Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Eyeballs requested - what the heck am I missing?

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
      Shelley wrote:
      > Is this a lowly monkey call or someone higher in the species? I hate
      > to back out stuff, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the updates
      > out there.
      >
      > Shelley

      It's up to you since you are the lead monkey on this dataset. It will
      still be available if you move forward with the trunk development, it
      just might not reach as wide an audience at first.

      If you anticipate that there may still be much troubleshooting then
      staying with the trunk may be the way to go.

      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
        As the monkey doing the work, the decision rests squarely with you.
        Personally, I'd say shoot this for 5.15 if you've already invested the time and effort. Or at least save the changes if you plan on back tracking as this work WILL need to be done eventually...

        -Andrew

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony
        wrote:

        > Tir Gwaith wrote:
        > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley wrote:
        > >
        > >> I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
        > >> flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special
        Ability|Blah
        > >> not found; .WHATEVER skipped
        > >>

        > > That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load.
        Make
        > > sure you are loading the source with the original item.
        > >

        > >> CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
        > >> Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
        > >>

        > > If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is
        > > FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
        > > Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
        > > Trunk), I believe this should be:
        > >
        > > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal
        Companion

        > > Cheerio!
        > >

        > hi Shelley
        > Looks like you might have a decision to make. You can either
        target
        > this set to be releases as an install package for 5.14.1 or you can
        > target this as a regular release in which case it can be developed
        in
        > the 5.15 trunk and put into alpha and released in that line.
        >
        > If you want to shoot for a 5.14 installer package you may have to
        back
        > track some recent changes due to the ability conversion project.
        >
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
        > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

      • Shelley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
          Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
          still getting these errors.

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley" <takenote61@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
          > flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
          > not found; .WHATEVER skipped
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
          > Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion.MOD
          > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
          > Animal Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
          > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
          > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|etcetera
          > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
          > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
          > Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD

          > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
          > Animal Companion|etcetera
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.FORGET
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Familiar.COPY=Summon Arcanis
          Familiar

          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Arcanis Familiar.MOD
          > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Familiar|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
          > Familiar|etcetera
          >
          > Shelley

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
            Shelley scribed:

            > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
            > still getting these errors.

            I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

            CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
            Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

            CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
            FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
            Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
            SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

            You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
            done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
            docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
            category)

            The docs show:

            CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

            This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
            my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
            it was something like this:

            So your line might be:

            CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Sentinel Animal Companion

            I might be wrong, this assumes you can't use COPY to make an ability a
            different CATEGORY but must be the same as the original. Anyway, try it and
            see if that makes the message go away.

            I've flagged James, he can confirm the syntax and I think the doc example
            needs to be more detailed.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
              Eddy is correct... you're copying a Special Ability to make another Special Ability so the syntax is
              CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=My Animal Companion

              Then, to to make modifications you use
              CATEGORY=Special Ability|My Animal Companion.MOD
              and then use the tags that need to be modified.

              Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
              Shelley scribed:

              > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
              > still getting these errors.

              I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

              CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
              Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

              CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
              FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
              Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
              SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

              You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
              done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
              docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
              category)

              The docs show:

              CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

              This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
              my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
              it was something like this:

              CATEGORY=|.COPY=