Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Eyeballs requested - what the heck am I missing?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3 1:27 PM
      On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
      > I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
      > flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
      > not found; .WHATEVER skipped

      That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load. Make
      sure you are loading the source with the original item.

      > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
      > Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)

      If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is a
      FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
      Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
      Trunk), I believe this should be:

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal Companion

      Cheerio!

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3 1:38 PM
        Tir Gwaith wrote:
        > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
        >> flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
        >> not found; .WHATEVER skipped
        >>

        > That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load. Make
        > sure you are loading the source with the original item.
        >

        >> CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
        >> Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
        >>

        > If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is a
        > FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
        > Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
        > Trunk), I believe this should be:
        >
        > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal Companion
        >
        > Cheerio!

        hi Shelley
        Looks like you might have a decision to make. You can either target
        this set to be releases as an install package for 5.14.1 or you can
        target this as a regular release in which case it can be developed in
        the 5.15 trunk and put into alpha and released in that line.

        If you want to shoot for a 5.14 installer package you may have to back
        track some recent changes due to the ability conversion project.

        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Shelley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3 2:21 PM
          Is this a lowly monkey call or someone higher in the species? I hate
          to back out stuff, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the updates
          out there.

          Shelley

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...>
          wrote:

          > Tir Gwaith wrote:
          > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
          > >
          > >> I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
          > >> flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special
          Ability|Blah
          > >> not found; .WHATEVER skipped
          > >>

          > > That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load.
          Make
          > > sure you are loading the source with the original item.
          > >

          > >> CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
          > >> Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
          > >>

          > > If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is
          > > FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
          > > Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
          > > Trunk), I believe this should be:
          > >
          > > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal
          Companion

          > > Cheerio!
          > >

          > hi Shelley
          > Looks like you might have a decision to make. You can either
          target
          > this set to be releases as an install package for 5.14.1 or you can
          > target this as a regular release in which case it can be developed
          in
          > the 5.15 trunk and put into alpha and released in that line.
          >
          > If you want to shoot for a 5.14 installer package you may have to
          back
          > track some recent changes due to the ability conversion project.
          >
          > --
          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
          > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3 2:39 PM
            Shelley wrote:
            > Is this a lowly monkey call or someone higher in the species? I hate
            > to back out stuff, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the updates
            > out there.
            >
            > Shelley

            It's up to you since you are the lead monkey on this dataset. It will
            still be available if you move forward with the trunk development, it
            just might not reach as wide an audience at first.

            If you anticipate that there may still be much troubleshooting then
            staying with the trunk may be the way to go.

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3 5:26 PM
              As the monkey doing the work, the decision rests squarely with you.
              Personally, I'd say shoot this for 5.15 if you've already invested the time and effort. Or at least save the changes if you plan on back tracking as this work WILL need to be done eventually...

              -Andrew

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3 8:29 PM
                Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
                still getting these errors.

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley" <takenote61@...>
                wrote:

                > I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
                > flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
                > not found; .WHATEVER skipped
                >
                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                > Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
                >
                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion.MOD
                > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
                > Animal Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|etcetera
                > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
                > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
                >
                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                > Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)
                >
                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD

                > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
                > Animal Companion|etcetera
                >
                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.FORGET
                >
                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Familiar.COPY=Summon Arcanis
                Familiar

                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Arcanis Familiar.MOD
                > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Familiar|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
                > Familiar|etcetera
                >
                > Shelley

              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3 8:58 PM
                  Shelley scribed:

                  > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
                  > still getting these errors.

                  I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

                  CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                  Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

                  CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
                  FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                  Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
                  SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

                  You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
                  done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
                  docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
                  category)

                  The docs show:

                  CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

                  This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
                  my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
                  it was something like this:

                  So your line might be:

                  CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Sentinel Animal Companion

                  I might be wrong, this assumes you can't use COPY to make an ability a
                  different CATEGORY but must be the same as the original. Anyway, try it and
                  see if that makes the message go away.

                  I've flagged James, he can confirm the syntax and I think the doc example
                  needs to be more detailed.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3 9:10 PM
                    Eddy is correct... you're copying a Special Ability to make another Special Ability so the syntax is
                    CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=My Animal Companion

                    Then, to to make modifications you use
                    CATEGORY=Special Ability|My Animal Companion.MOD
                    and then use the tags that need to be modified.

                    Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
                    Shelley scribed:

                    > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
                    > still getting these errors.

                    I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

                    CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                    Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

                    CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
                    FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                    Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
                    SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

                    You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
                    done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
                    docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
                    category)

                    The docs show:

                    CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

                    This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
                    my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
                    it was something like this:

                    CATEGORY=|.COPY=