RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Trouble with REMOVE:FEAT

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
      I wasn't paying close enough attention the first time around...

      > I am trying to .MOD the paladin class. Paladins receive Simple Weapon
      > proficiency through an AUTO:FEAT. I want to remove the crossbow
      > proficiencies (Light and Heavy.)

      Even if you weren't getting that error message, this wouldn't work.

      Simple Weapon Proficiency does not have a CHOOSE in it, so it doesn't have
      any targets (the part in parens after the feat name). As far as the program
      is concerned there is no such thing as Simple Weapon Proficiency(Blah).

      You could remove the entire SWP feat with "REMOVE:FEAT|Simple Weapon
      Proficiency" and then grant back the profs you want them to have via an
      AUTO:WEAPONPROF tag. That's about the only way I can think of to accomplish
      what you want.

      Barak
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
        Phillip Ryan scribed:

        > I am trying to .MOD the paladin class. Paladins receive Simple Weapon
        > proficiency through an AUTO:FEAT. I want to remove the crossbow
        > proficiencies (Light and Heavy.)
        >
        > Since the restriction on crossbows only applies to three or four
        > deities out of about fifteen I thought that REMOVE:FEAT with an
        > appropriate PREDEITY condition would be ideal. Once it is working for
        > paladins I can use the same .MOD on clerics.

        REMOVE is not for use when you are altering data via .MOD. What you want is
        to CLEAR the feat

        Use: "AUTO:FEAT|.CLEAR.Simple Weapon Proficiency" to set the class not to
        load this feat. You will then need to add back all the profs you want the
        class to have that were covered under simple weapons leaving out crossbows.
        There is no way to remove a specific proficiency that belongs to a type once
        the whole type has been granted.

        A simpler method might be to just add a penalty for the crossbow which is
        the same as the non-prof penalty, the crossbow would still show in black as
        proficient but the attack numbers would be as if they were not.
        That would be:

        BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Crossbow|TOHIT|-4
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Phillip Ryan
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
          Thanks Eddy, Barak,

          I didn't know I couldn't use REMOVE:FEAT in a .MOD. Is that why I am
          getting the invalid SubToken error?

          I will use the .CLEAR and create a hidden feat similar to the Wizard
          Weapon Proficiencies feat to put back the weapons I want.

          Thanks again.

          Phil

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

          > Phillip Ryan scribed:
          >
          > > I am trying to .MOD the paladin class. Paladins receive Simple Weapon
          > > proficiency through an AUTO:FEAT. I want to remove the crossbow
          > > proficiencies (Light and Heavy.)
          > >
          > > Since the restriction on crossbows only applies to three or four
          > > deities out of about fifteen I thought that REMOVE:FEAT with an
          > > appropriate PREDEITY condition would be ideal. Once it is working for
          > > paladins I can use the same .MOD on clerics.
          >
          > REMOVE is not for use when you are altering data via .MOD. What you
          want is
          > to CLEAR the feat
          >
          > Use: "AUTO:FEAT|.CLEAR.Simple Weapon Proficiency" to set the class
          not to
          > load this feat. You will then need to add back all the profs you
          want the
          > class to have that were covered under simple weapons leaving out
          crossbows.
          > There is no way to remove a specific proficiency that belongs to a
          type once
          > the whole type has been granted.
          >
          > A simpler method might be to just add a penalty for the crossbow
          which is
          > the same as the non-prof penalty, the crossbow would still show in
          black as
          > proficient but the attack numbers would be as if they were not.
          > That would be:
          >
          > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Crossbow|TOHIT|-4
          > --
          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > ~ Chair Monkey, PCGen Board of Directors
          > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008

            Could be. :p

            Just a general note for future reference: REMOVE if for run-time changes,
            .MOD is for startup changes.

            > I will use the .CLEAR and create a hidden feat similar to the Wizard
            > Weapon Proficiencies feat to put back the weapons I want.

            That should do the trick nicely, although it means you won't have the
            original class/abilities available.

            Barak
          • Dave_3rd
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
              This is a question I've been sitting on for a while... I have bucketfuls
              previously rolled NPCs, many downloaded from the WotC website. I'd like to
              organize them in a nice, neat, /consistent/ format, like (say for example
              oh, I don't know, how about) in PCGen. The thing is, I can't quite figure
              out how to just simply enter in the data for a character without
              "generating" it, from scratch, each and every level. For my purposes, this
              is unnecessary and actually obstructive... Everything's already been done
              for me, and it's exceptionally unlikely I'll need to "rescind" any levels
              for 99.64% of anything I'm likely to throw at my players. My immediate
              concern is in having a database of NPCs, prestige monsters, and other stuff
              that needs stats.

              Is there a way to just enter the data without having to calculate it every
              step/level of the way? Alternatively, is PCGen a good idea for a NPC
              database?

              Dave III
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                Hi Dave,

                PCGen's main purpose is to generate characters. Taking a pre-existing
                character from another source and storing them sounds like a good thing
                for euruvian.com - Or so I've heard.

                If you don't mind the effort, you could enter the characters in to
                PCGen, you don't have to do each level at a time, but you would need to
                generate it from the beginning.

                Dave_3rd wrote:
                > This is a question I've been sitting on for a while... I have bucketfuls
                > previously rolled NPCs, many downloaded from the WotC website. I'd like to
                > organize them in a nice, neat, /consistent/ format, like (say for example
                > oh, I don't know, how about) in PCGen. The thing is, I can't quite figure
                > out how to just simply enter in the data for a character without
                > "generating" it, from scratch, each and every level. For my purposes, this
                > is unnecessary and actually obstructive... Everything's already been done
                > for me, and it's exceptionally unlikely I'll need to "rescind" any levels
                > for 99.64% of anything I'm likely to throw at my players. My immediate
                > concern is in having a database of NPCs, prestige monsters, and other stuff
                > that needs stats.
                >
                > Is there a way to just enter the data without having to calculate it every
                > step/level of the way? Alternatively, is PCGen a good idea for a NPC
                > database?
                >
                > Dave III

                ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

              • Dave_3rd
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                  Yeah, with a name like PCGen, I knew I was basically asking it to do
                  something it wasn't specifically designed to do... Interestingly, almost
                  every character/NPC related program out there is a generator rather than a
                  database. An online database isn't much use to me either, since I'm planning
                  on being off-line during my games... the computer's just a way to avoid
                  having to juggle papers and notebooks.

                  I suppose the best way to get what I want is to figure out a database maker
                  program like MS Access, but I really haven't put enough ranks into Arcane
                  Knowledge: Programming. I was just hoping PCGen could do the job with a
                  minimum of fuss.

                  Dave III

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                    Hi Dave,

                    Sorry couldn't really help you out. Not much call for personal character
                    databases... Closest I know of is the online database, though I'm sure
                    you can grab some for off-line use.

                    All of the characters PCGen makes are stored as pcg files. I think there
                    are other programs that read the format, but in order to make a database
                    for other systems would be a rather large undertaking.

                    If you want to have character ready to be printed at the game table in
                    pcgen, you'd need to enter them in. If you want to work on such a
                    project integrating pcgen and various other pc generators, we'd be more
                    than happy to work with you on it.

                    Let me know.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                      Hmm.. Seems odd to think there's not much call for this kind of thing. is
                      this one of those "thinking too much" beginner's mistakes, like trying to
                      plot out an entire campaign world before playing the first few dungeon
                      crawls?

                      Entering them NPC's info doesn't scare me (ok, that's a lie. let's just say
                      I'm willing to do it anyway), it's just that PCGen, since it (appears to be)
                      set up to start at level one, no matter what, is therefore not happy to
                      handle me saying 'Ok, X is a level 20 something/something, with these skills
                      and those spells' without demanding things like when, precisely, X started
                      multi-classing, how many ranks he took along the way, and when such-and-so
                      qualifiers started kicking in. Fair enough, it's a Character Generator, it's
                      assumed that things will begin at the beginning. I'm the one making weird
                      demands, I realize that.

                      *Grunt* Ah, well. back to the search engines..

                      Dave III

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                        No, you can make a xth level character or NPC. In fact, we have an NPC
                        button. Push it, choose the class(es) and Level(s). I'd suggest making
                        the stat changes. You have options... I'm just saying importing another
                        format or using pcgen as a database, isn't in the near future. But
                        making a NPC based upon an existing paper one isn't hard to do either.

                        and even creating a regular pc/npc isn't much work, no you aren't forced
                        to go by each level... I routinely make 10th, 12th or 15th level
                        characters. I just set the stats, indicate which stat boost happens
                        every 4th level, (and bonus feats if using 5.12.1).

                        After that, spells, equipment and such is fairly easy.

                        --
                        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                      • Tom Parker
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Ryan" <pryan7@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Help,
                          >
                          > I am receiving the following error as PCGen is loading:
                          > SEVERE: Error parsing REMOVE, invalid SubToken: FEAT
                          > Jan 12, 2008 3:01:10 PM pcgen.util.Logging deprecationPrint
                          >
                          > Here is the offending tag from my classes.lst
                          > REMOVE:FEAT|Simple Weapon Proficiency(Crossbow Light)|

                          This is a bug in our pluginbuild.xml file, as the FEAT subtoken of
                          REMOVE is not being packaged into our release. Thanks for reporting
                          this issue.

                          TP.
                        • Phillip Ryan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Ryan" <pryan7@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Help,
                            > >
                            > > I am receiving the following error as PCGen is loading:
                            > > SEVERE: Error parsing REMOVE, invalid SubToken: FEAT
                            > > Jan 12, 2008 3:01:10 PM pcgen.util.Logging deprecationPrint
                            > >
                            > > Here is the offending tag from my classes.lst
                            > > REMOVE:FEAT|Simple Weapon Proficiency(Crossbow Light)|
                            >
                            > This is a bug in our pluginbuild.xml file, as the FEAT subtoken of
                            > REMOVE is not being packaged into our release. Thanks for reporting
                            > this issue.
                            >
                            > TP.

                            While I am sorry that there is a bug in the code, I feel better that
                            the problem was not just my lack of coding skills.

                            Phil
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                              Tom,

                              I found that the REMOVE feat wasn't applying to AUTO:FEAT, but worked
                              fine with ADD:FEAT. This was brought up when Tim Ragnow was trying to
                              implement the variant wizard classes in the Arcana Unearthed Source Book.

                              If it will remove AUTO granted feats, than great... one less problem to
                              try and work around.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                                <drew0500@...> wrote:
                                > Tom,
                                >
                                > I found that the REMOVE feat wasn't applying to AUTO:FEAT, but worked
                                > fine with ADD:FEAT. This was brought up when Tim Ragnow was trying to
                                > implement the variant wizard classes in the Arcana Unearthed Source
                                Book.

                                > If it will remove AUTO granted feats, than great... one less problem to
                                > try and work around.

                                REMOVE is designed to take out FEATs with a nature of NORMAL, thus no
                                VFEAT, or AUTO:FEAT. I don't think this behavior should be changed,
                                because it may alter existing data.

                                I'm happy to have this brought to _experimental and discussed as to
                                what we can do in the future, but we need the discussion there to
                                address the transition.

                                TP.
                              • Susan Dittmar
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 18, 2008
                                  Quoting Dave_3rd (dave_3rd@...):
                                  > Hmm.. Seems odd to think there's not much call for this kind of thing.

                                  I think it's not so much no one asking than everyone asking it differently.

                                  What I did for my NPC database is save the pcg files (and the generated pdfs) in
                                  a hierarchy of directories. I sort them by challenge rating.

                                  Then I started a plain text file with a table detailing challenge rating, name,
                                  race, class levels, and some remarks. I can sort this text file according to
                                  whichever fields interests me most at the moment, and then find the sheet I
                                  need by its challenge rating and name. For someone more used to the office
                                  suite(s) and less used to unix' command line tools, you could use a spreadsheet
                                  instead of the plain text file.

                                  When preparing adventures, I sometimes move or copy the files needed to a
                                  special directory or directory structure, making it easier to find the sheet I
                                  need for this special session.

                                  I thought a lot about how to structure my collection of character sheet, and
                                  did not yet come up with any better way of sorting them :-(

                                  Susan