Re: Eyeballs requested - what the heck am I missing?

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
      Is this a lowly monkey call or someone higher in the species? I hate
      to back out stuff, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the updates
      out there.

      Shelley

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...>
      wrote:

      > Tir Gwaith wrote:
      > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
      > >> flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special
      Ability|Blah
      > >> not found; .WHATEVER skipped
      > >>

      > > That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load.
      Make
      > > sure you are loading the source with the original item.
      > >

      > >> CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
      > >> Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
      > >>

      > > If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is
      > > FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
      > > Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
      > > Trunk), I believe this should be:
      > >
      > > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal
      Companion

      > > Cheerio!
      > >

      > hi Shelley
      > Looks like you might have a decision to make. You can either
      target
      > this set to be releases as an install package for 5.14.1 or you can
      > target this as a regular release in which case it can be developed
      in
      > the 5.15 trunk and put into alpha and released in that line.
      >
      > If you want to shoot for a 5.14 installer package you may have to
      back
      > track some recent changes due to the ability conversion project.
      >
      > --
      > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
      > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
        Shelley wrote:
        > Is this a lowly monkey call or someone higher in the species? I hate
        > to back out stuff, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the updates
        > out there.
        >
        > Shelley

        It's up to you since you are the lead monkey on this dataset. It will
        still be available if you move forward with the trunk development, it
        just might not reach as wide an audience at first.

        If you anticipate that there may still be much troubleshooting then
        staying with the trunk may be the way to go.

        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
          As the monkey doing the work, the decision rests squarely with you.
          Personally, I'd say shoot this for 5.15 if you've already invested the time and effort. Or at least save the changes if you plan on back tracking as this work WILL need to be done eventually...

          -Andrew

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
            Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
            still getting these errors.

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley" <takenote61@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
            > flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
            > not found; .WHATEVER skipped
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
            > Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion.MOD
            > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
            > Animal Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
            > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
            > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|etcetera
            > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
            > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
            > Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD

            > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
            > Animal Companion|etcetera
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.FORGET
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Familiar.COPY=Summon Arcanis
            Familiar

            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Arcanis Familiar.MOD
            > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Familiar|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
            > Familiar|etcetera
            >
            > Shelley

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
              Shelley scribed:

              > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
              > still getting these errors.

              I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

              CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
              Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

              CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
              FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
              Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
              SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

              You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
              done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
              docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
              category)

              The docs show:

              CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

              This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
              my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
              it was something like this:

              So your line might be:

              CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Sentinel Animal Companion

              I might be wrong, this assumes you can't use COPY to make an ability a
              different CATEGORY but must be the same as the original. Anyway, try it and
              see if that makes the message go away.

              I've flagged James, he can confirm the syntax and I think the doc example
              needs to be more detailed.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                Eddy is correct... you're copying a Special Ability to make another Special Ability so the syntax is
                CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=My Animal Companion

                Then, to to make modifications you use
                CATEGORY=Special Ability|My Animal Companion.MOD
                and then use the tags that need to be modified.

                Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
                Shelley scribed:

                > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
                > still getting these errors.

                I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

                CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

                CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
                FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
                SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

                You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
                done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
                docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
                category)

                The docs show:

                CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

                This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
                my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
                it was something like this:

                CATEGORY=|.COPY=