Re: Adjusting Armor check penalty

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ainvarg" <ainvarg@...> wrote:

      > Trying to build another PrC. One of the abilities reduces the armor
      > check penalty for armor that the character is proficient with. No
      > mention of shields, so my interpretation is that any armor check
      > penalty from the shield should still apply.
      >
      > I tried
      >
      > BONUS:EQMARMOR|ACCHECK|2
      >
      > from the docs, but it did not seem to have any effect. So I changed
      > it to
      >
      > BONUS:MISC|ACCHECK|2
      >
      > Which appears to be working, except that will decrease the penalty
      > past zero. At a later level, the armor check penalty is reduced by 2
      > more to a total of 4. In my testing, I found a suit of armor with a
      > -3 armor check penalty. For this character, his armor check penalty
      > becomes +1 (and should be a 0 because you cannot reduce a penalty to
      > the point where it's a bonus). And when he equips a light shield (-1
      > armor check penalty), his overall armor check penalty becomes 0 (by my
      > interpretation of the class, it should be a -1 from the shield, which
      > is unaffected by the special ability.
      >
      > Am I doing something wrong or do I need to do a bit of JEP work on
      > this (not sure how to do that since I don't think I can grab the
      > current armor check penalty to modify it)?
      >
      > Also, is there a way to restrict this benefit to only the armors that
      > the character is proficient with? The only PRExxx tag I see is for
      > classes of armor proficiency and doesn't appear to apply to the armor
      > being worn so much as the armor that could be worn without penalty.
      >
      > Other than this ability, which certainly doesn't prevent me from using
      > the class, I can claim to generating a pair of PrC today! I've been
      > lurking and trying to get over the hump with .lst files for a very,
      > very long time, so I have to tell you seeing some success (albeit on
      > the shoulders of the helpful folks here) is an awesome feeling.
      >
      > Happy New Year, everyone!
      >
      > I promise, when I calm down, my posts will get shorter...

      You could do what is done (or was done at one time) with the Arcane
      Archer. Create eqmod's which provide the specific bonuses only to the
      equipment you want (PRETYPE) and only for the class/level you want
      (PRECLASS). It's then up to the player to apply the eqmod to his
      equipment but, as it is a benefit to him, he likely won't forget.