Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] 4th Edition OGL *** MODERATOR POST ***

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
      On Tuesday 08 January 2008 21:04:12 David R. Bender wrote:

      > PCGen does not have a business license, so that ends that ( lol ).
      > Also, as we have not seen the OGL or SRD, please let us not speculate on
      > what we can and cannot do,

      The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be allowed to
      create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit becomes
      available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever, be
      barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.

      Regards,
      Stefan.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
        > The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be allowed to
        > create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit becomes
        > available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever, be
        > barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Stefan.

        True, which seems really weird given the wording of the OGL v1.0a....

      • Jonathan Thompson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
          My guess, and remember this is only a guess and IANAL, is that 4.0 is so
          different from 3.5 that they can close the material until they decide to
          release it. Being that its now "closed" they can dictate the terms on
          release from 3rd Party Publishers. As a print publisher, I feel that my 5g
          are better spent on product development than for a chance to get the rules
          early. That gives me a year to tweak it all and I will be releasing two
          separate settings come January 2009.

          Now, its possible I could be wrong considering i have not had any ability to
          actually see the rules.

          --
          Jonathan M. Thompson
          Battlefield Press, Inc

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
            > The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be
            > allowed to create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit
            becomes
            > available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever,
            > be barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.

            I don't see it that way. They have no control over PCGen (the program).

            We can make the program capable of handling the 4.0 data and release it as
            soon as we feel it's ready, it would just have to be without 4e data. The
            program itself is *not* under the OGL, past or future, nor can they make it
            be.

            So, we could do the program work and send it out there for those intrepid
            souls who want to enter their own data, and then release data sets for the
            OGL content after Jan 1, 2009. (Which is what I think we should do
            personally).

            Some people can get the PHB in May when it's released, comb through it for
            necessary functionality changes and start getting FREQs entered for 6.1 (I'd
            call that the 4e compatibility release :p) and try and get it out there in
            time for Gencon...

            Barak