Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Specific spells per day as a casting class

  • Brandon
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      Another problem with this too, is the fact that as the 'Oddball' class gets
      higher, the abilities change from 'cast as arcane spell' to 'cast as
      spell-like ability' to 'cast as supernatural ability'

      On 10/1/07, Felonius Stark <felonius@...> wrote:

      > That's exactly the method I am trying, using the global "SPELLS:" tag,
      > but as near as I can tell it will only add that as a racial spell-like
      > ability, and not a Class ability.
      >
      > Line from Drow:
      > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing
      > Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
      >
      > Line I'm using:
      > SPELLS:Oddball|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell
      >
      > I moved the "TIMES" because it's seemed to work better there in the
      > past, and I'm specify a spellbook to add it too because it's not a
      > Racial ability, it's something specific to the class. Other than
      > that, I'm using the same basic format. SPELLS seems to insist that it
      > be added as a racial spell-like ability, though.
      >
      > -James
      >
      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, James Clement
      > <AmerginCC@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells'
      > point of
      > > view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?
      > >

      > > For example, the drow racial darkness ability
      > >

      > > _____

      Heaven won't take me,
      Hell's afraid I'll take over.

      Support my brother!
      http://www.justiceformichael.com

    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        If I remember right a spellbok name can't be the same as a class or
        race. That might be an issue.

        > That's exactly the method I am trying, using the global
        > "SPELLS:" tag, but as near as I can tell it will only add
        > that as a racial spell-like ability, and not a Class ability.
        >
        > Line from Drow:
        > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing
        > Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
        >
        > Line I'm using:
        > SPELLS:Oddball|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell
        >
        > I moved the "TIMES" because it's seemed to work better there
        > in the past, and I'm specify a spellbook to add it too
        > because it's not a Racial ability, it's something specific to
        > the class. Other than that, I'm using the same basic format.
        > SPELLS seems to insist that it be added as a racial
        > spell-like ability, though.
        >
        > -James
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, James Clement
        > <AmerginCC@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells'
        > point of
        > > view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?
        > >

        > > For example, the drow racial darkness ability
        > >

        > > _____

      • Felonius Stark
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          While that is an issue, I was most likely just going to handle that
          with text. That only determines components (somatic vs none) and how
          it interacts with Spell-Resistance and the like. I felt that it would
          be best to leave the Components line out of the spells, and allow the
          ability set of the class indicate whether it was Spell, Spell-Like, or
          Supernatural.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Changed it to:
            SPELLS:Known Spells|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spells

            This puts it into "Known Spells" instead of "Innate" (which is one
            step closer) but still leaves it as a racial spell...

            I'll play with that a little longer... Seems like it should be easier
            than this...

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
            <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

            > If I remember right a spellbok name can't be the same as a class or
            > race. That might be an issue.
            >

            > > That's exactly the method I am trying, using the global
            > > "SPELLS:" tag, but as near as I can tell it will only add
            > > that as a racial spell-like ability, and not a Class ability.
            > >
            > > Line from Drow:
            > > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing
            > > Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
            > >
            > > Line I'm using:
            > > SPELLS:Oddball|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell
            > >
            > > I moved the "TIMES" because it's seemed to work better there
            > > in the past, and I'm specify a spellbook to add it too
            > > because it's not a Racial ability, it's something specific to
            > > the class. Other than that, I'm using the same basic format.
            > > SPELLS seems to insist that it be added as a racial
            > > spell-like ability, though.
            > >
            > > -James
            > >
            > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, James Clement
            > > <AmerginCC@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells'
            > > point of
            > > > view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?
            > > >

            > > > For example, the drow racial darkness ability
            > > >

            > > > _____

          • Felonius Stark
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              In case anyone was wondering, I've come up with a compromise solution.
              The spells are grouped into "paths", each with its own name. I'm
              going to use those names as spellbook names for the SPELLS tag, and
              when output to style sheet each path then gets its own grouping. The
              "leasts" don't have a path, so they'll be all grouped together. This
              gives:

              <Name of feat for Least><tab>SPELLS:Least
              Magic|TIMES=3|CASTERLEVEL=classlevel("Oddball")|<spell name>

              Magic)|TIMES=LesserTimesPerDay|CASTERLEVEL=classlevel("Oddball")|<spell
              name>

              And so forth with the rest of them...

              This'll probably be as good a solution as anything, and I'll add the
              save info to the end of the SPELLS tag. I've already worked out the
              prereqs for the feats to get the spells in the first place, so things
              like spells per level of appropriate level and all of that are already
              taken care of.

              Thank you everyone for the help. If you have any other advice or
              ideas, let me know. I'm definitely looking for a better way to do this.

              -James

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felonius Stark"