Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] CMP vs. PCGEN Datasets

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
      I normally ignore these threads, but this one ended up being longer
      than most, and included multiple posts from Andrew, so it piqued my
      interest.

      I'm the original author of the PCGen dragons, based on work by Emily
      Smirle (I hope I spelled her name right). She got most parts of the
      Green Dragon right (and that is if I remember the color right :p ),
      and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
      that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

      Dragons in the 3.0 MM aren't "default", but are meant to be customized
      - there is no spell list, no skill bonuses, or even feats listed for a
      default. There are some generalities, but nothing "finished". Heck,
      even the abilities are listed on a table, all based on age. So, with
      the early stuff we had for Monster code, the true dragons completely
      ignored, except using the newer code for MONSTERCLASS (automatically
      granting certain class levels), which was designed for if someone
      didn't want a default monster. Which worked great for the dragons,
      that didn't have any default. :)

      It makes things much easier to maintain (at least for me), and allows
      for a critical part, that basically dictated that we needed to go to
      it in the early days: Spellcasting levels work smoothly. Back then,
      it was a bit messy.

      Other factors: Allows a DM to move a dragon up a few HD w/o gaining
      age, and with only a minor hiccup, move a dragon up an age if desired.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
        > and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
        > that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

        That would be races and some templates..

        I didn't really know any other file-types back then.

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
          > more curious. Why do CMP datasets (in many of the cases I've looked
          > at) combine all the information for a monster (in this case Dragons)
          > into basically one line vs. the PCGEN rsrd dataset where they have
          > dragons given class levels and abilities allocated that way.

          Two reasons... dataset age and inertia. :p

          First, age. Many of the tags necessary to do it the way it is done today
          did not exist when the first sets were created (as noted by Tir earlier in
          the thread). What with WotC pulling the CMP license, causing all of my data
          minions to disappear and leaving just me tending the garden, there's been no
          time to try and update to more current practices.

          Second, inertia. When datasets were still being produced, many data monkeys
          were new to data entry, so were pointed to the existing datasets to use as
          examples. So, of course, they got built the same way.

          Barak
        • Brandon Morrison
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
            Gotcha. Thanks Barak and Tir and everyone else. I was just curious
            and appreciate the history lesson.