4th Edition OGL

  • Dennis Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
      http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080108a

      I am curious if the PCGen team is planning on purchasing the 4th gen OGL or
      are they going to wait until it's published? I guess since you need a
      business license (and $5000) it's pretty unlikely you will be buying it.

      Maybe this is the wrong place but when it's released I would be willing to
      help code lst files for 4th edition.

      --
      Dennis Da-Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
        Folks,

        PCGen does not have a business license, so that ends that ( lol ).

        Also, as we have not seen the OGL or SRD, please let us not speculate on
        what we can and cannot do,

        thanks!!

        -- David
        Papa-DRB

        Grognard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

        Dennis Baker wrote:
        > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080108a
        >
        > I am curious if the PCGen team is planning on purchasing the 4th gen OGL or
        > are they going to wait until it's published? I guess since you need a
        > business license (and $5000) it's pretty unlikely you will be buying it.
        >
        > Maybe this is the wrong place but when it's released I would be willing to
        > help code lst files for 4th edition.
      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
          On Tuesday 08 January 2008 21:04:12 David R. Bender wrote:

          > PCGen does not have a business license, so that ends that ( lol ).
          > Also, as we have not seen the OGL or SRD, please let us not speculate on
          > what we can and cannot do,

          The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be allowed to
          create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit becomes
          available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever, be
          barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.

          Regards,
          Stefan.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
            > The wording of the press release indicates however that we would be allowed to
            > create a D&D 4th Edition based PCGen when the OGL Designer Kit becomes
            > available for free on June 6, 2008 ("Phase Two"). We would, hoewever, be
            > barred form releasing it before January 1, 2009.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Stefan.

            True, which seems really weird given the wording of the OGL v1.0a....

          • Jonathan Thompson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
              My guess, and remember this is only a guess and IANAL, is that 4.0 is so
              different from 3.5 that they can close the material until they decide to
              release it. Being that its now "closed" they can dictate the terms on
              release from 3rd Party Publishers. As a print publisher, I feel that my 5g
              are better spent on product development than for a chance to get the rules
              early. That gives me a year to tweak it all and I will be releasing two
              separate settings come January 2009.

              Now, its possible I could be wrong considering i have not had any ability to
              actually see the rules.

              --
              Jonathan M. Thompson
              Battlefield Press, Inc

            • Barak
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008

                I don't see it that way. They have no control over PCGen (the program).

                We can make the program capable of handling the 4.0 data and release it as
                soon as we feel it's ready, it would just have to be without 4e data. The
                program itself is *not* under the OGL, past or future, nor can they make it
                be.

                So, we could do the program work and send it out there for those intrepid
                souls who want to enter their own data, and then release data sets for the
                OGL content after Jan 1, 2009. (Which is what I think we should do
                personally).

                Some people can get the PHB in May when it's released, comb through it for
                necessary functionality changes and start getting FREQs entered for 6.1 (I'd
                call that the 4e compatibility release :p) and try and get it out there in
                time for Gencon...

                Barak