Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: PCGen error..

  • Lachlan MacLean
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
      See my responses After each section..

      Note: The error only showed up after adding the 3rd domain..
      I had created the character and saved it to that point and all was fine..
      Just when I added the 3rd domain did it freak out..

      At 09:45 AM 2/6/2008, you wrote:

      >--- In
      ><mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com,
      >Lachlan MacLean
      ><lachlanmaclean@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > PCGen 5.12.1
      > >
      > > I created a domain along with two spells for that domain. I
      >created
      > > a prestige class that grants the character a 3rd free domain..
      > >
      > > When I add the 3rd domain to my character, pcgen gives me one long
      > > massive error message in the console and will not let me save the
      >character.
      > >
      > > I have uploaded everything that should be relevant (let me know if
      > > more is needed) to the pcgenhelplist files "completekrondorl.zip".
      > >
      > > Can someone please let me know if adding a 3rd domain is actually
      > > allowed in pcgen or is that a bug. OR did I do something wrong
      >with
      > > my lst files..
      >
      >A couple of notes
      >in spells:
      >Probably shouldn't have CUSTOM in the TYPE
      >and have Divine as that is the standard (not all CAPs).
      >As the KEY and name are the same no real need for the KEY.

      This was an internal pcgen editor that created it.

      >in classes:
      >odd BAB on the first one (CL-1)?
      >Also, personally I would put a return/line feed between class
      >designations. Pcgen can be, um, snitty, about formatting sometimes
      >and with # commenting out each line between, you technically have no
      >break between classes.

      The three classes work perfectly fine.. just had them in there for
      reference.. and yes that is supposed to CL-1 because the BAB starts
      at 0 and goes up by 1 for each level in that class.
      I am only really concered with entry #3.. That's the prestige class
      my character is.

      >in domains:
      >KEY and name same, prob don't need KEY.
      >No TYPE in domains ATM (current freq though), prob erroring out your
      >domain. Come to think of it not sure KEY active in domain files. Hm,
      >seems to have been made by the internal domain lst editor. Some of
      >those...need work. Not sure about domain editor personally.

      yes that was the internal editor also, I have removed and put it into
      my custom files without the KEY and TYPE.

      >The error that you are receiving is an Ability error not a domain
      >error. Could be some other problem that is just showing up here. Are
      >you using any newer 5.12/13 lst files?

      I am using the files that came with 5.12.1 I did install 5.13.8, but
      haven't had a chance to test it there..

      >BTW, Domains have had problems in the past. BONUS:DOMAINS didn't
      >work, could never have more than two, only with clerics, etc. Some of
      >those were resolved, in 5.8 I think. Don't know much about 5.10
      >personally, skipped from 5.9 to 5.13.
      >
      >One thing you can try is too turn on debug on the main menu then load
      >just these lst files. Any specific errors with them should be pointed
      >out.

      Ok will try that.... I have uploaded a new zip file that has a
      modification to the Error Message.txt file with debug on and trying
      to add the new domain.

      My Character has the Fire and War domains, if I add Evil as the 3rd
      domain, it works fine.. (thought I would try that...) So it has
      something to do with the Domination Domain..
      It grants a feat of Spell Focus but what I noticed when I used the
      editor, it didn't ask me for a type of focus. In this case it's
      supposed to be enchantment.
      Should the entry be Spell Focus (enchantment)? I tried it with that
      but still got the failure so I now know that's not the problem..

      Lachlan

    • Tom Parker
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Lachlan MacLean
        <lachlanmaclean@...> wrote:
        > When I add the 3rd domain to my character, pcgen gives me one long
        > massive error message in the console and will not let me save the
        character.

        It is related to using FEAT: in a Domain, James fixed it in svn 4633
        (Dec 1, 2007), which is only in the 5.13 line.

        Having said that, you need to have the chooser pop up, so you should
        probably be using ADD:FEAT instead of FEAT: ... which means you
        shouldn't encounter the problem, even in 5.12.

        Or if you are looking specifically for Enchantment, you can use:
        FEATAUTO:Spell Focus (Enchantment)

        TP.
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
          > The three classes work perfectly fine.. just had them in there for
          > reference.. and yes that is supposed to CL-1 because the BAB
          starts
          > at 0 and goes up by 1 for each level in that class.

          That's odd. [shrug]

          > Ok will try that.... I have uploaded a new zip file that has a
          > modification to the Error Message.txt file with debug on and trying
          > to add the new domain.
          >
          > My Character has the Fire and War domains, if I add Evil as the 3rd
          > domain, it works fine.. (thought I would try that...) So it has
          > something to do with the Domination Domain..
          > It grants a feat of Spell Focus but what I noticed when I used the
          > editor, it didn't ask me for a type of focus. In this case it's
          > supposed to be enchantment.
          > Should the entry be Spell Focus (enchantment)? I tried it with
          that
          > but still got the failure so I now know that's not the problem..

          Hm, I do know that in the past there where issues in domains with sub-
          select feats - spell focus, skill focus and the like. You're actually
          supposed to be asked what school for the spell focus when you take
          the domain. Note that War domain uses a CHOOSE not FEAT:Weapon Focus.
          I remember it because I was one of those having the problem.

          Hm, I haven't tried using one of those lately (don't run many
          clerics). I know it was fixed but I wonder if the error crept back
          in. You could try ADD:FEAT or ADD:VFEAT rather than FEAT. Or put in
          Spell Focus(Enchantment). I believe you have to not have a space
          between the 's' and the '('. Something to do with the chooser
          mechanism. Try it both ways.

          Just as a "have you tried x" can you try adding Domination as the
          second domain. Remove Fire and add Domination (I say Fire as it
          doesn't have a selection like War). Or create a new 1st level test
          cleric. If it bombs on that then the domain is definately the issue.
          If not it could be the 'three' domains.

          I will say this. That domain layout that came out of the internal
          editor is odd looking. Compare it to the writeups in rsrd_domains.lst
          and you'll see what I mean. The multiple SPELLLEVEL tags might cause
          problems.
        • Lachlan MacLean
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
            Hi Tom,

            That's what fixed it... Thanks.. The pcgen lst editor was what put
            the FEAT thing in there... it works perfectly now..

            Thanks Tom and also taluroniscandar for your help.. All is good in
            the world now.. I just have one things left to complete my character
            for tomorrow night..

            Lachlan