Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Trouble with REMOVE:FEAT

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
      Phillip Ryan scribed:

      > I am trying to .MOD the paladin class. Paladins receive Simple Weapon
      > proficiency through an AUTO:FEAT. I want to remove the crossbow
      > proficiencies (Light and Heavy.)
      >
      > Since the restriction on crossbows only applies to three or four
      > deities out of about fifteen I thought that REMOVE:FEAT with an
      > appropriate PREDEITY condition would be ideal. Once it is working for
      > paladins I can use the same .MOD on clerics.

      REMOVE is not for use when you are altering data via .MOD. What you want is
      to CLEAR the feat

      Use: "AUTO:FEAT|.CLEAR.Simple Weapon Proficiency" to set the class not to
      load this feat. You will then need to add back all the profs you want the
      class to have that were covered under simple weapons leaving out crossbows.
      There is no way to remove a specific proficiency that belongs to a type once
      the whole type has been granted.

      A simpler method might be to just add a penalty for the crossbow which is
      the same as the non-prof penalty, the crossbow would still show in black as
      proficient but the attack numbers would be as if they were not.
      That would be:

      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Crossbow|TOHIT|-4
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
    • Phillip Ryan
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
        Thanks Eddy, Barak,

        I didn't know I couldn't use REMOVE:FEAT in a .MOD. Is that why I am
        getting the invalid SubToken error?

        I will use the .CLEAR and create a hidden feat similar to the Wizard
        Weapon Proficiencies feat to put back the weapons I want.

        Thanks again.

        Phil

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

        > Phillip Ryan scribed:
        >
        > > I am trying to .MOD the paladin class. Paladins receive Simple Weapon
        > > proficiency through an AUTO:FEAT. I want to remove the crossbow
        > > proficiencies (Light and Heavy.)
        > >
        > > Since the restriction on crossbows only applies to three or four
        > > deities out of about fifteen I thought that REMOVE:FEAT with an
        > > appropriate PREDEITY condition would be ideal. Once it is working for
        > > paladins I can use the same .MOD on clerics.
        >
        > REMOVE is not for use when you are altering data via .MOD. What you
        want is
        > to CLEAR the feat
        >
        > Use: "AUTO:FEAT|.CLEAR.Simple Weapon Proficiency" to set the class
        not to
        > load this feat. You will then need to add back all the profs you
        want the
        > class to have that were covered under simple weapons leaving out
        crossbows.
        > There is no way to remove a specific proficiency that belongs to a
        type once
        > the whole type has been granted.
        >
        > A simpler method might be to just add a penalty for the crossbow
        which is
        > the same as the non-prof penalty, the crossbow would still show in
        black as
        > proficient but the attack numbers would be as if they were not.
        > That would be:
        >
        > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Crossbow|TOHIT|-4
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ Chair Monkey, PCGen Board of Directors
        > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
          > I didn't know I couldn't use REMOVE:FEAT in a .MOD. Is that why I am
          > getting the invalid SubToken error?

          Could be. :p

          Just a general note for future reference: REMOVE if for run-time changes,
          .MOD is for startup changes.

          > I will use the .CLEAR and create a hidden feat similar to the Wizard
          > Weapon Proficiencies feat to put back the weapons I want.

          That should do the trick nicely, although it means you won't have the
          original class/abilities available.

          Barak
        • Dave_3rd
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
            This is a question I've been sitting on for a while... I have bucketfuls
            previously rolled NPCs, many downloaded from the WotC website. I'd like to
            organize them in a nice, neat, /consistent/ format, like (say for example
            oh, I don't know, how about) in PCGen. The thing is, I can't quite figure
            out how to just simply enter in the data for a character without
            "generating" it, from scratch, each and every level. For my purposes, this
            is unnecessary and actually obstructive... Everything's already been done
            for me, and it's exceptionally unlikely I'll need to "rescind" any levels
            for 99.64% of anything I'm likely to throw at my players. My immediate
            concern is in having a database of NPCs, prestige monsters, and other stuff
            that needs stats.

            Is there a way to just enter the data without having to calculate it every
            step/level of the way? Alternatively, is PCGen a good idea for a NPC
            database?

            Dave III
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
              Hi Dave,

              PCGen's main purpose is to generate characters. Taking a pre-existing
              character from another source and storing them sounds like a good thing
              for euruvian.com - Or so I've heard.

              If you don't mind the effort, you could enter the characters in to
              PCGen, you don't have to do each level at a time, but you would need to
              generate it from the beginning.

              Dave_3rd wrote:
              > This is a question I've been sitting on for a while... I have bucketfuls
              > previously rolled NPCs, many downloaded from the WotC website. I'd like to
              > organize them in a nice, neat, /consistent/ format, like (say for example
              > oh, I don't know, how about) in PCGen. The thing is, I can't quite figure
              > out how to just simply enter in the data for a character without
              > "generating" it, from scratch, each and every level. For my purposes, this
              > is unnecessary and actually obstructive... Everything's already been done
              > for me, and it's exceptionally unlikely I'll need to "rescind" any levels
              > for 99.64% of anything I'm likely to throw at my players. My immediate
              > concern is in having a database of NPCs, prestige monsters, and other stuff
              > that needs stats.
              >
              > Is there a way to just enter the data without having to calculate it every
              > step/level of the way? Alternatively, is PCGen a good idea for a NPC
              > database?
              >
              > Dave III

              ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

            • Dave_3rd
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                Yeah, with a name like PCGen, I knew I was basically asking it to do
                something it wasn't specifically designed to do... Interestingly, almost
                every character/NPC related program out there is a generator rather than a
                database. An online database isn't much use to me either, since I'm planning
                on being off-line during my games... the computer's just a way to avoid
                having to juggle papers and notebooks.

                I suppose the best way to get what I want is to figure out a database maker
                program like MS Access, but I really haven't put enough ranks into Arcane
                Knowledge: Programming. I was just hoping PCGen could do the job with a
                minimum of fuss.

                Dave III

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                  Hi Dave,

                  Sorry couldn't really help you out. Not much call for personal character
                  databases... Closest I know of is the online database, though I'm sure
                  you can grab some for off-line use.

                  All of the characters PCGen makes are stored as pcg files. I think there
                  are other programs that read the format, but in order to make a database
                  for other systems would be a rather large undertaking.

                  If you want to have character ready to be printed at the game table in
                  pcgen, you'd need to enter them in. If you want to work on such a
                  project integrating pcgen and various other pc generators, we'd be more
                  than happy to work with you on it.

                  Let me know.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                    Hmm.. Seems odd to think there's not much call for this kind of thing. is
                    this one of those "thinking too much" beginner's mistakes, like trying to
                    plot out an entire campaign world before playing the first few dungeon
                    crawls?

                    Entering them NPC's info doesn't scare me (ok, that's a lie. let's just say
                    I'm willing to do it anyway), it's just that PCGen, since it (appears to be)
                    set up to start at level one, no matter what, is therefore not happy to
                    handle me saying 'Ok, X is a level 20 something/something, with these skills
                    and those spells' without demanding things like when, precisely, X started
                    multi-classing, how many ranks he took along the way, and when such-and-so
                    qualifiers started kicking in. Fair enough, it's a Character Generator, it's
                    assumed that things will begin at the beginning. I'm the one making weird
                    demands, I realize that.

                    *Grunt* Ah, well. back to the search engines..

                    Dave III

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                      No, you can make a xth level character or NPC. In fact, we have an NPC
                      button. Push it, choose the class(es) and Level(s). I'd suggest making
                      the stat changes. You have options... I'm just saying importing another
                      format or using pcgen as a database, isn't in the near future. But
                      making a NPC based upon an existing paper one isn't hard to do either.

                      and even creating a regular pc/npc isn't much work, no you aren't forced
                      to go by each level... I routinely make 10th, 12th or 15th level
                      characters. I just set the stats, indicate which stat boost happens
                      every 4th level, (and bonus feats if using 5.12.1).

                      After that, spells, equipment and such is fairly easy.

                      --
                      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                    • Tom Parker
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Ryan" <pryan7@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Help,
                        >
                        > I am receiving the following error as PCGen is loading:
                        > SEVERE: Error parsing REMOVE, invalid SubToken: FEAT
                        > Jan 12, 2008 3:01:10 PM pcgen.util.Logging deprecationPrint
                        >
                        > Here is the offending tag from my classes.lst
                        > REMOVE:FEAT|Simple Weapon Proficiency(Crossbow Light)|

                        This is a bug in our pluginbuild.xml file, as the FEAT subtoken of
                        REMOVE is not being packaged into our release. Thanks for reporting
                        this issue.

                        TP.
                      • Phillip Ryan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Ryan" <pryan7@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Help,
                          > >
                          > > I am receiving the following error as PCGen is loading:
                          > > SEVERE: Error parsing REMOVE, invalid SubToken: FEAT
                          > > Jan 12, 2008 3:01:10 PM pcgen.util.Logging deprecationPrint
                          > >
                          > > Here is the offending tag from my classes.lst
                          > > REMOVE:FEAT|Simple Weapon Proficiency(Crossbow Light)|
                          >
                          > This is a bug in our pluginbuild.xml file, as the FEAT subtoken of
                          > REMOVE is not being packaged into our release. Thanks for reporting
                          > this issue.
                          >
                          > TP.

                          While I am sorry that there is a bug in the code, I feel better that
                          the problem was not just my lack of coding skills.

                          Phil
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                            Tom,

                            I found that the REMOVE feat wasn't applying to AUTO:FEAT, but worked
                            fine with ADD:FEAT. This was brought up when Tim Ragnow was trying to
                            implement the variant wizard classes in the Arcana Unearthed Source Book.

                            If it will remove AUTO granted feats, than great... one less problem to
                            try and work around.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                              <drew0500@...> wrote:
                              > Tom,
                              >
                              > I found that the REMOVE feat wasn't applying to AUTO:FEAT, but worked
                              > fine with ADD:FEAT. This was brought up when Tim Ragnow was trying to
                              > implement the variant wizard classes in the Arcana Unearthed Source
                              Book.

                              > If it will remove AUTO granted feats, than great... one less problem to
                              > try and work around.

                              REMOVE is designed to take out FEATs with a nature of NORMAL, thus no
                              VFEAT, or AUTO:FEAT. I don't think this behavior should be changed,
                              because it may alter existing data.

                              I'm happy to have this brought to _experimental and discussed as to
                              what we can do in the future, but we need the discussion there to
                              address the transition.

                              TP.
                            • Susan Dittmar
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 18, 2008
                                Quoting Dave_3rd (dave_3rd@...):
                                > Hmm.. Seems odd to think there's not much call for this kind of thing.

                                I think it's not so much no one asking than everyone asking it differently.

                                What I did for my NPC database is save the pcg files (and the generated pdfs) in
                                a hierarchy of directories. I sort them by challenge rating.

                                Then I started a plain text file with a table detailing challenge rating, name,
                                race, class levels, and some remarks. I can sort this text file according to
                                whichever fields interests me most at the moment, and then find the sheet I
                                need by its challenge rating and name. For someone more used to the office
                                suite(s) and less used to unix' command line tools, you could use a spreadsheet
                                instead of the plain text file.

                                When preparing adventures, I sometimes move or copy the files needed to a
                                special directory or directory structure, making it easier to find the sheet I
                                need for this special session.

                                I thought a lot about how to structure my collection of character sheet, and
                                did not yet come up with any better way of sorting them :-(

                                Susan