Re: Alternate Spell System for 3.5 d20 RSRD

  • Felonius Stark
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
      I'd probably use ADD:SPELLLEVEL|<Classname>=<spelllevel>|<spellname>

      But that would take forever... Does anyone know if you specify more
      than one spell level with this tag? The documentation is is a bit
      bare on this tag...

      As was said before, I don't think there's a very clean way to solve
      this problem.

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Ian Homeyard

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
        Don't use ADD:SPELLLEVEL, it doesn't work, hasn't worked, and is slated
        for a vote to remove it entirely. Instead, you need to use SPELLLEVEL.

        You can add multiple spell levels with the one tag, but it is cleaner to
        separate by level.

        Felonius Stark wrote:
        > I'd probably use ADD:SPELLLEVEL|<Classname>=<spelllevel>|<spellname>
        >
        > But that would take forever... Does anyone know if you specify more
        > than one spell level with this tag? The documentation is is a bit
        > bare on this tag...
        >
        > As was said before, I don't think there's a very clean way to solve
        > this problem.
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Ian Homeyard
        > <krensky2001@...> wrote:
        >
        >> --- joefrazierjr <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> [SNIP]
        >>

        >>> Am I barking up the wrong tree here in trying to use
        >>> the domains?
        >>> Should I be using custom abilities instead along
        >>> with preability?
        >>>
        >> I think you are, since there's a big conceptual
        >> difference between domains and spell lists. The
        >> easiest way would probably be to treat each one either
        >> as a hidden feat or as a custom ability and when a
        >> caster gains new lists, give them a CHOOSE. Without
        >> thinking much (or being that familiar with the ability
        >> LST code) feats might work better as you could tag
        >> them according to the action and target to make things
        >> like mastery and the various real feats easier to
        >> code. Admittedly it's alot of typing, but I'm not
        >> sure how else to handle it smoothly.

        -- Andrew Maitland
        Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      • Felonius Stark
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
          Guess the documentation needs to be updated, since the latest
          information in the docs only says to use "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" instead of
          "ADD:SPELLLEVEL:", and that "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" was new as of 5.11.11.
          But I see the SPELLLEVEL: tag now. I'd that the advantage in this
          case of putting them all in a single tag, specifying all the levels at
          once is that it would allow a more clear connection within the spell
          types that he's (it seems) using...

          But that's just my thought on it...

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
            Felonius Stark wrote:
            > Guess the documentation needs to be updated, since the latest
            > information in the docs only says to use "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" instead of
            > "ADD:SPELLLEVEL:", and that "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" was new as of 5.11.11.
            > But I see the SPELLLEVEL: tag now. I'd that the advantage in this
            > case of putting them all in a single tag, specifying all the levels at
            > once is that it would allow a more clear connection within the spell
            > types that he's (it seems) using...

            Sometimes things are put in that weren't meant to be put in. Remember,
            the doc monkeys aren't the code monkeys, and some information doesn't
            come to light until somebody mentions it. With that said, over on the
            _experimental group we are voting currently to remove the ADD:LEVEL
            stuff from the docs and any remnant in the code, as it appears to have
            never worked before. However, as with anything, we had to make sure it
            won't break anything existing. You should see changes to that within the
            next few weeks.

          • Joe Frazier, Jr.
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
              Andrew Maitland wrote:
              > Felonius Stark wrote:
              >
              >> Guess the documentation needs to be updated, since the latest
              >> information in the docs only says to use "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" instead of
              >> "ADD:SPELLLEVEL:", and that "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" was new as of 5.11.11.
              >> But I see the SPELLLEVEL: tag now. I'd that the advantage in this
              >> case of putting them all in a single tag, specifying all the levels at
              >> once is that it would allow a more clear connection within the spell
              >> types that he's (it seems) using...
              >>

              > Sometimes things are put in that weren't meant to be put in. Remember,
              > the doc monkeys aren't the code monkeys, and some information doesn't
              > come to light until somebody mentions it. With that said, over on the
              > _experimental group we are voting currently to remove the ADD:LEVEL
              > stuff from the docs and any remnant in the code, as it appears to have
              > never worked before. However, as with anything, we had to make sure it
              > won't break anything existing. You should see changes to that within the
              > next few weeks.
              >
              >> But that's just my thought on it...
              >>
              >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland
              >> <drew0500@...> wrote:
              >>

              >>> Don't use ADD:SPELLLEVEL, it doesn't work, hasn't worked, and is slated
              >>> for a vote to remove it entirely. Instead, you need to use SPELLLEVEL.
              >>>
              >>> You can add multiple spell levels with the one tag, but it is cleaner to
              >>> separate by level.

              Ok, after my original post, I spent quite a bit more time looking up the
              various tags. Now, without knowing the 3.5 rules on Psionic in
              intricate detail (last rules I had was for 2x), I think I will end up
              using the psionics rules. Since I have both and action type and a
              further subdivision, will use School and subschool on the spell side,
              PPCOST (though it is documented, I could not find a single use in the
              RSRD) to track the cost of each spell, and abilities to track which
              lists to which someone has access. In the spell lst file, I can then
              use PREABILITY to make sure that the user has access to said spell list
              prior to allowing them to put that spell into their known spells list.

              The only thing I am not sure about is the whole spelllevel tags since
              the whole point of a Magic point system is that spells DON'T have levels
              in the traditional sense. I was thinking of just putting everything
              into level 0 and give unlimited access to level 0 IF this is even
              required to get it to work. I guess technically, you could say that
              the MP cost is the same as the spell level(effectively giving x spell
              levels where x is the maximum caster level available, 20 in most
              campaigns), but again, there is no "you can cast 2 1st level spells per
              day" stuff to deal with.

              I think I am going to try this tonight and see how it plays out unless
              someone has any gotchas off the top of their head.

              thanks,
              Joe

            • joefrazierjr
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                > Ok, after my original post, I spent quite a bit more time looking up
                the
                > various tags. Now, without knowing the 3.5 rules on Psionic in
                > intricate detail (last rules I had was for 2x), I think I will end up
                > using the psionics rules. Since I have both and action type and a
                > further subdivision, will use School and subschool on the spell side,
                > PPCOST (though it is documented, I could not find a single use in the
                > RSRD) to track the cost of each spell, and abilities to track which
                > lists to which someone has access. In the spell lst file, I can then
                > use PREABILITY to make sure that the user has access to said spell list
                > prior to allowing them to put that spell into their known spells
                list.

                > The only thing I am not sure about is the whole spelllevel tags since
                > the whole point of a Magic point system is that spells DON'T have
                levels
                > in the traditional sense. I was thinking of just putting everything
                > into level 0 and give unlimited access to level 0 IF this is even
                > required to get it to work. I guess technically, you could say that
                > the MP cost is the same as the spell level(effectively giving x spell
                > levels where x is the maximum caster level available, 20 in most
                > campaigns), but again, there is no "you can cast 2 1st level spells per
                > day" stuff to deal with.
                >
                > I think I am going to try this tonight and see how it plays out unless
                > someone has any gotchas off the top of their head.
                >
                > thanks,
                > Joe

                Ok, well, that did not work as I was expecting. I even tried copying
                an existing psionic spell into my custom spell lst and nothing shows
                up under the spells to choose from when I add my class level. Added the
                1<tab>KNOWN:20
                to the class level lines, but nothing worked. I even went so far as
                to make a copy of one of the existing psionic classes and change the
                name and choose that. Still no spells. Any pointers ?
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Does the class have a spell stat??

                  Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                    Andrew Maitland wrote:
                    > Does the class have a spell stat??

                    Yes

                    > Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?

                    No, but I added it real quick, and no dice...

                    Joe
                  • joefrazierjr
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Frazier, Jr."
                      <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

                      > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                      > > Does the class have a spell stat??
                      > >

                      > Yes
                      >

                      > > Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?
                      > >

                      > No, but I added it real quick, and no dice...
                      >
                      > Joe

                      For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                      PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                      this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?

                      Joe
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                        In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must meet one
                        of the following criteria:
                        1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                        (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)
                        2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                        (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)
                        3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                        ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)

                        You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get zip as a
                        0th level caster.

                        For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell' reference
                        the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                        matters.

                        Sorry, my brain is fried from running some intense calls today.

                        As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                        ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                          Andrew Maitland wrote:
                          > In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must meet one
                          > of the following criteria:
                          > 1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                          > (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)

                          using CLASSES:ALL=1

                          > 2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                          > (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)

                          Don't want to limit it this way, but I may try this for troubleshooting
                          reasons.
                          > 3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                          > ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)

                          ???? Not sure what this means.
                          > You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get zip as a
                          > 0th level caster.

                          1 BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|EOM Mage|CL
                          > For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell' reference
                          > the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                          > matters.

                          Again, I don't want to limit it this way unless I absolutely have to,
                          but I will try this also. However, I would hope that the ALL tag should
                          work.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                            > As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                            > ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.

                            > > For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                            > > PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                            > > this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?

                            PREPPCOST doesn't make any sense. PPCOST is the cost for casting the
                            spell, which is defined in the spell.

                            What are you trying to do?

                          • Joe Frazier, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                              Tir Gwaith wrote:
                              >> As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                              >> ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.
                              >>

                              >>> For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                              >>> PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                              >>> this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?
                              >>>

                              > PREPPCOST doesn't make any sense. PPCOST is the cost for casting the
                              > spell, which is defined in the spell.
                              >
                              > What are you trying to do?

                              Honestly Tir, I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. I guess
                              my brain is fried at this point. I know I had "something" in my mind as
                              to why I wanted it, but right now, I just can't think of what it is.
                              I guess that's what I get for posting after being up for 18 hours.

                              Joe
                            • joefrazierjr
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                                <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

                                > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                > > In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must
                                meet one
                                > > of the following criteria:
                                > > 1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                                > > (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)
                                > >

                                > using CLASSES:ALL=1
                                >
                                > > 2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                                > > (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)
                                > >
                                > Don't want to limit it this way, but I may try this for troubleshooting
                                > reasons.
                                > > 3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                                > > ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)
                                > >
                                > ???? Not sure what this means.
                                > > You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get
                                zip as a
                                > > 0th level caster.
                                > >
                                > 1 BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|EOM Mage|CL
                                > > For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell'
                                reference
                                > > the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                                > > matters.
                                > >
                                > Again, I don't want to limit it this way unless I absolutely have to,
                                > but I will try this also. However, I would hope that the ALL tag
                                should
                                > work.
                                > > Sorry, my brain is fried from running some intense calls today.
                                > >
                                > > As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack
                                thereof. I'd
                                > > ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with
                                your plans.

                                Success!!! Stupid missing comment. My class file was missing a
                                comment character. I entered that and it now shows!!!

                                On with the show.