Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: CMP vs. PCGEN Datasets

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
      I don't think Barak or anyone inferred anything derogatory in your
      comments. So no worries there. Yeah, unfortunately us simians are kept
      very busy.

      I guess helpful advice is in order.... Are you planning on using CMP
      data sets or pcgen default sets? I'm inclined to follow the standards of
      the set you'll be working with. Integration and consistency make for a
      less headache filled endeavor.

      Of course, the next part is, which one makes more sense to you? If you
      grasp the concept underlying the structure then it makes duplicating it
      easier. :)

      Have I confused you yet?

      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

    • Brandon Morrison
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
        Well, I was having problem with something in a particular CMP dataset
        and am trying to figure out the best way to redo it to make it work
        the way it's supposed to. For this one particular, I've pretty much
        done it the way PCGEN does it, which I hope will work with what needs
        to happen.

        BTW, the list editor window needs some work. ;)

        Brandon

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
          BTW, the list editor window needs some work. ;)

          That is in the works.

          Yeah, use whichever method feels best. Though drop a note to Barak so he
          can fix the sets before the CMP WotC deadline happens and then everyone
          is stuck with it.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
            I normally ignore these threads, but this one ended up being longer
            than most, and included multiple posts from Andrew, so it piqued my
            interest.

            I'm the original author of the PCGen dragons, based on work by Emily
            Smirle (I hope I spelled her name right). She got most parts of the
            Green Dragon right (and that is if I remember the color right :p ),
            and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
            that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

            Dragons in the 3.0 MM aren't "default", but are meant to be customized
            - there is no spell list, no skill bonuses, or even feats listed for a
            default. There are some generalities, but nothing "finished". Heck,
            even the abilities are listed on a table, all based on age. So, with
            the early stuff we had for Monster code, the true dragons completely
            ignored, except using the newer code for MONSTERCLASS (automatically
            granting certain class levels), which was designed for if someone
            didn't want a default monster. Which worked great for the dragons,
            that didn't have any default. :)

            It makes things much easier to maintain (at least for me), and allows
            for a critical part, that basically dictated that we needed to go to
            it in the early days: Spellcasting levels work smoothly. Back then,
            it was a bit messy.

            Other factors: Allows a DM to move a dragon up a few HD w/o gaining
            age, and with only a minor hiccup, move a dragon up an age if desired.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
              > and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
              > that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

              That would be races and some templates..

              I didn't really know any other file-types back then.

            • Barak
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

                Two reasons... dataset age and inertia. :p

                First, age. Many of the tags necessary to do it the way it is done today
                did not exist when the first sets were created (as noted by Tir earlier in
                the thread). What with WotC pulling the CMP license, causing all of my data
                minions to disappear and leaving just me tending the garden, there's been no
                time to try and update to more current practices.

                Second, inertia. When datasets were still being produced, many data monkeys
                were new to data entry, so were pointed to the existing datasets to use as
                examples. So, of course, they got built the same way.

                Barak
              • Brandon Morrison
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                  Gotcha. Thanks Barak and Tir and everyone else. I was just curious
                  and appreciate the history lesson.