Eyeballs requested - what the heck am I missing?

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
      I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
      flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
      not found; .WHATEVER skipped

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
      Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion.MOD
      FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
      Animal Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
      Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
      Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|etcetera
      COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
      COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
      Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
      FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
      Animal Companion|etcetera

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.FORGET

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Familiar.COPY=Summon Arcanis Familiar

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Arcanis Familiar.MOD
      FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Familiar|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
      Familiar|etcetera

      Shelley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
        On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
        > I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
        > flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
        > not found; .WHATEVER skipped

        That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load. Make
        sure you are loading the source with the original item.

        > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
        > Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)

        If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is a
        FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
        Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
        Trunk), I believe this should be:

        CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal Companion

        Cheerio!

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
          Tir Gwaith wrote:
          > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
          >> flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
          >> not found; .WHATEVER skipped
          >>

          > That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load. Make
          > sure you are loading the source with the original item.
          >

          >> CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
          >> Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
          >>

          > If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is a
          > FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
          > Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
          > Trunk), I believe this should be:
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal Companion
          >
          > Cheerio!

          hi Shelley
          Looks like you might have a decision to make. You can either target
          this set to be releases as an install package for 5.14.1 or you can
          target this as a regular release in which case it can be developed in
          the 5.15 trunk and put into alpha and released in that line.

          If you want to shoot for a 5.14 installer package you may have to back
          track some recent changes due to the ability conversion project.

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Shelley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
            Is this a lowly monkey call or someone higher in the species? I hate
            to back out stuff, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the updates
            out there.

            Shelley

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...>
            wrote:

            > Tir Gwaith wrote:
            > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
            > >> flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special
            Ability|Blah
            > >> not found; .WHATEVER skipped
            > >>

            > > That means what you are basing it on is not being found on load.
            Make
            > > sure you are loading the source with the original item.
            > >

            > >> CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
            > >> Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
            > >>

            > > If you are using 5.14, these will fail, since Animal Companion is
            > > FEAT, not Ability with CATEGORY Special Ability...
            > > Also, if it is a Special Ability Category (like 5.15, and the SVN
            > > Trunk), I believe this should be:
            > >
            > > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Arcanis Animal
            Companion

            > > Cheerio!
            > >

            > hi Shelley
            > Looks like you might have a decision to make. You can either
            target
            > this set to be releases as an install package for 5.14.1 or you can
            > target this as a regular release in which case it can be developed
            in
            > the 5.15 trunk and put into alpha and released in that line.
            >
            > If you want to shoot for a 5.14 installer package you may have to
            back
            > track some recent changes due to the ability conversion project.
            >
            > --
            > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
            > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
              Shelley wrote:
              > Is this a lowly monkey call or someone higher in the species? I hate
              > to back out stuff, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the updates
              > out there.
              >
              > Shelley

              It's up to you since you are the lead monkey on this dataset. It will
              still be available if you move forward with the trunk development, it
              just might not reach as wide an audience at first.

              If you anticipate that there may still be much troubleshooting then
              staying with the trunk may be the way to go.

              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                As the monkey doing the work, the decision rests squarely with you.
                Personally, I'd say shoot this for 5.15 if you've already invested the time and effort. Or at least save the changes if you plan on back tracking as this work WILL need to be done eventually...

                -Andrew

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
                  still getting these errors.

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley" <takenote61@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I'm not seeing what's wrong with these and they're all getting
                  > flagged the same way. It's telling me CATEGORY=Special Ability|Blah
                  > not found; .WHATEVER skipped
                  >
                  > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                  > Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion)
                  >
                  > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Arcanis Animal Companion.MOD
                  > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
                  > Animal Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                  > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                  > Companion|etcetera COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|etcetera
                  > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
                  > COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal Companion|etcetera
                  >
                  > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                  > Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)
                  >
                  > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD

                  > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
                  > Animal Companion|etcetera
                  >
                  > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.FORGET
                  >
                  > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Familiar.COPY=Summon Arcanis
                  Familiar

                  > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Summon Arcanis Familiar.MOD
                  > FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Familiar|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis
                  > Familiar|etcetera
                  >
                  > Shelley

                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Shelley scribed:

                    > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
                    > still getting these errors.

                    I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

                    CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                    Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

                    CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
                    FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                    Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
                    SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

                    You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
                    done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
                    docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
                    category)

                    The docs show:

                    CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

                    This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
                    my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
                    it was something like this:

                    So your line might be:

                    CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=Sentinel Animal Companion

                    I might be wrong, this assumes you can't use COPY to make an ability a
                    different CATEGORY but must be the same as the original. Anyway, try it and
                    see if that makes the message go away.

                    I've flagged James, he can confirm the syntax and I think the doc example
                    needs to be more detailed.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                      Eddy is correct... you're copying a Special Ability to make another Special Ability so the syntax is
                      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=My Animal Companion

                      Then, to to make modifications you use
                      CATEGORY=Special Ability|My Animal Companion.MOD
                      and then use the tags that need to be modified.

                      Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
                      Shelley scribed:

                      > Regardless of whether I'm using 5.14 or 5.15.xx from my build, I'm
                      > still getting these errors.

                      I suspect the problem is with lines like these:

                      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Animal Companion.COPY=(CATEGORY=Special
                      Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion)

                      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Sentinel Animal Companion.MOD
                      FOLLOWERS:Arcanis Animal Companion|1 COMPANIONLIST:Arcanis Animal
                      Companion|Cat,Dire Animal (Dire Rat),Dog,Dog (Riding)
                      SOURCELONG:Player's Guide to Arcanis SOURCEPAGE:p.69

                      You are using .COPY to create a new ability from an existing one, I haven't
                      done this myself yet (prefer to create stand alone object) and I see the
                      docs say there is a new format for it (as we must make reference to
                      category)

                      The docs show:

                      CATEGORY=(foo)|(key).COPY

                      This seems incomplete to me (doesn't show the syntax for the new name) but
                      my first guess is that the parentheses are not part of the systax, I'd think
                      it was something like this:

                      CATEGORY=|.COPY=