Defining custom JEP functions?

  • Rodent of Unusual Size
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2007
      Our campaign has a custom prestige class that includes some
      shapeshifting abilities. If the form being adopted has
      fewer native hit dice than the character, the character's
      ability scores are maximised with the form's. If the form
      has more hit dice than the character, the character's
      abilities aren't changed.

      We're handling the different possible adopted forms by defining
      them as templates, and the biz with the abilities is done
      with some JEP code. Unfortunately, it's a bit bulky, so
      I was wondering if PCGen supports custom JEP classes? Can
      I just put a jar file into the jepplugins directory to make
      it available?
      --
      #ken P-)}

      Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini http://Ken.Coar.Org/
      Author, developer, opinionist http://Apache-Server.Com/

      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
        On 12/31/07, Rodent of Unusual Size <coar@...> wrote:
        > Our campaign has a custom prestige class that includes some
        > shapeshifting abilities. If the form being adopted has
        > fewer native hit dice than the character, the character's
        > ability scores are maximised with the form's. If the form
        > has more hit dice than the character, the character's
        > abilities aren't changed.
        >
        > We're handling the different possible adopted forms by defining
        > them as templates, and the biz with the abilities is done
        > with some JEP code. Unfortunately, it's a bit bulky, so
        > I was wondering if PCGen supports custom JEP classes? Can
        > I just put a jar file into the jepplugins directory to make
        > it available?

        I know we Extend the JEP classes with new functions, like var(), etc.
        I don't know exactly how that is done. Flagging for a Code Monkey.

      • joefrazierjr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
          <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

          > On 12/31/07, Rodent of Unusual Size <coar@...> wrote:
          > > Our campaign has a custom prestige class that includes some
          > > shapeshifting abilities. If the form being adopted has
          > > fewer native hit dice than the character, the character's
          > > ability scores are maximised with the form's. If the form
          > > has more hit dice than the character, the character's
          > > abilities aren't changed.
          > >
          > > We're handling the different possible adopted forms by defining
          > > them as templates, and the biz with the abilities is done
          > > with some JEP code. Unfortunately, it's a bit bulky, so
          > > I was wondering if PCGen supports custom JEP classes? Can
          > > I just put a jar file into the jepplugins directory to make
          > > it available?
          >
          > I know we Extend the JEP classes with new functions, like var(), etc.
          > I don't know exactly how that is done. Flagging for a Code Monkey.
          >

          > --
          > Tir Gwaith
          > PCGen LST Chimp

          Not sure about extending JEP, but if you add a new plugin, you would
          need to also add it to pluginbuild.xml and build with ANT so it gets
          packaged into a jar file and made available for PCGen to use. James
          or someone else will be able to provide more information.

          Joe
        • c_j_n@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
            Is there anyone who could walk me through adding
            class, skills, items and spells?

            I got a few people in our gaming group who bought
            additional books, and we sure as heck would like to
            continue using this program to automate all the work
            for us.

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • Terry FitzSimons
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
              Welcome to the pack.

              First go to the root PcGen directory and then double click on
              "navlistindex.html".

              Click on the "Back to table of contents" link at the top. On the next
              screen go to "Frequently Asked Questions" and open "I Want to Help to Make
              Datasets and use Prettylst"

              When you read through that go back to "navlistindex.html" and click on the
              three links there, the first two are nice information, but the "LST File
              Class" you need to work through the lessons, they are out of date and due
              to be updated soon.

              Got a question ask here, I think that the standard ban of not discussing
              closed content has slackened, but its better to be safe and just ask about
              generic things, "I have a ____ (feat, class, effect, ect) that does XYZ,
              but I can/cannot find a tag that covers this and would like some help."

              Terry

              --

              Terry FitzSimons
              FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

              Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
            • Dennis Baker
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
                Yeah what he said. These guys are awesome and fast at answering questions.

                --
                Dennis Da-Ogre http://ogrehut.com

              • Ken Coar
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2008
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "joefrazierjr"
                  <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

                  > Not sure about extending JEP, but if you add a new plugin, you would
                  > need to also add it to pluginbuild.xml and build with ANT so it gets
                  > packaged into a jar file and made available for PCGen to use. James
                  > or someone else will be able to provide more information.

                  Ergh. I'm not building PCGen from source; I'm using the prepackaged
                  Windows stuff. So I was hoping to be able to add something through
                  the equivalent of LST file editing for content addition.

                  Oh well..
                • joefrazierjr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Coar" <coar@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "joefrazierjr"
                    > <jfrazierjr@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Not sure about extending JEP, but if you add a new plugin, you would
                    > > need to also add it to pluginbuild.xml and build with ANT so it gets
                    > > packaged into a jar file and made available for PCGen to use. James
                    > > or someone else will be able to provide more information.
                    >
                    > Ergh. I'm not building PCGen from source; I'm using the prepackaged
                    > Windows stuff. So I was hoping to be able to add something through
                    > the equivalent of LST file editing for content addition.
                    >
                    > Oh well..

                    "Unfortunately, it's a bit bulky, so
                    I was wondering if PCGen supports custom JEP classes? Can
                    I just put a jar file into the jepplugins directory to make
                    it available?"

                    Sorry, took your quote above from the original post as you wanting to
                    write up the JEP functionality yourself in Java and integrate it into
                    the base code.

                    Joe
                  • Tom Parker
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
                      <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Coar" <coar@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "joefrazierjr"
                      > > <jfrazierjr@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Not sure about extending JEP, but if you add a new plugin, you would
                      > > > need to also add it to pluginbuild.xml and build with ANT so it gets
                      > > > packaged into a jar file and made available for PCGen to use.
                      James
                      > > > or someone else will be able to provide more information.

                      It only needs to be built by us if you want us to ship it. If you
                      only want to use it for homebrew items, a custom plugin can be placed
                      in the directory and work - no need for you to build PCGen from source.

                      > "Unfortunately, it's a bit bulky, so
                      > I was wondering if PCGen supports custom JEP classes? Can
                      > I just put a jar file into the jepplugins directory to make
                      > it available?"

                      Yes, it will become available.

                      TP.