Re: CMP vs. PCGEN Datasets

  • Brandon Morrison
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
      <chuckle> I was not looking for a real detailed answer, I was just kind
      of curious as to why and what was the specific reason. I know having
      been on the CMP boards that there are differences between the way CMP
      and non-CMP monkeys handle things. I was just looking to see if there
      was a particular reason that anyone happened to know about.

      Thanks for the answer and I appreciate it.

      Brandon

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Brandon,
      >
      > Unfortunately, asking the mass group of PCGen why CMP does or doesn't
      do
      > something is like asking a criminal why the cop is arresting him. In
      > most cases you'll get the wrong answer.
      >
      > Since most of the monkeys here don't own or understand why or what the
      > logic was, they can't answer in the best light. There is only one
      monkey
      > here who'd know the answer, and that is Barak. He's more likely to
      > answer your question over on the CMP boards. *As well as the other
      > monkeys who work to maintain the CMP data sets.
      >
      > Now, if you want our explanation on why we did Dragons as classes,
      well
      > I'm sure Tir, Eddy, or one of the older monkeys who created the set
      > could answer that.
      >
      > What I do is look at how it interacts.
      > The class system is based on the dragon "HD" it's not a true class.
      It's
      > got all the things that make a dragon at each junction of life a
      dragon.
      > For us I think it's more flexible.
      >
      > Again, Barak is better to explain the reasons CMP did what they did.
      I'm
      > sure some of it was "it was a better way" at the time.
      >
      > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
      >

      > Brandon Morrison wrote:
      > > Hello:
      > > I'm kind of wondering something and it's not a right wrong, but
      I'm

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
        Unfortunately, some of the differences were based upon being different.
        But I'm glad you liked the quick and dirty explanation. I'll have to
        look at the CMP stuff and see how Barak/CMP set it up. Like most things,
        there aren't "right" and "wrong" ways, just different ways to achieve
        the same results.

        Brandon Morrison wrote:
        > <chuckle> I was not looking for a real detailed answer, I was just kind
        > of curious as to why and what was the specific reason. I know having
        > been on the CMP boards that there are differences between the way CMP
        > and non-CMP monkeys handle things. I was just looking to see if there
        > was a particular reason that anyone happened to know about.
        >
        > Thanks for the answer and I appreciate it.
        >
        > Brandon
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Brandon,
        >>
        >> Unfortunately, asking the mass group of PCGen why CMP does or doesn't
        >>
        > do
        >
        >> something is like asking a criminal why the cop is arresting him. In
        >> most cases you'll get the wrong answer.
        >>
        >> Since most of the monkeys here don't own or understand why or what the
        >> logic was, they can't answer in the best light. There is only one
        >>
        > monkey
        >
        >> here who'd know the answer, and that is Barak. He's more likely to
        >> answer your question over on the CMP boards. *As well as the other
        >> monkeys who work to maintain the CMP data sets.
        >>
        >> Now, if you want our explanation on why we did Dragons as classes,
        >>
        > well
        >
        >> I'm sure Tir, Eddy, or one of the older monkeys who created the set
        >> could answer that.
        >>
        >> What I do is look at how it interacts.
        >> The class system is based on the dragon "HD" it's not a true class.
        >>
        > It's
        >
        >> got all the things that make a dragon at each junction of life a
        >>
        > dragon.
        >
        >> For us I think it's more flexible.
        >>
        >> Again, Barak is better to explain the reasons CMP did what they did.
        >>
        > I'm
        >
        >> sure some of it was "it was a better way" at the time.
        >>
        >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
        >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
        >>

        >> Brandon Morrison wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hello:
        >>> I'm kind of wondering something and it's not a right wrong, but
        >>>
        > I'm
        >
        >>> more curious. Why do CMP datasets (in many of the cases I've looked
        >>> at) combine all the information for a monster (in this case Dragons)
        >>> into basically one line vs. the PCGEN rsrd dataset where they have
        >>> dragons given class levels and abilities allocated that way.
        >>>
        >>> I'm just curious if there is a reason for that and what that reason
        >>> might be. I'm curious because I'm having to rebuild some monsters
        >>>
        > and
        >
        >>> want to know what the best approach might be.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks in advance

      • Brandon Morrison
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
          And for the record, I'm not bashing Barak or anything like that. He's
          been great at answering my questions over there. Must be busy or
          something right now, so I figured I would ask over here.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
            I don't think Barak or anyone inferred anything derogatory in your
            comments. So no worries there. Yeah, unfortunately us simians are kept
            very busy.

            I guess helpful advice is in order.... Are you planning on using CMP
            data sets or pcgen default sets? I'm inclined to follow the standards of
            the set you'll be working with. Integration and consistency make for a
            less headache filled endeavor.

            Of course, the next part is, which one makes more sense to you? If you
            grasp the concept underlying the structure then it makes duplicating it
            easier. :)

            Have I confused you yet?

            Brandon Morrison wrote:
            > And for the record, I'm not bashing Barak or anything like that. He's
            > been great at answering my questions over there. Must be busy or
            > something right now, so I figured I would ask over here.
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland
            > <drew0500@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Unfortunately, some of the differences were based upon being different.
            >> But I'm glad you liked the quick and dirty explanation. I'll have to
            >> look at the CMP stuff and see how Barak/CMP set it up. Like most
            >>
            > things,
            >
            >> there aren't "right" and "wrong" ways, just different ways to achieve
            >> the same results.
            >>
            >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
            >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
            >>

            >> Brandon Morrison wrote:
            >>
            >>> <chuckle> I was not looking for a real detailed answer, I was
            >>>
            > just kind
            >
            >>> of curious as to why and what was the specific reason. I know having
            >>> been on the CMP boards that there are differences between the way CMP
            >>> and non-CMP monkeys handle things. I was just looking to see if there
            >>> was a particular reason that anyone happened to know about.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks for the answer and I appreciate it.
            >>>
            >>> Brandon
            >>>
            >>> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@>

            >>> do

            > what the

            >>> monkey

            >>> well

            >>> It's

            >>> dragon.

            >>> I'm

            >>> I'm

            >>> and

          • Brandon Morrison
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
              Well, I was having problem with something in a particular CMP dataset
              and am trying to figure out the best way to redo it to make it work
              the way it's supposed to. For this one particular, I've pretty much
              done it the way PCGEN does it, which I hope will work with what needs
              to happen.

              BTW, the list editor window needs some work. ;)

              Brandon

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                BTW, the list editor window needs some work. ;)

                That is in the works.

                Yeah, use whichever method feels best. Though drop a note to Barak so he
                can fix the sets before the CMP WotC deadline happens and then everyone
                is stuck with it.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                  I normally ignore these threads, but this one ended up being longer
                  than most, and included multiple posts from Andrew, so it piqued my
                  interest.

                  I'm the original author of the PCGen dragons, based on work by Emily
                  Smirle (I hope I spelled her name right). She got most parts of the
                  Green Dragon right (and that is if I remember the color right :p ),
                  and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
                  that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

                  Dragons in the 3.0 MM aren't "default", but are meant to be customized
                  - there is no spell list, no skill bonuses, or even feats listed for a
                  default. There are some generalities, but nothing "finished". Heck,
                  even the abilities are listed on a table, all based on age. So, with
                  the early stuff we had for Monster code, the true dragons completely
                  ignored, except using the newer code for MONSTERCLASS (automatically
                  granting certain class levels), which was designed for if someone
                  didn't want a default monster. Which worked great for the dragons,
                  that didn't have any default. :)

                  It makes things much easier to maintain (at least for me), and allows
                  for a critical part, that basically dictated that we needed to go to
                  it in the early days: Spellcasting levels work smoothly. Back then,
                  it was a bit messy.

                  Other factors: Allows a DM to move a dragon up a few HD w/o gaining
                  age, and with only a minor hiccup, move a dragon up an age if desired.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                    > and got me actually thinking of using the Class and HD bit. Before
                    > that, I did everything using classes and some templates.

                    That would be races and some templates..

                    I didn't really know any other file-types back then.

                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

                      Two reasons... dataset age and inertia. :p

                      First, age. Many of the tags necessary to do it the way it is done today
                      did not exist when the first sets were created (as noted by Tir earlier in
                      the thread). What with WotC pulling the CMP license, causing all of my data
                      minions to disappear and leaving just me tending the garden, there's been no
                      time to try and update to more current practices.

                      Second, inertia. When datasets were still being produced, many data monkeys
                      were new to data entry, so were pointed to the existing datasets to use as
                      examples. So, of course, they got built the same way.

                      Barak
                    • Brandon Morrison
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                        Gotcha. Thanks Barak and Tir and everyone else. I was just curious
                        and appreciate the history lesson.