d20 EquipMod - how to add secondary weapon...

  • Joe Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 24, 2008
      Hello:
      I'm trying to add to a d20 game an Equipment Mod, but I'm having a
      bit of trouble figuring out. What I want to do is create a chainsaw
      attachment for rifles (much like the chainsaw rifle from Gears of
      War), but I want to be able to add it to any rifle.

      My problem is figuring out how to modify the alternate weapon using
      an equipmod LST file. I was thinking along the lines of creating the
      weapon with a TYPE:Double, but I'm not sure how to modify the
      attributes for the Double at that point. This is what I've got so far:

      Chainsaw Attachment
      KEY:ATTACH_CHAINSAW
      NAMEOPT:TEXT=w/Chainsaw
      TYPE:Ammunition.Weapon
      COST:1
      VISIBLE:QUALIFY
      ITYPE:Melee.Slashing.Double
      PRETYPE:1,Longarm
      BONUS:EQM|WEIGHTADD|5

      From here, where should I go? Is it something where I can start using
      ALTDAMAGE and such, or is there another method for doing this? Thanks
      for any help!
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 24, 2008
        Joe Smith wrote:
        > Hello:
        > I'm trying to add to a d20 game an Equipment Mod, but I'm having a
        > bit of trouble figuring out. What I want to do is create a chainsaw
        > attachment for rifles (much like the chainsaw rifle from Gears of
        > War), but I want to be able to add it to any rifle.
        >
        > My problem is figuring out how to modify the alternate weapon using
        > an equipmod LST file. I was thinking along the lines of creating the
        > weapon with a TYPE:Double, but I'm not sure how to modify the
        > attributes for the Double at that point. This is what I've got so far:
        >
        > Chainsaw Attachment
        > KEY:ATTACH_CHAINSAW
        > NAMEOPT:TEXT=w/Chainsaw
        > TYPE:Ammunition.Weapon
        > COST:1
        > VISIBLE:QUALIFY
        > ITYPE:Melee.Slashing.Double
        > PRETYPE:1,Longarm
        > BONUS:EQM|WEIGHTADD|5
        >
        > >From here, where should I go? Is it something where I can start using
        > ALTDAMAGE and such, or is there another method for doing this? Thanks
        > for any help!

        ALTDAMAGE, ALTCRITICAL, ALTMULT and (Off the top of my head) ALTTYPE
        would be a good idea... However, I've never done something like that
        myself, so no guarantees it will work.

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2008
          ng to add to a d20 game an Equipment Mod, but I'm having a
          > > bit of trouble figuring out. What I want to do is create a chainsaw
          > > attachment for rifles (much like the chainsaw rifle from Gears of
          > > War), but I want to be able to add it to any rifle.
          > >
          > > My problem is figuring out how to modify the alternate weapon using
          > > an equipmod LST file. I was thinking along the lines of creating the
          > > weapon with a TYPE:Double, but I'm not sure how to modify the
          > > attributes for the Double at that point. This is what I've got so far:

          I'm not sure this is possible with eqmod's.

          You could create an eqmod that AUTO:EQUIPs a chainsaw.
          If AUTO:EQUIP works in eqmods. (Hm, the Bladegun eqmod has AUTO:EQUIP
          so it probably does work).

          You might consider just making the chainsaw a standard item.
        • Joe Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2008
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar"
            <mhgj@...> wrote:

            > ng to add to a d20 game an Equipment Mod, but I'm having a
            > > > bit of trouble figuring out. What I want to do is create a
            chainsaw
            > > > attachment for rifles (much like the chainsaw rifle from Gears
            of
            > > > War), but I want to be able to add it to any rifle.
            > > >
            > > > My problem is figuring out how to modify the alternate weapon
            using
            > > > an equipmod LST file. I was thinking along the lines of
            creating the
            > > > weapon with a TYPE:Double, but I'm not sure how to modify the
            > > > attributes for the Double at that point. This is what I've got
            so far:

            > I'm not sure this is possible with eqmod's.

            I'm still trying to get around to trying it out. I'm working through
            an eror I'm having with a Masterwork key in an equipment LST. Every
            time it loads, I get a java Null Pointer Exception for the masterwork
            EQM. Not exactly sure why, I'm just referencing the MSRD Basic
            equipmod.lst. I'm loading the LST in the PCC for the module I'm
            working with.

            > You could create an eqmod that AUTO:EQUIPs a chainsaw.
            > If AUTO:EQUIP works in eqmods. (Hm, the Bladegun eqmod has
            AUTO:EQUIP
            > so it probably does work).

            If I do this, though, wouldn't it show up as a completely separate
            weapon?

            > You might consider just making the chainsaw a standard item.

            Do you mean just making it another weapon? I'd rather not; besides,
            isn't there existing precedence in d20 source books to make this work
            in the code? Not that it's been implemented in PCGen (as far as I
            know, otherwise I would have done it already :P), but I thought the
            d20 Past campaign has equipment mods that attach bayonets and pistol
            axes to various firearms. Plus, what if I wanted to make a Grenade
            Launcher attachment for a rifle? It seems like creating a separate
            weapon to do this is a bit klugey.
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2008
              > > You could create an eqmod that AUTO:EQUIPs a chainsaw.
              > > If AUTO:EQUIP works in eqmods. (Hm, the Bladegun eqmod has
              > AUTO:EQUIP
              > > so it probably does work).
              >
              > If I do this, though, wouldn't it show up as a completely separate
              > weapon?
              >
              > > You might consider just making the chainsaw a standard item.
              >
              > Do you mean just making it another weapon? I'd rather not; besides,
              > isn't there existing precedence in d20 source books to make this work
              > in the code? Not that it's been implemented in PCGen (as far as I
              > know, otherwise I would have done it already :P), but I thought the
              > d20 Past campaign has equipment mods that attach bayonets and pistol
              > axes to various firearms. Plus, what if I wanted to make a Grenade
              > Launcher attachment for a rifle? It seems like creating a separate
              > weapon to do this is a bit klugey.

              Yes, I mean just making it another weapon.

              I'm not aware of a d20 Past write-up in PCGen. But I don't work with
              modern so it may be there.

              I searched for bayonets in the lst files for 5.13.7 and I found
              several bayonet entries.
              Only one was an eqmod. The rest were equipment.
              And that eqmod (from Sorcery and Steam) only increases the cost of the
              weapon.

              Doing it as two separate weapons seems correct to me, not kludgey.
              They are, in fact, separate weapons held together by a couple of
              screws and some sheet metal. And in most cases can be used
              independently when separated. That's IMO though.
            • Joe Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
                <mhgj@...> wrote:

                > > > You could create an eqmod that AUTO:EQUIPs a chainsaw.
                > > > If AUTO:EQUIP works in eqmods. (Hm, the Bladegun eqmod has
                > > AUTO:EQUIP
                > > > so it probably does work).
                > >
                > > If I do this, though, wouldn't it show up as a completely
                separate
                > > weapon?
                > >
                > > > You might consider just making the chainsaw a standard item.
                > >
                > > Do you mean just making it another weapon? I'd rather not;
                besides,
                > > isn't there existing precedence in d20 source books to make this
                work
                > > in the code? Not that it's been implemented in PCGen (as far as I
                > > know, otherwise I would have done it already :P), but I thought
                the
                > > d20 Past campaign has equipment mods that attach bayonets and
                pistol
                > > axes to various firearms. Plus, what if I wanted to make a
                Grenade
                > > Launcher attachment for a rifle? It seems like creating a
                separate
                > > weapon to do this is a bit klugey.
                > >
                > Yes, I mean just making it another weapon.
                >
                > I'm not aware of a d20 Past write-up in PCGen. But I don't work with
                > modern so it may be there.
                >
                > I searched for bayonets in the lst files for 5.13.7 and I found
                > several bayonet entries.
                > Only one was an eqmod. The rest were equipment.
                > And that eqmod (from Sorcery and Steam) only increases the cost of
                the
                > weapon.
                >
                > Doing it as two separate weapons seems correct to me, not kludgey.
                > They are, in fact, separate weapons held together by a couple of
                > screws and some sheet metal. And in most cases can be used
                > independently when separated. That's IMO though.

                Wasn't referring to d20 Past in PCGen - doesn't exist, not part of
                the MSRD.

                Okay, thanks! I'm going to try it both ways, I'll let you know if the
                eqmod method works.