I think.
                >
                > The problem is they will be able to still take skill focus.
                >
                > Note: these are abbreviated cause I'm at work and gotta go.

                Hey, I'm just happy to get any help at the moment ^^

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                  Yeah,

                  This is grey area and then no-man land.

                  We have a tag SERVEAS, only problem is the SERVEAS tag is limited and the coder that was working on it has moved on to other things. So, SERVEAS can mimic a feat inside a feat file...

                  Wildcard and LIST, again the functions are on hold for future discussions. We have four major wildcards with different uses but very similiar.

                  LIST or %LIST
                  CHOICE or %CHOICE

                  and another example
                  PRERACE:1,Dwarf
                  or
                  PRERACE:1,Dwarf%
                  Let's you select any dwarf subrace

                  We've come a long way in what can be done, but we still have a ways to go. Our coders are working hard, but we only have so many man hours for them to contribute.

                  So, can this work

                  CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Craft

                  ABILITY:FEAT|AUTOMATIC|Skill Focus (LIST)
                  or
                  AUTO:FEAT|Skill Focus (LIST)

                  In theory it could, in reality I don't think it will.

                  So, how many craft skills exist? 15, 20?

                  It's a pain, but I don't see any easier method available at this time.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                    OK, here's what I've tried for this Domain. (Note for %CHOICE, I also used
                    CHOICE, LIST, and %LIST)

                    ... CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Craft% FEAT:Skill Focus(%CHOICE)
                    ... CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Craft% ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(%CHOICE)
                    ... CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Craft% AUTO:FEAT|Skill Focus(%CHOICE)

                    When I use these, I keep getting in the Feats section of the preveiw "Skill
                    Focus (%CHOICE)", unless it sometimes brings up the chooser embedded in Skill
                    Focus already. And though I understand time can be tight for coding, the
                    flexibility this could grant would make things a lot simpler for freelance
                    LST writers like me, or any major releases down the line for future PCGen
                    data sets.

                    Now, I know as far as syntax goes, the parentheses needs no space, as I have
                    another domain that grants Spell Focus (Enchantment) worked as:
                    ... FEAT:Spell Focus(Enchantment)
                    and all spells of the Enchantment school get their +1 DC bonus.

                    And BTW, the RSRD provided with PCGen has about 15 Craft skills. Add in the
                    ones from other campaigns I'm in and the total is up to around 50. (I know
                    some rather detailed DMs ^^ Be glad I'm not asking for help with the
                    Professions! That's up to about 200!)

                    Also, I finally found the documentation for %CHOICE and %LIST
                    in /docs/listfilepages/globalfilestagpages/globalfilesformulas.html. By the
                    docs, they should work perfectly. I've questioned whether it was somehow due
                    to the paretheses, but the example given insists otherwise:
                    "SPROP:Unreliable (%CHOICE)"
                    ...though this isn't a feat we're talking about. Nonetheless, it doesn't seem
                    like it should matter. Is this part of what's "on hold for future
                    discussions"?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                      That's a SPROP tag in the equipment and EQMOD files. Slightly different. It's a matter of what tags accept the %CHOICE tag.

                      Naw, the LIST discussion is to weed it done to two or one universal usage.

                      Gotta go.

> [...]

                      > LIST or %LIST
                      > CHOICE or %CHOICE
                      >
                      > and another example
                      > PRERACE:1,Dwarf
                      > or
                      > PRERACE:1,Dwarf%
                      > Let's you select any dwarf subrace
                      >
                      > We've come a long way in what can be done, but we still have a ways to
                      go.
                      > Our coders are working hard, but we only have so many man hours for them
                      > contribute.
                      > So, can this work
                      >
                      > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Craft
                      >
                      > ABILITY:FEAT|AUTOMATIC|Skill Focus (LIST)
                      > or
                      > AUTO:FEAT|Skill Focus (LIST)
                      >
                      > In theory it could, in reality I don't think it will.
                      >
                      > So, how many craft skills exist? 15, 20?
                      >
                      > It's a pain, but I don't see any easier method available at this

                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                        > Can you not use a wildcard (such as %) for this?

                        You sure can. Just insert the following into your domain:

                        ADD:FEAT|Skill Focus(Craft%)

                        Works just fine.

                        Barak
                      • Michael W. Fender
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                          On Wednesday 24 September 2008 07:02:22 pm Barak wrote:
> [...]

                          o.O!! It... it did! Worked perfectly! Well, that saved me from having to
                          try coding out 50 individual lnes. There's nothing to really imply that
                          would work, either. Every time I went over the documentation, it seemed like
                          the choice had to be specific.

                          Thanks for saving me here, and thanks to A.M for putting up with me. Time for
                          that documentation request...

                          --
                          Fluxxdog

                          think.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                            Eric,

                            Add this to the docs please....

                            Michael W. Fender wrote:

                          • Eric C Smith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                              Hi Folks!

                              Quick question . . .

                              Does the wildcard work for all ADD tags?

                              ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                              ~ Documentation 2nd, Data Tamarin
                              ~ PL Chimp, OGL Gibbon
                              ~ Tracker Gibbon
                              ~ Tenacious Monkey
                              ~ Face melioram personam

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                                Trackered - https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                                func=detail&aid=2127707&group_id=25576&atid=748234

                                On Sep 25, 2008, at 1:09 AM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                > Eric,
                                >
                                > Add this to the docs please....
                                >
                                > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                              • Tom Parker
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 25, 2008
                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Hi Folks!
                                  >
                                  > Quick question . . .
                                  >
                                  > Does the wildcard work for all ADD tags?

                                  Only works for ADD:FEAT and ADD:ABILITY, and *only* inside the
                                  parenthesis (for Abilities with choices)

                                  TP.
                                • Eric C Smith
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 25, 2008
                                    Right. I'll update the docs accordingly.

                                    Eric