Re: BONUS:CASTERLEVEL question

  • Mark St. Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde"
      <brasstilde@...> wrote:

      > Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Mark St. Thomas wrote:
      > >> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SCHOOL.Conjuration,SUBSCHOOL.Creation|1
      >
      > >> I probably could get away with SUBSCHOOL.Creation alone only if
      > >> Creation is strictly a subschool of Conjuration and no other
      school.
      > >> (At least I haven't seen any spells where Creation is not a
      subschool
      > >> of Conjuration yet.)
      >
      > > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SUBSCHOOL.Creation|1 aught to work.
      >
      > If there was a spell "where Creation is not a subschool of
      Conjuration",
      > is it possible to put some kind of PRExxx on it?
      >
      > Brad

      You've come to the heart of my problem. Suppose that the Creation
      subschool is NOT a subschool of Conjuration, but some other school.
      How can we handle that?

      I've thought about that myself, but it would not work. By putting a
      PRESPELLSCHOOL:x,y=z then the above BONUS would add 1 to the
      casterlevel for every occurance of the Creation subschool whether or
      not the Creation subschool is a subschool of that particular school.
      What I'd like to see is

      BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SCHOOL.x,SUBSCHOOL.y|z

      Then we wouldn't have to worry any subschool being a non-standard
      subschool of a particular school.

      Can anybody follow what I'm saying?:)
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        Well, we don't have anything able to handle that currently. The Syntax
        only takes one indicator and none of the PRExxx tags can check the
        current spell to exclude it.

        I'd say you'd have to spot check it. But as far as I know, there aren't
        any Creation from any other schools, even the dual schools.

        Mark St. Thomas wrote:
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde"
        > <brasstilde@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

        > school.

        > subschool

        >>> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SUBSCHOOL.Creation|1 aught to work.
        >>>
        >> If there was a spell "where Creation is not a subschool of
        >>
        > Conjuration",
        >
        >> is it possible to put some kind of PRExxx on it?
        >>
        >> Brad
        >>

        > You've come to the heart of my problem. Suppose that the Creation
        > subschool is NOT a subschool of Conjuration, but some other school.
        > How can we handle that?
        >
        > I've thought about that myself, but it would not work. By putting a
        > PRESPELLSCHOOL:x,y=z then the above BONUS would add 1 to the
        > casterlevel for every occurance of the Creation subschool whether or
        > not the Creation subschool is a subschool of that particular school.
        > What I'd like to see is
        >
        > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SCHOOL.x,SUBSCHOOL.y|z
        >
        > Then we wouldn't have to worry any subschool being a non-standard
        > subschool of a particular school.
        >
        > Can anybody follow what I'm saying?:)

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
          Mark St. Thomas <astromath@...> wrote:

          >> If there was a spell "where Creation is not a subschool of
          >> Conjuration", is it possible to put some kind of PRExxx on it?

          > You've come to the heart of my problem. Suppose that the Creation
          > subschool is NOT a subschool of Conjuration, but some other school.
          > How can we handle that?

          I don't know. I was wondering if a PRExxx of some kind would work, but
          now that I actually have the docs available, I can see that all of the
          PRExxx tags actually look at the character for the tested items, and not
          the item, which I should have noticed to begin with.

          Given the requirement in this case, I don't know how you would handle
          that. Is there a way to check the characteristics of a specific spell
          at run time?

          BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SUBSCHOOL.Creation|1+IIF(spell is
          'Conjuration.Creation', 0, -1)

          Unless there's a way to check the characteristics of the spell at
          run-time, I think you may end up just having to check manually and
          adjust instead of trying to do it automatically.