Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Alternate Spell System for 3.5 d20 RSRD

  • Joe Frazier, Jr.
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
      Andrew Maitland wrote:
      > Felonius Stark wrote:
      >
      >> Guess the documentation needs to be updated, since the latest
      >> information in the docs only says to use "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" instead of
      >> "ADD:SPELLLEVEL:", and that "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" was new as of 5.11.11.
      >> But I see the SPELLLEVEL: tag now. I'd that the advantage in this
      >> case of putting them all in a single tag, specifying all the levels at
      >> once is that it would allow a more clear connection within the spell
      >> types that he's (it seems) using...
      >>

      > Sometimes things are put in that weren't meant to be put in. Remember,
      > the doc monkeys aren't the code monkeys, and some information doesn't
      > come to light until somebody mentions it. With that said, over on the
      > _experimental group we are voting currently to remove the ADD:LEVEL
      > stuff from the docs and any remnant in the code, as it appears to have
      > never worked before. However, as with anything, we had to make sure it
      > won't break anything existing. You should see changes to that within the
      > next few weeks.
      >
      >> But that's just my thought on it...
      >>
      >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland
      >> <drew0500@...> wrote:
      >>

      >>> Don't use ADD:SPELLLEVEL, it doesn't work, hasn't worked, and is slated
      >>> for a vote to remove it entirely. Instead, you need to use SPELLLEVEL.
      >>>
      >>> You can add multiple spell levels with the one tag, but it is cleaner to
      >>> separate by level.

      Ok, after my original post, I spent quite a bit more time looking up the
      various tags. Now, without knowing the 3.5 rules on Psionic in
      intricate detail (last rules I had was for 2x), I think I will end up
      using the psionics rules. Since I have both and action type and a
      further subdivision, will use School and subschool on the spell side,
      PPCOST (though it is documented, I could not find a single use in the
      RSRD) to track the cost of each spell, and abilities to track which
      lists to which someone has access. In the spell lst file, I can then
      use PREABILITY to make sure that the user has access to said spell list
      prior to allowing them to put that spell into their known spells list.

      The only thing I am not sure about is the whole spelllevel tags since
      the whole point of a Magic point system is that spells DON'T have levels
      in the traditional sense. I was thinking of just putting everything
      into level 0 and give unlimited access to level 0 IF this is even
      required to get it to work. I guess technically, you could say that
      the MP cost is the same as the spell level(effectively giving x spell
      levels where x is the maximum caster level available, 20 in most
      campaigns), but again, there is no "you can cast 2 1st level spells per
      day" stuff to deal with.

      I think I am going to try this tonight and see how it plays out unless
      someone has any gotchas off the top of their head.

      thanks,
      Joe

    • joefrazierjr
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
        > Ok, after my original post, I spent quite a bit more time looking up
        the
        > various tags. Now, without knowing the 3.5 rules on Psionic in
        > intricate detail (last rules I had was for 2x), I think I will end up
        > using the psionics rules. Since I have both and action type and a
        > further subdivision, will use School and subschool on the spell side,
        > PPCOST (though it is documented, I could not find a single use in the
        > RSRD) to track the cost of each spell, and abilities to track which
        > lists to which someone has access. In the spell lst file, I can then
        > use PREABILITY to make sure that the user has access to said spell list
        > prior to allowing them to put that spell into their known spells
        list.

        > The only thing I am not sure about is the whole spelllevel tags since
        > the whole point of a Magic point system is that spells DON'T have
        levels
        > in the traditional sense. I was thinking of just putting everything
        > into level 0 and give unlimited access to level 0 IF this is even
        > required to get it to work. I guess technically, you could say that
        > the MP cost is the same as the spell level(effectively giving x spell
        > levels where x is the maximum caster level available, 20 in most
        > campaigns), but again, there is no "you can cast 2 1st level spells per
        > day" stuff to deal with.
        >
        > I think I am going to try this tonight and see how it plays out unless
        > someone has any gotchas off the top of their head.
        >
        > thanks,
        > Joe

        Ok, well, that did not work as I was expecting. I even tried copying
        an existing psionic spell into my custom spell lst and nothing shows
        up under the spells to choose from when I add my class level. Added the
        1<tab>KNOWN:20
        to the class level lines, but nothing worked. I even went so far as
        to make a copy of one of the existing psionic classes and change the
        name and choose that. Still no spells. Any pointers ?
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
          Does the class have a spell stat??

          Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?

          joefrazierjr wrote:
          >> Ok, after my original post, I spent quite a bit more time looking up
          >>
          > the
          >
          >> various tags. Now, without knowing the 3.5 rules on Psionic in
          >> intricate detail (last rules I had was for 2x), I think I will end up
          >> using the psionics rules. Since I have both and action type and a
          >> further subdivision, will use School and subschool on the spell side,
          >> PPCOST (though it is documented, I could not find a single use in the
          >> RSRD) to track the cost of each spell, and abilities to track which
          >> lists to which someone has access. In the spell lst file, I can then
          >> use PREABILITY to make sure that the user has access to said spell list
          >> prior to allowing them to put that spell into their known spells
          >>
          > list.
          >
          >> The only thing I am not sure about is the whole spelllevel tags since
          >> the whole point of a Magic point system is that spells DON'T have
          >>
          > levels
          >
          >> in the traditional sense. I was thinking of just putting everything
          >> into level 0 and give unlimited access to level 0 IF this is even
          >> required to get it to work. I guess technically, you could say that
          >> the MP cost is the same as the spell level(effectively giving x spell
          >> levels where x is the maximum caster level available, 20 in most
          >> campaigns), but again, there is no "you can cast 2 1st level spells per
          >> day" stuff to deal with.
          >>
          >> I think I am going to try this tonight and see how it plays out unless
          >> someone has any gotchas off the top of their head.
          >>
          >> thanks,
          >> Joe
          >>

          > Ok, well, that did not work as I was expecting. I even tried copying
          > an existing psionic spell into my custom spell lst and nothing shows
          > up under the spells to choose from when I add my class level. Added the
          > 1<tab>KNOWN:20
          > to the class level lines, but nothing worked. I even went so far as
          > to make a copy of one of the existing psionic classes and change the
          > name and choose that. Still no spells. Any pointers ?

          -- Andrew Maitland
          Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        • Joe Frazier, Jr.
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
            Andrew Maitland wrote:
            > Does the class have a spell stat??

            Yes

            > Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?

            No, but I added it real quick, and no dice...

            Joe
          • joefrazierjr
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Frazier, Jr."
              <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

              > Andrew Maitland wrote:
              > > Does the class have a spell stat??
              > >

              > Yes
              >

              > > Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?
              > >

              > No, but I added it real quick, and no dice...
              >
              > Joe

              For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
              PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
              this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?

              Joe
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must meet one
                of the following criteria:
                1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)
                2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)
                3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)

                You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get zip as a
                0th level caster.

                For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell' reference
                the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                matters.

                Sorry, my brain is fried from running some intense calls today.

                As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  > In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must meet one
                  > of the following criteria:
                  > 1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                  > (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)

                  using CLASSES:ALL=1

                  > 2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                  > (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)

                  Don't want to limit it this way, but I may try this for troubleshooting
                  reasons.
                  > 3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                  > ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)

                  ???? Not sure what this means.
                  > You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get zip as a
                  > 0th level caster.

                  1 BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|EOM Mage|CL
                  > For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell' reference
                  > the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                  > matters.

                  Again, I don't want to limit it this way unless I absolutely have to,
                  but I will try this also. However, I would hope that the ALL tag should
                  work.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                    > As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                    > ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.

                    > > For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                    > > PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                    > > this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?

                    PREPPCOST doesn't make any sense. PPCOST is the cost for casting the
                    spell, which is defined in the spell.

                    What are you trying to do?

                  • Joe Frazier, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                      Tir Gwaith wrote:
                      >> As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                      >> ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.
                      >>

                      >>> For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                      >>> PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                      >>> this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?
                      >>>

                      > PREPPCOST doesn't make any sense. PPCOST is the cost for casting the
                      > spell, which is defined in the spell.
                      >
                      > What are you trying to do?

                      Honestly Tir, I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. I guess
                      my brain is fried at this point. I know I had "something" in my mind as
                      to why I wanted it, but right now, I just can't think of what it is.
                      I guess that's what I get for posting after being up for 18 hours.

                      Joe
                    • joefrazierjr
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                        <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

                        > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                        > > In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must
                        meet one
                        > > of the following criteria:
                        > > 1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                        > > (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)
                        > >

                        > using CLASSES:ALL=1
                        >
                        > > 2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                        > > (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)
                        > >
                        > Don't want to limit it this way, but I may try this for troubleshooting
                        > reasons.
                        > > 3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                        > > ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)
                        > >
                        > ???? Not sure what this means.
                        > > You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get
                        zip as a
                        > > 0th level caster.
                        > >
                        > 1 BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|EOM Mage|CL
                        > > For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell'
                        reference
                        > > the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                        > > matters.
                        > >
                        > Again, I don't want to limit it this way unless I absolutely have to,
                        > but I will try this also. However, I would hope that the ALL tag
                        should
                        > work.
                        > > Sorry, my brain is fried from running some intense calls today.
                        > >
                        > > As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack
                        thereof. I'd
                        > > ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with
                        your plans.

                        Success!!! Stupid missing comment. My class file was missing a
                        comment character. I entered that and it now shows!!!

                        On with the show.