Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] [James] Re: Eyeballs requested - what the heck am I missing?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
      Eddy is correct... you're copying a Special Ability to make another Special Ability so the syntax is
      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=My Animal Companion

      Then, to to make modifications you use
      CATEGORY=Special Ability|My Animal Companion.MOD
      and then use the tags that need to be modified.

      Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
      Shelley scribed:

      > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
      > still getting these errors.

      I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
      Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
      FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
      Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
      SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

      You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
      done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
      docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
      category)

      The docs show:

      CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

      This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
      my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
      it was something like this:

      CATEGORY=|.COPY=

      So your line might be:

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Sentinel Animal Companion

      I might be wrong, this assumes you can't use COPY to make an ability a
      different CATEGORY but must be the same as the original. Anyway, try it and
      see if that makes the message go away.

      I've flagged James, he can confirm the syntax and I think the doc example
      needs to be more detailed.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)