<> How To Choose Between an Armor Type (Heavy, Light or Medium)

  • musicguerilla
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2008
      ok i'm working on a feat here, but i don't seem to have the <CHOOSE>
      command properly used. How do i have the program implement a Choose
      feature that allows you to pick one of the base armor types as listed
      in the Subject line? it stacks, BUT, you can only choose another
      armor type.

      Then, i'm trying to figure out how to have the program look to see if
      you're wearing the proper armor type before it grants the spiffy foo
      bonus. (NOTE: <ARMORTYPE:x|y> changes the armor type from one type to
      another [i.e. changes Light armor into Medium armor], so that's not
      applicable here.)

      i don't have it set up quite properly. The Chooser box lines has
      some choices to pick from, but the lines are _totally_ blank. It'll
      let you add 'em but you won't know what you're getting lol

      Here's the new line:

      <CHOOSE:1|TYPE.Heavy|TYPE.Light|TYPE.Medium>

      also, just out of curiousity, here's my prereq line too:

      <PREARMORPROF:1,TYPE.Heavy,TYPE.Light,TYPE.Medium>

      is that correct?

      Any suggestions?

      And, as always, great job gang!

      Bri

      "Did my area effect spell wipe out your army?" "No, but the DM is
      really annoyed he has to subtract 6 HP off 200 guys!"
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008

        I'll take a look at this in a few hours and comment later - IF nobody
        has answered you already.

        musicguerilla wrote:
        > ok i'm working on a feat here, but i don't seem to have the <CHOOSE>
        > command properly used. How do i have the program implement a Choose
        > feature that allows you to pick one of the base armor types as listed
        > in the Subject line? it stacks, BUT, you can only choose another
        > armor type.
        >
        > Then, i'm trying to figure out how to have the program look to see if
        > you're wearing the proper armor type before it grants the spiffy foo
        > bonus. (NOTE: <ARMORTYPE:x|y> changes the armor type from one type to
        > another [i.e. changes Light armor into Medium armor], so that's not
        > applicable here.)
        >
        > i don't have it set up quite properly. The Chooser box lines has
        > some choices to pick from, but the lines are _totally_ blank. It'll
        > let you add 'em but you won't know what you're getting lol
        >
        > Here's the new line:
        >
        > <CHOOSE:1|TYPE.Heavy|TYPE.Light|TYPE.Medium>
        >
        > also, just out of curiousity, here's my prereq line too:
        >
        > <PREARMORPROF:1,TYPE.Heavy,TYPE.Light,TYPE.Medium>
        >
        > is that correct?
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > And, as always, great job gang!
        >
        > Bri
        >
        > "Did my area effect spell wipe out your army?" "No, but the DM is
        > really annoyed he has to subtract 6 HP off 200 guys!"

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      • Tom Parker
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "musicguerilla"
          <musicguerilla@...> wrote:

          > How do i have the program implement a Choose
          > feature that allows you to pick one of the base armor types as listed
          > in the Subject line? it stacks, BUT, you can only choose another
          > armor type.
          >
          > Then, i'm trying to figure out how to have the program look to see if
          > you're wearing the proper armor type before it grants the spiffy foo
          > bonus. (NOTE: <ARMORTYPE:x|y> changes the armor type from one type to
          > another [i.e. changes Light armor into Medium armor], so that's not
          > applicable here.)

          Does "proper" here refer to the one selected in the FEAT? Or is this
          an independent question?

          It will matter where you are putting the Armor TYPE you are selecting,
          so you need to let us know that as well.

          > i don't have it set up quite properly. The Chooser box lines has
          > some choices to pick from, but the lines are _totally_ blank. It'll
          > let you add 'em but you won't know what you're getting lol
          >
          > Here's the new line:
          >
          > <CHOOSE:1|TYPE.Heavy|TYPE.Light|TYPE.Medium>

          CHOOSE doesn't start with a number. Well, it might not. What version
          of PCGen are you using??
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008
            Ok, reread your questions.

            musicguerilla wrote:
            > ok i'm working on a feat here, but i don't seem to have the <CHOOSE>
            > command properly used. How do i have the program implement a Choose
            > feature that allows you to pick one of the base armor types as listed
            > in the Subject line? it stacks, BUT, you can only choose another
            > armor type.

            |CHOOSE:ARMORPROF|2|TYPE=Heavy|

            Allow the choice of up to two heavy armors.

            |CHOOSE:ARMORPROF|1|Scale Mail|Chainmail|

            Allow the choice of one of Scale Mail or Chainmail.

            *Tag Name:* CHOOSE:ARMORTYPE

            *What it does:*

            This will produce a list of all armor types that the character is
            proficient with. This list is built from the choices for the Armor
            Proficiency feat.

            *Example:*

            |CHOOSE:ARMORTYPE|

            This will produce a list of all the armor types with which the character
            is proficient. If the character in question was a Fighter the list
            produced would be Light, Medium, and Heavy.

            > Then, i'm trying to figure out how to have the program look to see if
            > you're wearing the proper armor type before it grants the spiffy foo
            > bonus. (NOTE: <ARMORTYPE:x|y> changes the armor type from one type to
            > another [i.e. changes Light armor into Medium armor], so that's not
            > applicable here.)
            >
            > i don't have it set up quite properly. The Chooser box lines has
            > some choices to pick from, but the lines are _totally_ blank. It'll
            > let you add 'em but you won't know what you're getting lol
            >
            > Here's the new line:
            >
            > <CHOOSE:1|TYPE.Heavy|TYPE.Light|TYPE.Medium>
            >
            > also, just out of curiousity, here's my prereq line too:
            >
            > <PREARMORPROF:1,TYPE.Heavy,TYPE.Light,TYPE.Medium>

            That just looks to see if you have the proficiency, kinda redundant
            since you can accomplish the same thing using PREFEAT:1,Armor
            Proficiency (Light),Armor Proficiency (Medium),etc... OR
            PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=FEAT,Armor Proficiency (Light),Armor Proficiency
            (Medium),etc.

            What you are looking for is PREEQUIP, that checks to see if you are
            wearing the designated item or TYPE to qualify.

            *amples:*

            |PREEQUIP:1,Leather Armor|

            Must have Leather Armor (only) equipped.

            |PREEQUIP:1,Leather Armor%|

            The "%" allows for items named Leather Armor (Masterwork), Leather Armor
            (+1) etc.

            |PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor|

            Must have some type of armor equipped.

            |PREEQUIP:2,TYPE=Armor,Sword (Long)%|

            Must be equipped with any Sword (Long), as well as any type of armor.

            |PREEQUIP:2,TYPE=Armor,TYPE=Shield|

            Must be equipped with any Armor and any Shield.

            |PREEQUIP:1,WIELDCATEGORY=TwoHanded|

            Must be equipped with a two handed weapon.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
              Is there a shorter way to do this? Rather than list every possible
              armor, it would look to see if the armor you're wearing is heavy,
              medium or light. Example: you choose the Light Armor choice. The feat
              will apply the foo bonus to ANY light armor you wear, from padded to
              chain shirt.

              Then, if you take the feat again, you can only choose between heavy
              and medium armor, and again, the foo benefit applies for any medium
              armor you're wearing, from hide to breastplate, if medium was your
              second selection.

              Naturally, this means you only have the feat a grand total of 3 times
              if you take all three armor types :)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                I tried this, but it doesn't work:

                PREEQUIP:1,Armor (Heavy)|Armor (Light)|Armor (Medium)

                again, it's looking for the armor type, not the specific armor
                itself. if needs be, will i have to use your earlier sample of,
                perhaps:

                PREEQUIP:1,Padded%|Leather%|Studded Leather%|Chain Shirt%

                and so forth to cover all the armor types that way? it's a lot of
                typing but that's ok too, i just wondered if there was a way to
                better streamline this.

                Thanks Andrew! :)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                  Another thing i just now thought of, what about named armor? for
                  example, the celestial armor (chainmail magic item from the DMG)
                  doesn't say "chainmail" in the armor name. but it is also considered
                  Light armor if i recall correctly. that's why i was wondering if the
                  preequip tag could look for armor type (light, medium or heavy) or is
                  it just the armor name itself?

                  <musicguerilla@...> wrote:

                  > Is there a shorter way to do this? Rather than list every possible
                  > armor, it would look to see if the armor you're wearing is heavy,
                  > medium or light. Example: you choose the Light Armor choice. The
                  feat
                  > will apply the foo bonus to ANY light armor you wear, from padded
                  > chain shirt.
                  >
                  > Then, if you take the feat again, you can only choose between heavy
                  > and medium armor, and again, the foo benefit applies for any medium
                  > armor you're wearing, from hide to breastplate, if medium was your
                  > second selection.
                  >
                  > Naturally, this means you only have the feat a grand total of 3
                  times
                  > if you take all three armor types :)
                  >
                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland
                  > <drew0500@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What you are looking for is PREEQUIP, that checks to see if you
                  are
                  > > wearing the designated item or TYPE to qualify.
                  > >
                  > > *samples:*
                  > >
                  > > |PREEQUIP:1,Leather Armor|
                  > >
                  > > Must have Leather Armor (only) equipped.
                  > >
                  > > |PREEQUIP:1,Leather Armor%|
                  > >
                  > > The "%" allows for items named Leather Armor (Masterwork),
                  Leather
                  > Armor
                  > > (+1) etc.
                  > >
                  > > |PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor|
                  > >
                  > > Must have some type of armor equipped.
                  > >
                  > > |PREEQUIP:2,TYPE=Armor,Sword (Long)%|
                  > >
                  > > Must be equipped with any Sword (Long), as well as any type of
                  > armor.
                  > >
                  > > |PREEQUIP:2,TYPE=Armor,TYPE=Shield|
                  > >
                  > > Must be equipped with any Armor and any Shield.
                  > >
                  > > |PREEQUIP:1,WIELDCATEGORY=TwoHanded|
                  > >
                  > > Must be equipped with a two handed weapon.

                • Paul Grosse
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                    It uses the Amorprof for chainmail IIRC

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                      Sorry bout the delay reply. I'll try and address your concerns and find
                      a solution, unfortunately I've been up approx 24 hours straight, and
                      still have another 10 hours to go... So my normally cheery rapid replies
                      aren't going to happen any time soon.

                      For PRExxx tags, UNLESS I'm mistaken, it should be ',' comma delimited.

                      PREEQUIP:1,TYPE.Heavy,TYPE.Medium,TYPE.Light,Leather%,Chain%

                      Anyways, I'll go back and reread what you're doing, and hopefully Tir,
                      Eddy, or another less busy Monkey can assist your endeavor here... :-)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
                        Do you still need assistance with this Bri?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
                          I'm trying to figure out what the intent is here; not following the
                          discussion, so I'm going back to the original post and going off that.

                          > <PREARMORPROF:1,TYPE.Heavy,TYPE.Light,TYPE.Medium>

                          I would go PREFEAT:1,Armor Proficiency (Heavy),Armor Proficiency
                          (Light),Armor Proficiency (Medium) instead of the PREARMORPROF for the
                          feat.
                          My reason for that is future impelementation (Nuts and bolts/ Advanced
                          answer: We are moving to not simply proficiency by TYPE, so what you
                          are really wanting to test is if the character is proficient with all
                          Light armors, opposed to proficient with a single Armor of a given
                          type.)

                          For setting up the Feat itself, you will want:
                          MULT:YES (can be chosen multiple times), and
                          STACK:NO (Can't choose the same choice more than once).

                          Next is the CHOOSE

                          CHOOSE:ARMORTYPE|1
                          In all, the character will be able to select this feat 3 times (unless
                          you define more armor types.

                          After that is the BONUS. Simply do this 3 times, one for each TYPE

                          BONUS:Whatever|Subwhatever|<1 or whatever>|PREFEAT:1,My
                          Feat(Light)|PREVAREQ:1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.LIGHT]")

                          BONUS:Whatever|Subwhatever|<1 or whatever>|PREFEAT:1,My
                          Feat(Medium)|PREVAREQ:1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.MEDIUM]")

                          BONUS:Whatever|Subwhatever|<1 or whatever>|PREFEAT:1,My
                          Feat(Heavy)|PREVAREQ:1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY]")

                          And now that I think about it, since there are only 3 choices, you
                          could break them up into 3 separate feats, like the Armor Prof feats
                          are done.