Revisiting regional feats

  • dm_bolan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
      I know theres been discussion about how to port "regional" feats from
      a 3.0 sourcebook. I'm going down that path and have a few questions.

      The sourcebook indicates that each race is given to certain regions,
      and also defines a certain "cultural/racial region". Then each class
      has a specific set of selectable regions for that class.

      The first set, the racial ones isn't really binding, because the
      choices are a subset of the class selected regions. So it is the
      class based region selection that needs to be implemented in PC gen.

      All the discussion I've seen regarding this has been geared towards
      adding regional feats based on a choose|template driven off the race
      file. That seems wrong to me.

      In my races list file (mind you simple example here) I can get the
      choose function to pick a region at the time the race is selected:

      TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:Region2|Region1

      A similar attempt to add these via class rather than race did not
      work. I am fairly familiar with the race file modifications, but the
      class file has me baffled.

      So here's where I'm at

      1. I have "templates" built of all my regions.
      2. I have my PCC file loading the languages, templates, the races and
      the classes
      3. The races are a mix of new races as well as .MODs to some old ones
      4. The class file is empty, I wish to override, (mod) the classes
      rather than recreate them.
      5. The ruleset loads with an error saying that the compiler is
      expecting "LEVEL" in my class definition (I suspect I have syntax
      wrong).

      What I need to happen is the regional selection needs to come up when
      the class is selected. Once the region is selected, I will need to
      have a regional language assigned, as well as adding choices to the
      feat selection for my custom regional feats.

      Dang I wish I was using PCgen before the CMP license ran out ;)

      Funny story, the first time I met the famous Canadian librarian was
      probably in about 1987-8. We were holding an online forum (yes back
      in the old Q-Link/America Online/GEnie days, we had 1200 baud modems
      and we were "the bomb" - 6 cents a minute access fees.) TSR
      had "online" role playing more than 20 years ago). However, it was
      difficult because he didn't live anywhere near a dial-up access node.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 26, 2008
        Using 5.14?

        Make each Region an ability... Then in each Ability use PRERACE and
        PRECLASS to get those requirements set up correctly.

        Since you can't use the Speak Language method ATM, you will need to use
        BONUS:LANG or whatever the correct tag is within the ability... That
        should get you started in the correct direction.

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 26, 2008
          Yes using 5.14

          Okay I'll go read up on those.

          I'm guessing I'll be back :)

          I have to say, as a software engineer, online game professional and
          long-time D&D DM, the PCgen framework is well thought out. I've
          wrestled with the ruleset logistics in software unsuccessfully
          several times - I've found a new playground - PCgen!

          <drew0500@...> wrote:

> [...]
          when
          > > the class is selected. Once the region is selected, I will need
          > > have a regional language assigned, as well as adding choices to
          the
          > > feat selection for my custom regional feats.
          > >
          > > Dang I wish I was using PCgen before the CMP license ran out ;)
          > >
          > > Funny story, the first time I met the famous Canadian librarian
          was
          > > probably in about 1987-8. We were holding an online forum (yes
          back
          > > in the old Q-Link/America Online/GEnie days, we had 1200 baud
          modems
          > > and we were "the bomb" - 6 cents a minute access fees.) TSR
          > > had "online" role playing more than 20 years ago). However, it
          was
          > > difficult because he didn't live anywhere near a dial-up access

        • dm_bolan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 27, 2008
            Okay I'm back :)

            I haven't had a ton of time to work on this last few days but I have
            made some "progress". I understand how to work with PCgen, but lack
            understanding of how to implement things.

            Per your suggestion, I added a custom abilities LST file. In that
            file, I created on ability for each of my regions. Example:

            FooRegion<>REGION:FooRegion<>VISIBLE:YES<>CATEGORY:Regional
            Home<>COST:0<>SOURCEPAGE:Custom

            Visible - selected yes because I assume I want them to show up in UI
            Category - defined in the custom abilitiy_categories LST file
            Cost - selected zero, because it doesn't count against the feat or
            skill point counters. Not sure which cost this is associated with,
            since I haven't set up a custom "pool". I'm a little fuzzy here.

            Okay - so with the ability table set, I can see the abilities (while
            I had them under feats they all showed up, now I use the subtab.
            (question about the subtab - in_feat works, but I wasn't able to use
            a custom tab name - where are those kept/modified?)

            Now, upon character creation, I need to invoke a chooser that lists
            all of the abilities of category "Regional Home".

            Second, I will need to add the auto and bonus languages and feat
            associated with each region.

            Before, I was using the chooser on the race selection, but its really
            a class thing. So with it being set for abilities, instead of a class
            modification, where would you put a chooser function and how does it
            populate from the abilities list?

            I looked at the preclass/prerace tags. I assume I would want to use
            something like PRELEVEL:MIN=1 and PRECLASS:1,ANY so that any
            character could select a region. Are you suggesting adding these tags
            so they show up in the avialable list on my subtab? If thats the
            case, I need to have a "pool" of one, so that it can be selected.

            Sorry for all the questions, I will be getting smarter as I go :)
            Thanks in advance.

            - Bo
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 27, 2008
              Wow, a bit of a system overload there...

              You don't need a chooser. If you set up your PRExxx tags properly, then
              the only choices available WILL be the ones the character qualifies for...

              So, let me make this simple:
              I create my character
              Alignment, Race, 1st level class
              Choose my Region Ability

              Based upon Race and Class, the Regional Abilities should be sufficiently
              filtered down to the choices you want, is this a correct assumption?

              Inside the Abilities themselves you place the proper stuff... Bonus
              language if that works, bonus to skill points, SAB tag if they have a
              special ability, DESC tag if you need that too. An ability can do
              everything a feat can, plus a little bit more. Use the AUTO:FEAT or
              VFEAT tag to add the feat(s) the regional deal gets.

              Yes, if you want to enforce the character choose the Region at first
              level use PREPCLEVEL:MAX=1
              To limit a to a certain class, PRECLASS:1,MyClass, or if they can't be
              of x class !PRECLASS:1,MyForbiddenClass... PRERACE:1,RACETYPE=Humanoid
              or PRERACE:1,Human or PRERACE:1,Elf% (any elf can take)...

              You don't need a COST:0 tag, inside your ability category file, make the
              POOL:1, all characters will begin with one choice.

              The Ability list will have any type you have made.

              Does that help out?

              Okay, so now that you've finished reading this, I've actually answered
              all the questions in line.... below ;-)

              dm_bolan wrote:
              > Okay I'm back :)
              >
              > I haven't had a ton of time to work on this last few days but I have
              > made some "progress". I understand how to work with PCgen, but lack
              > understanding of how to implement things.
              >
              > Per your suggestion, I added a custom abilities LST file. In that
              > file, I created on ability for each of my regions. Example:
              >
              > FooRegion<>REGION:FooRegion<>VISIBLE:YES<>CATEGORY:Regional
              > Home<>COST:0<>SOURCEPAGE:Custom

              Add TYPE:Regional Home
              Remove COST:0
              > Visible - selected yes because I assume I want them to show up in UI
              > Category - defined in the custom abilitiy_categories LST file
              > Cost - selected zero, because it doesn't count against the feat or
              > skill point counters. Not sure which cost this is associated with,
              > since I haven't set up a custom "pool". I'm a little fuzzy here.

              VISIBLE:YES or DISPLAY works. And hopefully we will get QUALIFY to be a
              valid choice. :-)
              POOL:1
              > Okay - so with the ability table set, I can see the abilities (while
              > I had them under feats they all showed up, now I use the subtab.
              > (question about the subtab - in_feat works, but I wasn't able to use
              > a custom tab name - where are those kept/modified?)

              What name do you want? DISPLAYLOCATION:x is the tag to make a tab, it's
              used in the ability category file.
              > Now, upon character creation, I need to invoke a chooser that lists
              > all of the abilities of category "Regional Home".

              Regional Home will be visible in the list if you sort by TYPE/Name
              > Second, I will need to add the auto and bonus languages and feat
              > associated with each region.

              Grant it by the ability using AUTO:FEAT or VFEAT and the proper tags.
              > Before, I was using the chooser on the race selection, but its really
              > a class thing. So with it being set for abilities, instead of a class
              > modification, where would you put a chooser function and how does it
              > populate from the abilities list?

              Don't need a chooser, all your choices are there. We went with the
              Ability object to remove pesky pop ups so you aren't forced to make a
              choice before everything is in place.
              > I looked at the preclass/prerace tags. I assume I would want to use
              > something like PRELEVEL:MIN=1 and PRECLASS:1,ANY so that any
              > character could select a region. Are you suggesting adding these tags
              > so they show up in the avialable list on my subtab? If thats the
              > case, I need to have a "pool" of one, so that it can be selected.

              PREPCLEVEL:MAX=1
              Don't need a PRECLASS:1,ANY tag, if any class can take it, then don't
              use the PRECLASS tag.
              > Sorry for all the questions, I will be getting smarter as I go :)
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > - Bo

            • dm_bolan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 27, 2008
                You rock. Thank you.

                Once I gain some level of mastery here, I'll contribute what I can.

                Thanks again.

                um, I'll probably be back in 24 - 48 hours

                - Bo
              • dm_bolan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 27, 2008
                  Everything seems to be in order except my regional home tab doesn't
                  have any choices. (Should be 2) Tab is there, pool is 1. type shows
                  up under type/name - but the choices section is empty.

                  Which tag in the abilities lst associates it with the tab?
                  Current ability category:

                  ABILITYCATEGORY:Regional
                  Home<>VISIBLE:YES<>EDITABLE:NO<>EDITPOOL:YES<>FRACTIONALPOOL:NO<>POOL:
                  1<>DISPLAYLOCATION:Region

                  Current abilities:
                  Region1<>REGION:Region1<>VISIBLE:YES<>TYPE:Regional
                  Home<>PREPCLEVEL:MAX=1<>CATEGORY:Regional Home<>SOURCEPAGE:Custom
                  Region2<>REGION:Region2<>VISIBLE:YES<>TYPE:Regional
                  Home<>PREPCLEVEL:MAX=1<>CATEGORY:Regional Home<>SOURCEPAGE:Custom

                  Obviously I'll add the pre-req class/races and also add the
                  feats/bonuses after the list seems to be getting populated.

                  LST files don't care about how many tabs are in them correct? and Tag
                  order isn't usually a concern? Just a reality check. Answer when you
                  have a chance.

                  - Bo

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 28, 2008
                      Well now I'm just rolling along :)

                      Hey, I still get a chooser popup for some reason. It looks like pool is
                      set because the Region tab has 0/1 and the left side is properly
                      populated right now. When I select a region and push it to the right, I
                      get the chooser. Total number of selections remaining = -1 however,
                      simply closing the box, the region is added.

                      Cosmetic issue but I'd like to get it figured out.

                      Again thanks for your patience and help.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 28, 2008
                        Do you have something with a CHOOSE in it? If you need a CHOOSE without
                        the pop up, use CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 3, 2008
                          The less you hear from me the better off I must be doing :)

                          Okay, here is in summation where I'm at and what issues/challenges I
                          haven't mastered yet. Oh great code monkies smile on me :)

                          As you know, this is a total conversion of a published 3rd edition
                          campaign source book for a popular campaign setting. The goal of the
                          current segment is to get the regional feat system implemented.

                          Current custom LST files with:

                          my_languages.lst : Contains all of the supplemental languages that
                          the regional selections allow:

                          RegionalLanguage1
                          TYPE:Spoken.Written.Read

                          New lines = tabs.

                          my_abilities.lst : contains all the regions, pre-reqs etc. Similar to
                          this:

                          RegionName1
                          REGION:RegionName1
                          VISIBLE:YES
                          CATEGORY:Regional Home
                          TYPE:Regional Home
                          PREPCLEVEL:MAX=1
                          PRECLASS:1,Fighter=1,Rogue=1
                          LANGAUTO:RegionalLanguage1,Common
                          SOURCEPAGE:Custom

                          New lines = tabs.

                          my_ability_categories.lst : Contains the regional home ability type

                          ABILITYCATEGORY:Regional Home
                          VISIBLE:YES
                          EDITABLE:YES
                          EDITPOOL:YES
                          FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
                          POOL:1
                          DISPLAYLOCATION:Region

                          my_races.lst : custom races direction from the campaign sourcebook.
                          Where appropriate a similar sub-type was copied. In some cases, .MOD
                          was used. This example is typical:

                          Halfling (custom_type)
                          FAVCLASS:Rogue
                          STARTFEATS:2
                          SIZE:S
                          MOVE:Walk,20
                          FACE:5
                          REACH:5
                          LANGAUTO:Common,Halfling
                          LANGBONUS:Dwarven,Gnoll,Goblin,RegionalLanguage1,RegionalLanguage2
                          BONUS:STAT|STR|-2
                          BONUS:STAT|DEX|2
                          BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.Thrown,TOHIT.Sling|1|TYPE=Racial
                          BONUS:SKILL|Climb,Jump,Listen,Move Silently|2|TYPE=Racial
                          SAB:+2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear
                          RACETYPE:Humanoid
                          RACESUBTYPE:Halfling
                          TYPE:Humanoid
                          CR:1/2
                          SOURCEPAGE:custom.rtf

                          my_feats.lst : contains all of the supplemental feats for this
                          sourcebook. A sample:

                          RegionalFeatName1
                          TYPE:General
                          PREPCLEVEL:1
                          DESC:This is one of the regional feats.

                          The PCC loads these five files in addition to the Campaign RSRD.

                          Now, my questions....

                          I need to put a pre-requisite on each regional feat that is a list of
                          regions. The character must select a region however, that doesn't
                          seem to populate the "REGION" tag - how do I get the Region selection
                          based on class and race to be interrogated by the pre-reqs on the
                          regional feat? I think my answer is PREMULT?

                          The feats grant additional possible bonus languages. However, by the
                          time the player has selected a region, its way past selection of
                          bonus languages time. How do I build a list of bonus languages first
                          from race, then from region selection and not let the user proceed
                          until the whole list is available to choose from?

                          Under this system, the regional feat for a cleric, is based upon his
                          deity/domain system. Once I create the deities, how exactly will I
                          set the regional feats to allow a pre-req of cleric class, specific
                          domain?

                          Any other observations about my methods greatly appreciated. In
                          general, the bonus and auto languages assigned by regional feats
                          supercede the original racial based selections. In the case of the
                          feats, it is a supplmental choice in addition to other feat choices
                          available to the character.

                          Thanks again in advance, take your time, I know I ask some long-ass
                          questions ;)
                        • Shelley
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 4, 2008
                            For the campaign book I'm working on, I handled the Regions a bit
                            differently. Not a criticism - just a different way.

                            I used Templates. One for the main, overlying region, which then
                            makes them pick subregions which are also templates. By assigning
                            region and subregions on the appropriate template lines, I could use
                            PREREGION and PRESUBREGION all over the place.

                            As for your cleric issue, a PREMULT would be the way to go.

                            Shelley

                            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "dm_bolan" <execsys@...>
                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > bonus languages time. How do I build a list of bonus languages
                            first
                            > from race, then from region selection and not let the user proceed
                            > until the whole list is available to choose from?
                            >
                            > Under this system, the regional feat for a cleric, is based upon
                            his
                            > deity/domain system. Once I create the deities, how exactly will I
                            > set the regional feats to allow a pre-req of cleric class, specific
                            > domain?
                            >
                            > Any other observations about my methods greatly appreciated. In
                            > general, the bonus and auto languages assigned by regional feats
                            > supercede the original racial based selections. In the case of the
                            > feats, it is a supplmental choice in addition to other feat choices
                            > available to the character.
                            >
                            > Thanks again in advance, take your time, I know I ask some long-ass

                          • dm_bolan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
                              Sorry it was at Mr. Maitlands suggestion I used abilities.

                              I really could still use some help on the stuff in this thread. I'm
                              diligently workingon deities and domains while work on the regional
                              feats is stalled.

                              Any help appreciated.

                              Also, if anyone is interested, I'm running a 3.5 game on Fantasy
                              Grounds using PCGen as the character system. Contact me if you want
                              details.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
                                You can use either method... the results are the same.

                                Send me a private email, or jump on AIM/YAHOO/MSN/IRC (whatever medium
                                you prefer) and I can help you finish your project...

                                Oooh goodie a game eh?

                                Though I prefer the free method - Fantasy Grounds is nice... rptools has
                                a nice free mapping program we use for our games.

                                dm_bolan wrote:
                                > Sorry it was at Mr. Maitlands suggestion I used abilities.
                                >
                                > I really could still use some help on the stuff in this thread. I'm
                                > diligently workingon deities and domains while work on the regional
                                > feats is stalled.
                                >
                                > Any help appreciated.
                                >
                                > Also, if anyone is interested, I'm running a 3.5 game on Fantasy
                                > Grounds using PCGen as the character system. Contact me if you want
                                > details.

                              • dm_bolan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                                  Fantasy grounds II integrates nicely with PCGen. I ran my first session
                                  (first DMing in years, first 3.5 ever) and the combination and FGII and
                                  PCGen and Skype worked exceptionally well.

                                  The link to my fantasy grounds campaign is here:

                                  http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8574