Chooser issues revisited 15.0.....

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
      Has anyone determined a) if the chooser issue is just my code, b) if
      not, how extensive is it?

      In particular, I can't get a CHOOSE:USERINPUT to work to save my life.
      I've copied the code from some other datasets and no luck. I've put it
      in a Feat and an Ability, and in the straight CLASS line. No luck.

      Just wondering where this was...

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
          Sorry, I accidentally responded. (Thought it was a mod email... silly
          web interface).

          I've gotten CHOOSE:USERINPUT to work before, though my issue was it
          would not save beyond the first try... however, that was ages ago and I
          have not had time to see if it works as intended... Now, about the
          CHOOSE issue you are having...

          Let's review choosers.

          1) They work when evoked - can't be in an AUTO or Virtual situation,
          only ADD will fire them
          2) They won't work if a MULT:YES is missing
          3) They only work in Ability/Feat and I think Templates

          Now, once we've established that we meet all three requirements then we
          must review the syntax.

          For the specific CHOOSE I see it is listed as working only in feats and
          abilities.

          The syntax is
          |CHOOSE:USERINPUT|1|TITLE="Hobby Name"|
          |So, We would change the "title" and we should have a working tag.|

          After I tested this, it worked. I evoked it by selecting it from a feat
          list. I noted that the title was absent but otherwise this worked as
          expected in this one test.

          So, now I need to test it from within a class call... I will use
          ADD:FEAT to evoke the selection, though if I was intending to make this
          a legit 5.15 style set, I would have made this an ability and used
          BONUS:ABILITYPOOL to add a point so I could instead take this. Since we
          want to avoid ADD:FEAT.

          Again this test passes with the same expected result.

          So, the conclusion I can think of is
          A) The circumstances are not being met
          B) Syntax error
          C) A really obscure bug that you are really good at digging up.
          Meh, I vote C, since you're notorious for that... :-P

          What I would like is just a sample of the problem syntax so our trained
          monkeys can look at it and fathom what is amiss. I am sure it is
          something easily overlooked.

          ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

          Andrew Maitland wrote:
          > Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote: Has anyone determined a) if the chooser issue is just my code, b) if
          > not, how extensive is it?
          >
          > In particular, I can't get a CHOOSE:USERINPUT to work to save my life.
          > I've copied the code from some other datasets and no luck. I've put it
          > in a Feat and an Ability, and in the straight CLASS line. No luck.
          >
          > Just wondering where this was...

        • Tom Parker
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
            <drew0500@...> wrote:
            > What I would like is just a sample of the problem syntax so our trained
            > monkeys can look at it and fathom what is amiss.

            Absolutely. This is too abstract of a discussion. We need specific
            data we can use to reproduce a problem.

            TP.
          • Shelley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
              Test it in an ability.

              There's obviously something still very weird going on with my version
              of stuff. You get stuff working looking exactly like what I have. You
              and Eddy get error messages I've never seen. He just sent an email
              where his error message on code was the polar opposite from the
              message I got.

              I'm really spinning my wheels on this and I don't think this is
              something I can fix.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
                Perhaps we should see if the build you have is somehow not getting built correctly.

                I'll test the CHOOSE in an ability... When I have a free moment. It's been a busy shift so far.

                -Andrew (At work)

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 12, 2008
                  Haven't forgotten... have a free moments... I'll run the tests and post
                  results... (Yes, still at work...)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 12, 2008
                    It worked... I don't know what else to say... I think we need to get
                    your build checked. See why it's giving you different warnings, and what
                    is up.

                    And for posterity I'll post my Lst files here:
                    PCC:
                    CAMPAIGN:Testing homebrew area trunk
                    RANK:1
                    GAMEMODE:35e
                    GENRE:Fantasy
                    BOOKTYPE:RSRD
                    SETTING:RSRD
                    TYPE:TESTING
                    PUBNAMELONG:Wizards of the Coast
                    PUBNAMESHORT:WotC
                    PUBNAMEWEB:http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd
                    SOURCELONG:Revised (v.3.5) System Reference Document
                    SOURCESHORT:RSRD
                    SOURCEWEB:http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
                    ISOGL:YES

                    ABILITYCATEGORY:test_abilities_cat.lst
                    ABILITY:test_abilities.lst
                    FEAT:test_feat.lst
                    CLASS:test_class.lst

                    ABILITY FILE:
                    Shelley Chooser woes TYPE:Testing CATEGORY:Special Ability
                    DESC:Testing the chooser CHOOSE:USERINPUT|1|TITLE="Hobby Name"
                    MULT:YES

                    ABILITY CATEGORY FILE:
                    ABILITYCATEGORY:Shelley Chooser woes TYPE:Testing CATEGORY:Special
                    Ability POOL:1 DISPLAYLOCATION:Testing

                    CLASS FILE:
                    CLASS:My Class TYPE:Base.PC HD:4 CSKILL:Climb
                    1 ADD:FEAT|Shelley Chooser woes

                    ---

                    End of the Test Files
                    Load it up with the RSRD complete set.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 12, 2008
                      You bet we do. I just updated and rebuilt and have errors from the
                      get go - can't get PCGen to come up now.