4th Edition OGL *** MODERATOR POST ***

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
      Folks,

      PCGen does not have a business license, so that ends that ( lol ).

      Also, as we have not seen the OGL or SRD, please let us not speculate on
      what we can and cannot do,

      thanks!!

      -- David
      Papa-DRB

      Grognard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

      Dennis Baker wrote:
      > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080108a
      >
      > I am curious if the PCGen team is planning on purchasing the 4th gen OGL or
      > are they going to wait until it's published? I guess since you need a
      > business license (and $5000) it's pretty unlikely you will be buying it.
      >
      > Maybe this is the wrong place but when it's released I would be willing to
      > help code lst files for 4th edition.
    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
        On Tuesday 08 January 2008 21:04:12 David R. Bender wrote:

        > PCGen does not have a business license, so that ends that ( lol ).
        > Also, as we have not seen the OGL or SRD, please let us not speculate on
        > what we can and cannot do,

        The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be allowed to
        create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit becomes
        available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever, be
        barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.

        Regards,
        Stefan.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
          > The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be allowed to
          > create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit becomes
          > available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever, be
          > barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Stefan.

          True, which seems really weird given the wording of the OGL v1.0a....

        • Jonathan Thompson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
            My guess, and remember this is only a guess and IANAL, is that 4.0 is so
            different from 3.5 that they can close the material until they decide to
            release it. Being that its now "closed" they can dictate the terms on
            release from 3rd Party Publishers. As a print publisher, I feel that my 5g
            are better spent on product development than for a chance to get the rules
            early. That gives me a year to tweak it all and I will be releasing two
            separate settings come January 2009.

            Now, its possible I could be wrong considering i have not had any ability to
            actually see the rules.

            --
            Jonathan M. Thompson
            Battlefield Press, Inc

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
              > The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be
              > allowed to create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit
              becomes
              > available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever,
              > be barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.

              I don't see it that way. They have no control over PCGen (the program).

              We can make the program capable of handling the 4.0 data and release it as
              soon as we feel it's ready, it would just have to be without 4e data. The
              program itself is *not* under the OGL, past or future, nor can they make it
              be.

              So, we could do the program work and send it out there for those intrepid
              souls who want to enter their own data, and then release data sets for the
              OGL content after Jan 1, 2009. (Which is what I think we should do
              personally).

              Some people can get the PHB in May when it's released, comb through it for
              necessary functionality changes and start getting FREQs entered for 6.1 (I'd
              call that the 4e compatibility release :p) and try and get it out there in
              time for Gencon...

              Barak