Specific spells per day as a casting class

  • Felonius Stark
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      I'm working on a spellcaster (I'll call it "Oddball" for the sake of
      having a name I can use) who gets certain spells a certain number of
      times per day, as opposed to the traditional "CAST" and "KNOWN" tags.
      Basically, the caster would know a certain number of spells, some of
      which are available three times per day, some of which are available
      one, or possibly two or unlimited, depending on class level.

      I though of just using a KNOWN tag, but some there's a certain level
      of disparity in effective spell level. Basically, at first level you
      get 3 spells from a certain category (let's call them "Leasts", though
      that's not what they are in the source), and one from another category
      ("Lessers"), and you gain access to two other categories ("Greaters"
      and "Bests") as you go up in level. At higher levels, you eventually
      can do Leasts an unlimited number of times per day, and the others
      increase as more categories are introduced.

      Leasts include 0th and 1st level effects, Lessers range from 1st to
      3rd, Greaters from 4th to 6th, and Bests from 7th to 9th. Obviously,
      in this case, the main problem is the overlap of Leasts and Lessers in
      the 1st level category. I can't say that all first levels are 3 times
      per day, nor can I say that they're all 1 time per day, as it wouldn't
      work out for the other category.

      Here's what I've tried doing:
      Class level line:
      1<tab>ADD:ABILITY|FEAT|AUTOMATIC|Add Least

      Feat:
      Add
      to add

      The best I can do is have it add as a racial spell as opposed to a
      class spell.

      Could someone give me an idea as to where I'm going wrong? Is there an
      easier way to add to a spell list? Does "SPELLS:" not work the way I
      think it does, or the way the documentation seems to indicate that it
      works?

      Thank you.
      -James
    • James Clement
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells' point of
        view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?

        For example, the drow racial darkness ability

        _____

[...]

        ("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          That's exactly the method I am trying, using the global "SPELLS:" tag,
          but as near as I can tell it will only add that as a racial spell-like
          ability, and not a Class ability.

          Line from Drow:
          SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing
          Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10

          Line I'm using:
          SPELLS:Oddball|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell

          I moved the "TIMES" because it's seemed to work better there in the
          past, and I'm specify a spellbook to add it too because it's not a
          Racial ability, it's something specific to the class. Other than
          that, I'm using the same basic format. SPELLS seems to insist that it
          be added as a racial spell-like ability, though.

          -James

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, James Clement
          <AmerginCC@...> wrote:

          > Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells'
          point of
          > view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?
          >

          > For example, the drow racial darkness ability
          >

          > _____

        • Brandon
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Another problem with this too, is the fact that as the 'Oddball' class gets
            higher, the abilities change from 'cast as arcane spell' to 'cast as
            spell-like ability' to 'cast as supernatural ability'

            On 10/1/07, Felonius Stark <felonius@...> wrote:

            > That's exactly the method I am trying, using the global "SPELLS:" tag,
            > but as near as I can tell it will only add that as a racial spell-like
            > ability, and not a Class ability.
            >
            > Line from Drow:
            > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing
            > Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
            >
            > Line I'm using:
            > SPELLS:Oddball|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell
            >
            > I moved the "TIMES" because it's seemed to work better there in the
            > past, and I'm specify a spellbook to add it too because it's not a
            > Racial ability, it's something specific to the class. Other than
            > that, I'm using the same basic format. SPELLS seems to insist that it
            > be added as a racial spell-like ability, though.
            >
            > -James
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, James Clement
            > <AmerginCC@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells'
            > point of
            > > view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?
            > >

            > > For example, the drow racial darkness ability
            > >

            > > _____

            Heaven won't take me,
            Hell's afraid I'll take over.

            Support my brother!
            http://www.justiceformichael.com

          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              If I remember right a spellbok name can't be the same as a class or
              race. That might be an issue.

              > That's exactly the method I am trying, using the global
              > "SPELLS:" tag, but as near as I can tell it will only add
              > that as a racial spell-like ability, and not a Class ability.
              >
              > Line from Drow:
              > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing
              > Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
              >
              > Line I'm using:
              > SPELLS:Oddball|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell
              >
              > I moved the "TIMES" because it's seemed to work better there
              > in the past, and I'm specify a spellbook to add it too
              > because it's not a Racial ability, it's something specific to
              > the class. Other than that, I'm using the same basic format.
              > SPELLS seems to insist that it be added as a racial
              > spell-like ability, though.
              >
              > -James
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, James Clement
              > <AmerginCC@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells'
              > point of
              > > view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?
              > >

              > > For example, the drow racial darkness ability
              > >

              > > _____

            • Felonius Stark
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                While that is an issue, I was most likely just going to handle that
                with text. That only determines components (somatic vs none) and how
                it interacts with Spell-Resistance and the like. I felt that it would
                be best to leave the Components line out of the spells, and allow the
                ability set of the class indicate whether it was Spell, Spell-Like, or
                Supernatural.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Changed it to:
                  SPELLS:Known Spells|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spells

                  This puts it into "Known Spells" instead of "Innate" (which is one
                  step closer) but still leaves it as a racial spell...

                  I'll play with that a little longer... Seems like it should be easier
                  than this...

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
                  <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

                  > If I remember right a spellbok name can't be the same as a class or
                  > race. That might be an issue.
                  >

                  > > That's exactly the method I am trying, using the global
                  > > "SPELLS:" tag, but as near as I can tell it will only add
                  > > that as a racial spell-like ability, and not a Class ability.
                  > >
                  > > Line from Drow:
                  > > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing
                  > > Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
                  > >
                  > > Line I'm using:
                  > > SPELLS:Oddball|CASTERLEVEL=cl("Oddball")|TIMES=3|Spell
                  > >
                  > > I moved the "TIMES" because it's seemed to work better there
                  > > in the past, and I'm specify a spellbook to add it too
                  > > because it's not a Racial ability, it's something specific to
                  > > the class. Other than that, I'm using the same basic format.
                  > > SPELLS seems to insist that it be added as a racial
                  > > spell-like ability, though.
                  > >
                  > > -James
                  > >
                  > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, James Clement
                  > > <AmerginCC@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Have you considered instead of looking at things from a 'spells'
                  > > point of
                  > > > view, trying it as if they are actually 'spell-like abilities'?
                  > > >

                  > > > For example, the drow racial darkness ability
                  > > >

                  > > > _____

                • Felonius Stark
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                    In case anyone was wondering, I've come up with a compromise solution.
                    The spells are grouped into "paths", each with its own name. I'm
                    going to use those names as spellbook names for the SPELLS tag, and
                    when output to style sheet each path then gets its own grouping. The
                    "leasts" don't have a path, so they'll be all grouped together. This
                    gives:

                    <Name of feat for Least><tab>SPELLS:Least
                    Magic|TIMES=3|CASTERLEVEL=classlevel("Oddball")|<spell name>

                    Magic)|TIMES=LesserTimesPerDay|CASTERLEVEL=classlevel("Oddball")|<spell
                    name>

                    And so forth with the rest of them...

                    This'll probably be as good a solution as anything, and I'll add the
                    save info to the end of the SPELLS tag. I've already worked out the
                    prereqs for the feats to get the spells in the first place, so things
                    like spells per level of appropriate level and all of that are already
                    taken care of.

                    Thank you everyone for the help. If you have any other advice or
                    ideas, let me know. I'm definitely looking for a better way to do this.

                    -James

                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felonius Stark"