Re: CMP vs. PCGEN Datasets

  • Brandon Morrison
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
      And for the record, I'm not bashing Barak or anything like that. He's
      been great at answering my questions over there. Must be busy or
      something right now, so I figured I would ask over here.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
        I don't think Barak or anyone inferred anything derogatory in your
        comments. So no worries there. Yeah, unfortunately us simians are kept
        very busy.

        I guess helpful advice is in order.... Are you planning on using CMP
        data sets or pcgen default sets? I'm inclined to follow the standards of
        the set you'll be working with. Integration and consistency make for a
        less headache filled endeavor.

        Of course, the next part is, which one makes more sense to you? If you
        grasp the concept underlying the structure then it makes duplicating it
        easier. :)

        Have I confused you yet?

        Brandon Morrison wrote:
        > And for the record, I'm not bashing Barak or anything like that. He's
        > been great at answering my questions over there. Must be busy or
        > something right now, so I figured I would ask over here.
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland
        > <drew0500@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Unfortunately, some of the differences were based upon being different.
        >> But I'm glad you liked the quick and dirty explanation. I'll have to
        >> look at the CMP stuff and see how Barak/CMP set it up. Like most
        >>
        > things,
        >
        >> there aren't "right" and "wrong" ways, just different ways to achieve
        >> the same results.
        >>
        >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
        >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
        >>

        >> Brandon Morrison wrote:
        >>
        >>> <chuckle> I was not looking for a real detailed answer, I was
        >>>
        > just kind
        >
        >>> of curious as to why and what was the specific reason. I know having
        >>> been on the CMP boards that there are differences between the way CMP
        >>> and non-CMP monkeys handle things. I was just looking to see if there
        >>> was a particular reason that anyone happened to know about.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks for the answer and I appreciate it.
        >>>
        >>> Brandon
        >>>
        >>> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@>

        >>> do

        > what the

        >>> monkey

        >>> well

        >>> It's

        >>> dragon.

        >>> I'm

        >>> I'm

        >>> and

      • Brandon Morrison
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
          Well, I was having problem with something in a particular CMP dataset
          and am trying to figure out the best way to redo it to make it work
          the way it's supposed to. For this one particular, I've pretty much
          done it the way PCGEN does it, which I hope will work with what needs
          to happen.

          BTW, the list editor window needs some work. ;)

          Brandon

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
            BTW, the list editor window needs some work. ;)

            That is in the works.

            Yeah, use whichever method feels best. Though drop a note to Barak so he
            can fix the sets before the CMP WotC deadline happens and then everyone
            is stuck with it.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
              I normally ignore these threads, but this one ended up being longer
              than most, and included multiple posts from Andrew, so it piqued my
              interest.

              I'm the original author of the PCGen dragons, based on work by Emily
              Smirle (I hope I spelled her name right). She got most parts of the
              Green Dragon right (and that is if I remember the color right :p ),
              and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
              that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

              Dragons in the 3.0 MM aren't "default", but are meant to be customized
              - there is no spell list, no skill bonuses, or even feats listed for a
              default. There are some generalities, but nothing "finished". Heck,
              even the abilities are listed on a table, all based on age. So, with
              the early stuff we had for Monster code, the true dragons completely
              ignored, except using the newer code for MONSTERCLASS (automatically
              granting certain class levels), which was designed for if someone
              didn't want a default monster. Which worked great for the dragons,
              that didn't have any default. :)

              It makes things much easier to maintain (at least for me), and allows
              for a critical part, that basically dictated that we needed to go to
              it in the early days: Spellcasting levels work smoothly. Back then,
              it was a bit messy.

              Other factors: Allows a DM to move a dragon up a few HD w/o gaining
              age, and with only a minor hiccup, move a dragon up an age if desired.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                > and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
                > that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

                That would be races and some templates..

                I didn't really know any other file-types back then.

              • Barak
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

                  Two reasons... dataset age and inertia. :p

                  First, age. Many of the tags necessary to do it the way it is done today
                  did not exist when the first sets were created (as noted by Tir earlier in
                  the thread). What with WotC pulling the CMP license, causing all of my data
                  minions to disappear and leaving just me tending the garden, there's been no
                  time to try and update to more current practices.

                  Second, inertia. When datasets were still being produced, many data monkeys
                  were new to data entry, so were pointed to the existing datasets to use as
                  examples. So, of course, they got built the same way.

                  Barak
                • Brandon Morrison
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                    Gotcha. Thanks Barak and Tir and everyone else. I was just curious
                    and appreciate the history lesson.