Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] 4th Edition OGL *** MODERATOR POST ***

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
      > The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be allowed to
      > create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit becomes
      > available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever, be
      > barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Stefan.

      True, which seems really weird given the wording of the OGL v1.0a....

    • Jonathan Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
        My guess, and remember this is only a guess and IANAL, is that 4.0 is so
        different from 3.5 that they can close the material until they decide to
        release it. Being that its now "closed" they can dictate the terms on
        release from 3rd Party Publishers. As a print publisher, I feel that my 5g
        are better spent on product development than for a chance to get the rules
        early. That gives me a year to tweak it all and I will be releasing two
        separate settings come January 2009.

        Now, its possible I could be wrong considering i have not had any ability to
        actually see the rules.

        --
        Jonathan M. Thompson
        Battlefield Press, Inc

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
          > The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be
          > allowed to create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit
          becomes
          > available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever,
          > be barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.

          I don't see it that way. They have no control over PCGen (the program).

          We can make the program capable of handling the 4.0 data and release it as
          soon as we feel it's ready, it would just have to be without 4e data. The
          program itself is *not* under the OGL, past or future, nor can they make it
          be.

          So, we could do the program work and send it out there for those intrepid
          souls who want to enter their own data, and then release data sets for the
          OGL content after Jan 1, 2009. (Which is what I think we should do
          personally).

          Some people can get the PHB in May when it's released, comb through it for
          necessary functionality changes and start getting FREQs entered for 6.1 (I'd
          call that the 4e compatibility release :p) and try and get it out there in
          time for Gencon...

          Barak