Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Another question

    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 25, 2007
      Hi Jon,

      Here is how to play it safe; install the newer version in another folder (don't over write your existing files, etc.)

      Then attempt to load the pc and npcs. If they only scream errors but everything seems in order, save and you'll not get the errors again. However, if they fail to load, then don't mess with them. (oh and don't save if they fail to load.)

      BTW - errors are pop up saying "can't find blah" - this indicates something is missing or renamed. However, simple name changes will do that. So don't fret, check the character out, if everything looks good, excellent.

      IF you find things ARE NOT working correctly, please POST the results so Joe (Joe is making scripts for the Kits) and the code team can make an update script for the PCs, since this is a goal of 6.0 to bring all homebrew sets and PCs forward to make use of the new capabilities with little fuss and hopefully NO frustration.

      - Andrew Maitland
      - Admin SB

      joefrazierjr <jfrazierjr@...> wrote: --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "jseturtle2"
      wrote:

      > Thanks! I need to create the kit, so I will do that, and redo the
      > other steps to make sur that everything is in order.
      >
      > Several people have suggested that the update will take care of some
      > of the problems I have had; but before I install the upgrade, I need
      > to know if there will be backwards compatibility. My biggest problem
      > with version 5.12.X was that all my version 2 and version 3
      > characters were no longer readable/loadable. I couldn't update them,
      > and had to recreate them from scratch. I have now have some 50+
      > characters/NPCs with 5.12; will 5.13 be able to load them and modify
      > them for reprints? I really don't feel like trying to recreate them
      > all again.
      >
      > Jon

      A lot of that depends on the classes they are. Many of the special
      abilities that used to be feats have been moved to the Ability Object.
      From the Core, Rogues and Rangers are probably the most affected.
      As always, you can install the two in side by side mode so you can
      judge if the time required is worth it. I would say it would be even
      if you have to spend some time fixing the characters manually.

      Joe

      Yahoo! Groups Links