Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Spell LST "Stat" info for newbie

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2008
      Hi Dawn!

      On May 29, 2008, at 10:10 PM, dbbakerga wrote:
      > First off I'd like to say how much I love your software and how
      > helpful this Yahoo group has been. (I just wish WoTC would have
      > given the rights to more of their books!)

      Thak you and so do we . . . :-)

      > I just discovered that you can add new spells via the Spell LST
      > editor so I'm adding a bunch from my "Masters of the Wild" book. I
      > just have a question - there's a box under "Descriptor" called "Stat"
      > that I can't find any info about in the on-line documentation. Can
      > you tell me what that does and some examples of what it should look
      > like when entered correctly?

      What version of PCGen are you using and are you accessing the docs
      from that version? I'm looking at the latest docs and I don't see
      "Descriptor" or a box called "Stat".

      > (You also might want to add to the documentation what the "Desc
      > Product Identity" and "Product Identity" boxes mean and when they
      > should/should not be checked. I finally figured it out via this
      > group, but it would be nicer if it was in the documentation.)

      These are defined in the text below the image of the Spell Editor/
      Base Tab, in the latest docs.

      > I'd love to see this particular book added to your sources, but when
      > I was checking the publisher's info you have listed I couldn't find
      > the liason's information. His name was listed, but I couldn't find
      > an e-mail address, phone number, or physical address anywhere. Does
      > he work for WoTC or the publisher? (I just found the distributing
      > publisher as Holtzbrinck - should I look there?)

      This particular book, and most of WotC's other books, are closed
      content and we do not have permission to include datasets based upon
      them in our distribution.

      There is though, nothing stopping you from encoding the book
      yourself, as you have already noted. The good folks on this list can
      help you with any questions you might have.

      As for the publisher contact info, we do not include it intentionally
      as we would prefer that all contact with the publishers run through
      our capable Publisher Liaisons.

      > Thanks again for all your help!

      Not a problem! Thats why we are here . . . :-)

      Eric Smith
      PR Silverback
      PCGen Project
    • Susan Dittmar
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2008
        > P.S. I'm glad to see another woman on here!

        :-)
      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2008
          The Ninja Monkeys are very non discriminatory around here, they just
          try to assassinate everyone equally <shrug> ;)

          Kar

          > > P.S. I'm glad to see another woman on here!
          >
          > :-)

        • Dawn Baker
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2008
            Hi Eric,

            I just realized some things - I wasn't using the Help Documentation
            under "Menu Items"/"Tools"/"List Tools" - didn't even see it. I went
            straight to "List Files"/"LST File Class"/"Lesson #7: .lst Spell
            Basics" - which doesn't talk about Product Description, Prod. Desc.
            Identity, etc.

            > > I just discovered that you can add new spells via the Spell LST
            > > editor so I'm adding a bunch from my "Masters of the Wild" book. I
            > > just have a question - there's a box under "Descriptor" called "Stat"
            > > that I can't find any info about in the on-line documentation. Can
            > > you tell me what that does and some examples of what it should look
            > > like when entered correctly?
            > >

            >What version of PCGen are you using and are you accessing the docs
            >from that version? I'm looking at the latest docs and I don't see
            >"Descriptor" or a box called "Stat".

            I'm running version 5.12.1. and the boxes are on the very first
            window, "Base." I found out that "Descriptor" is for the brief
            description of the spell and it is underneath the "School" and
            "Sub-School" boxes. Underneath it, is the "Stat" box. (It's above
            the "Allowed Magic Types" boxes.)

            The window I'm getting doesn't match the window that's in the Help Docs.

            > > (You also might want to add to the documentation what the "Desc
            > > Product Identity" and "Product Identity" boxes mean and when they
            > > should/should not be checked. I finally figured it out via this
            > > group, but it would be nicer if it was in the documentation.)
            > >

            >These are defined in the text below the image of the Spell Editor/
            >Base Tab, in the latest docs.

            Found out I was looking at a different place in the Help Docs.

            > > I'd love to see this particular book added to your sources, but when
            > > I was checking the publisher's info you have listed I couldn't find
            > > the liason's information. His name was listed, but I couldn't find
            > > an e-mail address, phone number, or physical address anywhere. Does
            > > he work for WoTC or the publisher? (I just found the distributing
            > > publisher as Holtzbrinck - should I look there?)
            > >

            >This particular book, and most of WotC's other books, are closed
            >content and we do not have permission to include datasets based upon
            >them in our distribution.
            >
            >There is though, nothing stopping you from encoding the book
            >yourself, as you have already noted. The good folks on this list can
            >help you with any questions you might have.
            >
            >As for the publisher contact info, we do not include it intentionally
            >as we would prefer that all contact with the publishers run through
            >our capable Publisher Liaisons.
            >
            > > Thanks again for all your help!
            > >

            >Not a problem! Thats why we are here . . . :-)
            >
            >Eric Smith
            >PR Silverback
            >PCGen Project

            Thanks for such a quick reply. I can't believe you guys do this for
            free!! You wouldn't consider working on my web development software,
            would you? :-) (Their support SUCKS and I had to pay for it!)

            You guys are great!

            Dawn

            Dawn Baker
            PrimaDawna Soaps & Scrubs
            www.PrimaDawnaSoaps.com

          • Dawn Baker
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30, 2008
              Whoops - slipped on Monkey doo! Didn't realize that my response was
              going back to whole group! If it's off-topic I'll make sure I
              respond to individual e-mail. :-[

              Dawn

              P.S. Barbara - have you heard, on YouTube, Tripod's song, "Hot Girl
              (or Chick) in the Comic Book Store"? It's funny!

              At 08:21 AM 5/30/2008, you wrote:

              >The Ninja Monkeys are very non discriminatory around here, they just
              >try to assassinate everyone equally <shrug> ;)
              >
              >Kar
              >
              > > > P.S. I'm glad to see another woman on here!
              > >
              > > :-)

              Dawn Baker
              PrimaDawna Soaps & Scrubs
              www.PrimaDawnaSoaps.com

            • Dawn Baker
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2008
                Apologies, Susan - not Barbara!!

                At 08:03 AM 5/30/2008, you wrote:

                > > P.S. I'm glad to see another woman on here!
                >
                >:-)

                Dawn Baker
                PrimaDawna Soaps & Scrubs
                www.PrimaDawnaSoaps.com