RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] CMP vs. PCGEN Datasets

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
      > more curious. Why do CMP datasets (in many of the cases I've looked
      > at) combine all the information for a monster (in this case Dragons)
      > into basically one line vs. the PCGEN rsrd dataset where they have
      > dragons given class levels and abilities allocated that way.

      Two reasons... dataset age and inertia. :p

      First, age. Many of the tags necessary to do it the way it is done today
      did not exist when the first sets were created (as noted by Tir earlier in
      the thread). What with WotC pulling the CMP license, causing all of my data
      minions to disappear and leaving just me tending the garden, there's been no
      time to try and update to more current practices.

      Second, inertia. When datasets were still being produced, many data monkeys
      were new to data entry, so were pointed to the existing datasets to use as
      examples. So, of course, they got built the same way.

      Barak
    • Brandon Morrison
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
        Gotcha. Thanks Barak and Tir and everyone else. I was just curious
        and appreciate the history lesson.