Modifying Skills and Abilityies

  • Lachlan MacLean
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi all

      I have been trying to find what I want to do in the .lst files and in
      the help pages but I must be missing it.

      I want to give my character an ability modifier without giving the
      extra stuff associated with it and a skill modifier based on that
      same modifier.
      (let me elaborate: the template I want will give an ability bonus of
      +1 for checks and skills based on that ability but does not actually
      change the ability stat itself.)

      IE he has a STR bonus of +1 to skill rolls and ability rolls but
      damage is not affected by the +1

      Lachlan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
        BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.Strength|1

        Lachlan MacLean wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > I have been trying to find what I want to do in the .lst files and in
        > the help pages but I must be missing it.
        >
        > I want to give my character an ability modifier without giving the
        > extra stuff associated with it and a skill modifier based on that
        > same modifier.
        > (let me elaborate: the template I want will give an ability bonus of
        > +1 for checks and skills based on that ability but does not actually
        > change the ability stat itself.)
        >

        > IE he has a STR bonus of +1 to skill rolls and ability rolls but
        > damage is not affected by the +1
        >
        > Lachlan

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      • Lachlan MacLean
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008

          Thank you Andrew for the skill adjustment part..

          The only other thing I am not sure of is, is it possible to change
          the ability modifier by 1 (or -1) without changing the actual stat.

          Explanation. A feat grants one a +1 bonus on Strength rolls but does
          not change anything else about that strength like dmg and other
          things, it only affects the roll when requested.

          At 09:33 PM 2/3/2008, you wrote:

          >BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.Strength|1
          >
          >Lachlan MacLean wrote:
          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > I have been trying to find what I want to do in the .lst files and in
          > > the help pages but I must be missing it.
          > >
          > > I want to give my character an ability modifier without giving the
          > > extra stuff associated with it and a skill modifier based on that
          > > same modifier.
          > > (let me elaborate: the template I want will give an ability bonus of
          > > +1 for checks and skills based on that ability but does not actually
          > > change the ability stat itself.)
          > >

          > > IE he has a STR bonus of +1 to skill rolls and ability rolls but
          > > damage is not affected by the +1
          > >
          > > Lachlan
          > >

          >--
          >~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          >~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
          >~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
          >"Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
            Are other rolls are there based on strength besides skills listed on the
            character sheet?

            > Hi,
            >
            > Thank you Andrew for the skill adjustment part..
            >
            > The only other thing I am not sure of is, is it possible to
            > change the ability modifier by 1 (or -1) without changing the
            > actual stat.
            >
            > Explanation. A feat grants one a +1 bonus on Strength rolls
            > but does not change anything else about that strength like
            > dmg and other things, it only affects the roll when requested.
            >
            > At 09:33 PM 2/3/2008, you wrote:
            >
            > >BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.Strength|1
            > >
            > >Lachlan MacLean wrote:
            > > > Hi all
            > > >
            > > > I have been trying to find what I want to do in the .lst
            > files and
            > > > in the help pages but I must be missing it.
            > > >
            > > > I want to give my character an ability modifier without
            > giving the
            > > > extra stuff associated with it and a skill modifier based on that
            > > > same modifier.
            > > > (let me elaborate: the template I want will give an
            > ability bonus of
            > > > +1 for checks and skills based on that ability but does
            > not actually
            > > > change the ability stat itself.)
            > > >

            > > > IE he has a STR bonus of +1 to skill rolls and ability rolls but
            > > > damage is not affected by the +1
            > > >
            > > > Lachlan
            > > >

            > >--
            > >~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > >~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker
            > >Gibbon, Docs Lemur "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
          • Lachlan MacLean
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
              Yup, Like aiding someone opening a sarcophagus, it's a d20 + str modifier...
              This feat would give me one better then my normal stat bonus would.

              Lachlan

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
                Lachlan MacLean wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > Thank you Andrew for the skill adjustment part..
                >
                > The only other thing I am not sure of is, is it possible to change
                > the ability modifier by 1 (or -1) without changing the actual stat.

                Yes, though it's not a good idea. Really makes getting the correct
                numbers hard.
                > Explanation. A feat grants one a +1 bonus on Strength rolls but does
                > not change anything else about that strength like dmg and other
                > things, it only affects the roll when requested.

                The character sheet reflects mainly static bonuses. Rolls aren't
                something reflected on the character sheet. That would go in the
                description of the feat.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Lachlan MacLean wrote:
                  > Yup, Like aiding someone opening a sarcophagus, it's a d20 + str modifier...
                  > This feat would give me one better then my normal stat bonus would.

                  Then there isn't anything we can actually do for ya... That's a NON Stat
                  thing. If something actually changes the stat or modifies something
                  based on a stat, then we can do that. The only thing for weird feat
                  effects is to either put it in the description or note it in the notes
                  section of the character sheet.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
                    Ya I kinda had that feeling.. Thanks for the info.