[TM][Docs] 4e Skills / Training / Focus primer (WAS Re: CHOOSE troubles again...

  • jonbravo768
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20 10:40 PM
      <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
      .
      > 4) Now, we need to link the classes with which Trained Skill feats
      they grant.
      > 4a) Abilitycategory.lst:
      > 4a1) Setting up the parent ABILITYCATEGORY
      > ABILITYCATEGORY:MyClass Class Skills
      > VISIBLE:NO (We don't want to see the parent skill)
      > CATEGORY:Skills
      > <and all the other normal tags>
      >
      > 4a2) Setting up the child ABILITYCATEGORYes
      > ABILITYCATEGORY:MyClass Class Skills
      > VISIBLE:QUALIFY (this way will only display the class that has
      > choices, makes the UI cleaner)
      > EDITABLE:YES (you want to be able to select stuff)
      > CATEGORY:Skills
      > TYPE:MyClass
      > DISPLAYLOCATION:1st Level Skill Training

      First of all, thanks for posting this. Eventually stuff will start
      sticking and I'll be able to work on abilities without training wheels...

      This appears to tell me to make two entries in ability_categories.lst
      like this:

      ABILITYCATEGORY:Cleric Class Skills
      VISIBLE:NO
      EDITABLE:NO
      CATEGORY:Skills

      ABILITYCATEGORY:Cleric Class Skills
      VISIBLE:QUALIFY
      EDITABLE:YES
      CATEGORY:Skills
      TYPE:Cleric
      DISPLAYLOCATION:1st Level Skill Training

      The EDITABLE tag was the only normal one that seemed to fit (to me).
      The remaining directions seemed very straight forward to me. Very
      easy to understand.

      But I'm not getting any skills displayed on the 1st Level Skill
      Training tab.

      Hopefully there is something obvious (to you =) that I missed here,
      and it will all start working once I get direction.

      Putting both of these in the ability_categories.lst file with the same
      ABILITYCATEGORY didn't seem correct to me.

      What did I misinterpret?

      -Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 21 1:12 AM
        Don't make two entries identical.

        One should be the Parent and then the children, I think Tir have made a
        typo. In order to make a
        'super' category you need to make the CATEGORY and ABILITYCATEGORY the same.

        So for example.
        ABILITYCATEGORY:Skills
        CATEGORY:Skills
        VISIBLE:NO
        (With VISIBLE:NO you don't need editable, or editpool. Nothing will see
        this.)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21 5:07 AM
          4a1) should be ABILITYCATEGORY:Class Skills (technically, you could
          make it ANYTHING, since we won't be using it except as reference for
          the code to work)

          4a2) should be ABILITYCATEGORY:MyClass Class Skills (remember, you
          will need one of these per class.)

          Sorry for the confusion.

        • jonbravo768
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21 8:27 AM
            Hallelujah! I've finally gotten it to work!

            Thank you guys so much for steering me through this. Now I can move
            on to the next roadblock =)

            -Thomas