Alternate Spell System for 3.5 d20 RSRD

  • joefrazierjr
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
      I am working on a dataset using a commercial product and am trying to
      figure out how to do the spells. The root of the system is spell
      point based. In a nutshell, the system does not use any of the
      existing spells. A spell caster (depending on class) gets x types of
      spells. There are somewhere in area of 120 possible classifications.
      The base types are:

      Infuse/drain (buffs)
      Charm
      Compel
      Evoke (damage)
      Transform
      Summon
      etc

      Each of these base types takes a subtype of one of 22 elements (life,
      death, fire, ice, water, etc), or an absolute alignment type (law,
      chaos, good, evil, balance), or a creature type (humanoid, dragon,
      ooze, construct,etc). Of course, some combinations are non-sensical
      (Charm Fire is not allowed for example as this would not make any sense)

      Anyway, I created a Domain lst file and linked it into my pcc file, I
      added BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|6 to my testing class. When I take the
      class, I get the pools in the Domains section, but no domains show up
      in the list.

      Basically, this system has the spell caster to choose his specific
      type of spell "domains/school" from the list as they advance levels.
      The types are then used to create specific spells on the fly by
      spending Magic Points to add the effect type (for example, Evoke Fire
      1 would add 1d6 of damage), range, area of effect, and duration. You
      buy each component up to your caster level of total effect which is a
      cap. You can even combine effects such as Evoke Fire/Evoke Ice in a
      single spell. In addition to the create on the fly, the users can
      also create their own pre and have a small number of "memorized"
      spells that take a reduced casting time but otherwise, follow the
      above rules.

      I was trying also thinking of co-opting the PP system from the
      Psionics to keep track of the total Magic points since this is a very
      similar concept.

      Am I barking up the wrong tree here in trying to use the domains?
      Should I be using custom abilities instead along with preability? Is
      there a way to define a different spell type other than Arcane and
      Divine to filter by in the spell list?
    • Ian Homeyard
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
        --- joefrazierjr <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

        [SNIP]

        > Am I barking up the wrong tree here in trying to use
        > the domains?
        > Should I be using custom abilities instead along
        > with preability?

        I think you are, since there's a big conceptual
        difference between domains and spell lists. The
        easiest way would probably be to treat each one either
        as a hidden feat or as a custom ability and when a
        caster gains new lists, give them a CHOOSE. Without
        thinking much (or being that familiar with the ability
        LST code) feats might work better as you could tag
        them according to the action and target to make things
        like mastery and the various real feats easier to
        code. Admittedly it's alot of typing, but I'm not
        sure how else to handle it smoothly.
      • Felonius Stark
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
          I'd probably use ADD:SPELLLEVEL|<Classname>=<spelllevel>|<spellname>

          But that would take forever... Does anyone know if you specify more
          than one spell level with this tag? The documentation is is a bit
          bare on this tag...

          As was said before, I don't think there's a very clean way to solve
          this problem.

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Ian Homeyard

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
            Don't use ADD:SPELLLEVEL, it doesn't work, hasn't worked, and is slated
            for a vote to remove it entirely. Instead, you need to use SPELLLEVEL.

            You can add multiple spell levels with the one tag, but it is cleaner to
            separate by level.

            Felonius Stark wrote:
            > I'd probably use ADD:SPELLLEVEL|<Classname>=<spelllevel>|<spellname>
            >
            > But that would take forever... Does anyone know if you specify more
            > than one spell level with this tag? The documentation is is a bit
            > bare on this tag...
            >
            > As was said before, I don't think there's a very clean way to solve
            > this problem.
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Ian Homeyard
            > <krensky2001@...> wrote:
            >
            >> --- joefrazierjr <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> [SNIP]
            >>

            >>> Am I barking up the wrong tree here in trying to use
            >>> the domains?
            >>> Should I be using custom abilities instead along
            >>> with preability?
            >>>
            >> I think you are, since there's a big conceptual
            >> difference between domains and spell lists. The
            >> easiest way would probably be to treat each one either
            >> as a hidden feat or as a custom ability and when a
            >> caster gains new lists, give them a CHOOSE. Without
            >> thinking much (or being that familiar with the ability
            >> LST code) feats might work better as you could tag
            >> them according to the action and target to make things
            >> like mastery and the various real feats easier to
            >> code. Admittedly it's alot of typing, but I'm not
            >> sure how else to handle it smoothly.

            -- Andrew Maitland
            Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
            "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

          • Felonius Stark
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
              Guess the documentation needs to be updated, since the latest
              information in the docs only says to use "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" instead of
              "ADD:SPELLLEVEL:", and that "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" was new as of 5.11.11.
              But I see the SPELLLEVEL: tag now. I'd that the advantage in this
              case of putting them all in a single tag, specifying all the levels at
              once is that it would allow a more clear connection within the spell
              types that he's (it seems) using...

              But that's just my thought on it...

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                Felonius Stark wrote:
                > Guess the documentation needs to be updated, since the latest
                > information in the docs only says to use "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" instead of
                > "ADD:SPELLLEVEL:", and that "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" was new as of 5.11.11.
                > But I see the SPELLLEVEL: tag now. I'd that the advantage in this
                > case of putting them all in a single tag, specifying all the levels at
                > once is that it would allow a more clear connection within the spell
                > types that he's (it seems) using...

                Sometimes things are put in that weren't meant to be put in. Remember,
                the doc monkeys aren't the code monkeys, and some information doesn't
                come to light until somebody mentions it. With that said, over on the
                _experimental group we are voting currently to remove the ADD:LEVEL
                stuff from the docs and any remnant in the code, as it appears to have
                never worked before. However, as with anything, we had to make sure it
                won't break anything existing. You should see changes to that within the
                next few weeks.

              • Joe Frazier, Jr.
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  > Felonius Stark wrote:
                  >
                  >> Guess the documentation needs to be updated, since the latest
                  >> information in the docs only says to use "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" instead of
                  >> "ADD:SPELLLEVEL:", and that "ADD:SPELLLEVEL|" was new as of 5.11.11.
                  >> But I see the SPELLLEVEL: tag now. I'd that the advantage in this
                  >> case of putting them all in a single tag, specifying all the levels at
                  >> once is that it would allow a more clear connection within the spell
                  >> types that he's (it seems) using...
                  >>

                  > Sometimes things are put in that weren't meant to be put in. Remember,
                  > the doc monkeys aren't the code monkeys, and some information doesn't
                  > come to light until somebody mentions it. With that said, over on the
                  > _experimental group we are voting currently to remove the ADD:LEVEL
                  > stuff from the docs and any remnant in the code, as it appears to have
                  > never worked before. However, as with anything, we had to make sure it
                  > won't break anything existing. You should see changes to that within the
                  > next few weeks.
                  >
                  >> But that's just my thought on it...
                  >>
                  >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland
                  >> <drew0500@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> Don't use ADD:SPELLLEVEL, it doesn't work, hasn't worked, and is slated
                  >>> for a vote to remove it entirely. Instead, you need to use SPELLLEVEL.
                  >>>
                  >>> You can add multiple spell levels with the one tag, but it is cleaner to
                  >>> separate by level.

                  Ok, after my original post, I spent quite a bit more time looking up the
                  various tags. Now, without knowing the 3.5 rules on Psionic in
                  intricate detail (last rules I had was for 2x), I think I will end up
                  using the psionics rules. Since I have both and action type and a
                  further subdivision, will use School and subschool on the spell side,
                  PPCOST (though it is documented, I could not find a single use in the
                  RSRD) to track the cost of each spell, and abilities to track which
                  lists to which someone has access. In the spell lst file, I can then
                  use PREABILITY to make sure that the user has access to said spell list
                  prior to allowing them to put that spell into their known spells list.

                  The only thing I am not sure about is the whole spelllevel tags since
                  the whole point of a Magic point system is that spells DON'T have levels
                  in the traditional sense. I was thinking of just putting everything
                  into level 0 and give unlimited access to level 0 IF this is even
                  required to get it to work. I guess technically, you could say that
                  the MP cost is the same as the spell level(effectively giving x spell
                  levels where x is the maximum caster level available, 20 in most
                  campaigns), but again, there is no "you can cast 2 1st level spells per
                  day" stuff to deal with.

                  I think I am going to try this tonight and see how it plays out unless
                  someone has any gotchas off the top of their head.

                  thanks,
                  Joe

                • joefrazierjr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                    > Ok, after my original post, I spent quite a bit more time looking up
                    the
                    > various tags. Now, without knowing the 3.5 rules on Psionic in
                    > intricate detail (last rules I had was for 2x), I think I will end up
                    > using the psionics rules. Since I have both and action type and a
                    > further subdivision, will use School and subschool on the spell side,
                    > PPCOST (though it is documented, I could not find a single use in the
                    > RSRD) to track the cost of each spell, and abilities to track which
                    > lists to which someone has access. In the spell lst file, I can then
                    > use PREABILITY to make sure that the user has access to said spell list
                    > prior to allowing them to put that spell into their known spells
                    list.

                    > The only thing I am not sure about is the whole spelllevel tags since
                    > the whole point of a Magic point system is that spells DON'T have
                    levels
                    > in the traditional sense. I was thinking of just putting everything
                    > into level 0 and give unlimited access to level 0 IF this is even
                    > required to get it to work. I guess technically, you could say that
                    > the MP cost is the same as the spell level(effectively giving x spell
                    > levels where x is the maximum caster level available, 20 in most
                    > campaigns), but again, there is no "you can cast 2 1st level spells per
                    > day" stuff to deal with.
                    >
                    > I think I am going to try this tonight and see how it plays out unless
                    > someone has any gotchas off the top of their head.
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > Joe

                    Ok, well, that did not work as I was expecting. I even tried copying
                    an existing psionic spell into my custom spell lst and nothing shows
                    up under the spells to choose from when I add my class level. Added the
                    1<tab>KNOWN:20
                    to the class level lines, but nothing worked. I even went so far as
                    to make a copy of one of the existing psionic classes and change the
                    name and choose that. Still no spells. Any pointers ?
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Does the class have a spell stat??

                      Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                        Andrew Maitland wrote:
                        > Does the class have a spell stat??

                        Yes

                        > Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?

                        No, but I added it real quick, and no dice...

                        Joe
                      • joefrazierjr
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Frazier, Jr."
                          <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

                          > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                          > > Does the class have a spell stat??
                          > >

                          > Yes
                          >

                          > > Does the class have a CAST tag in the level lines?
                          > >

                          > No, but I added it real quick, and no dice...
                          >
                          > Joe

                          For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                          PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                          this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?

                          Joe
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                            In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must meet one
                            of the following criteria:
                            1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                            (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)
                            2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                            (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)
                            3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                            ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)

                            You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get zip as a
                            0th level caster.

                            For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell' reference
                            the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                            matters.

                            Sorry, my brain is fried from running some intense calls today.

                            As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                            ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                              Andrew Maitland wrote:
                              > In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must meet one
                              > of the following criteria:
                              > 1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                              > (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)

                              using CLASSES:ALL=1

                              > 2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                              > (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)

                              Don't want to limit it this way, but I may try this for troubleshooting
                              reasons.
                              > 3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                              > ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)

                              ???? Not sure what this means.
                              > You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get zip as a
                              > 0th level caster.

                              1 BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|EOM Mage|CL
                              > For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell' reference
                              > the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                              > matters.

                              Again, I don't want to limit it this way unless I absolutely have to,
                              but I will try this also. However, I would hope that the ALL tag should
                              work.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                                > As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                                > ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.

                                > > For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                                > > PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                                > > this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?

                                PREPPCOST doesn't make any sense. PPCOST is the cost for casting the
                                spell, which is defined in the spell.

                                What are you trying to do?

                              • Joe Frazier, Jr.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                                  Tir Gwaith wrote:
                                  >> As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack thereof. I'd
                                  >> ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with your plans.
                                  >>

                                  >>> For that matter, since I was looking at using Psionics,I checked the
                                  >>> PRE tags real quick and did not find any documented PREPPCOST. Is
                                  >>> this a doc bug or is it just missing from the application?
                                  >>>

                                  > PREPPCOST doesn't make any sense. PPCOST is the cost for casting the
                                  > spell, which is defined in the spell.
                                  >
                                  > What are you trying to do?

                                  Honestly Tir, I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. I guess
                                  my brain is fried at this point. I know I had "something" in my mind as
                                  to why I wanted it, but right now, I just can't think of what it is.
                                  I guess that's what I get for posting after being up for 18 hours.

                                  Joe
                                • joefrazierjr
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                                    <jfrazierjr@...> wrote:

                                    > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                    > > In order for a class that uses spells to access spells it must
                                    meet one
                                    > > of the following criteria:
                                    > > 1) Have a spell that lists it as part of the class spell list
                                    > > (CLASSES:MyCasterClass=1)
                                    > >

                                    > using CLASSES:ALL=1
                                    >
                                    > > 2) It must be told to use a certain classes spell list
                                    > > (SPELLLIST:1|MyChoice|Cleric|ALL)
                                    > >
                                    > Don't want to limit it this way, but I may try this for troubleshooting
                                    > reasons.
                                    > > 3) It must build upon a casting class (PrCs do this alot using
                                    > > ADD:CASTERLEVEL|ANY)
                                    > >
                                    > ???? Not sure what this means.
                                    > > You also need to give it a CASTERLEVEL tag otherwise you'll get
                                    zip as a
                                    > > 0th level caster.
                                    > >
                                    > 1 BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|EOM Mage|CL
                                    > > For your custom spells, it might help to just make the 'Spell'
                                    reference
                                    > > the class WHICH MUST MATCH exactly. Remember the 1st lesson, spelling
                                    > > matters.
                                    > >
                                    > Again, I don't want to limit it this way unless I absolutely have to,
                                    > but I will try this also. However, I would hope that the ALL tag
                                    should
                                    > work.
                                    > > Sorry, my brain is fried from running some intense calls today.
                                    > >
                                    > > As to lack of Docs... Ugg.. ook. I wasn't aware of the lack
                                    thereof. I'd
                                    > > ask Tir about it's function, but I don't think it will help with
                                    your plans.

                                    Success!!! Stupid missing comment. My class file was missing a
                                    comment character. I entered that and it now shows!!!

                                    On with the show.