Re: Is there a way to reference the damage die size of a weapon?

  • jwelmore49
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2008
      It's a usability tweak for a homebrew dataset I'm working on for my
      gaming group.

      I'm borrowing an idea from the pre-generated characters for D&D 4th
      Edition which showed the martial abilities' damage output in line with
      the power description; instead of a character sheet saying "you do
      double weapon damage plus your Strength modifier", it said something
      like "you do 2d8 + 3 damage".

      I've defined two new variables in statsandchecks.lst -- I've cloned
      the 35e gamemode to hack on -- called "PrimaryWeaponDice" and
      "PrimaryWeaponDieType", and those variables are populated by
      referencing the TYPE I've added to my weapons: a weapon with TYPE=1D8
      sets PrimaryWeaponDice to "1" and PrimaryWeaponDieType to 8, etc.

      My ability descriptions look something like "SAB:You do %d% + %
      damage|(PrimaryWeaponDice*2)|PrimaryWeaponDieType|STR", and they work
      just fine, but there are two flaws in this approach:

      1)I have to touch every weapon, which makes it hard to implement with
      new weapons introduced in other datasets.
      2)This won't work with weapons where the damage die has changed (most
      commonly, Small characters that use resized weapons).

      I can hack around these by using equipmods that add the damage die to
      the TYPE (so a use with a modified weapon can just add the appropriate
      equipmod), but having a way to reference the actual modified damage
      directly would be cleaner and require less manual work on the part of
      the user.