Fwd: [pcgen] Help With New Item

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2007
      Forwarding from main group.

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Brian J. Ackermann
      Date: Sep 27, 2007 11:29 AM
      Subject: [pcgen] Help With New Item
      To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com

      Hi all,

      I have been interested in pcgen for a long time, and have recently begun
      playing in a new d&d campaign, for which I installed the latest pcgen.
      All is well.

      Last night, however, I was pleased to be the recipient of a handy new
      magical item. I would like to create this item for inclusion on my char
      sheet, but I don't really know where to begin. Can anyone mentor me
      with this? I'm available by IM as well as posts & email.

      Here's the basic rundown of the item.

      Healing Net

      It adds +1 competancy bonus (Caster Level) to any of your healing
      spells, plus as you are a cleric you can use the net at it's current CL
      of 7 and add +1. So in your hands it would always be a 8th lvl CL item,
      and it always makes your healing spells one caster level higher.

      In addition...

      Heal 3/day
      Remove Disease 1/day
      Remove Blindness/Deafness 1/day
      Remove Poison 1/day
      Slow Poison 5/day
      Raise Dead 1/month

      Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to learning how to do this.

      Brian
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2007
        > Last night, however, I was pleased to be the recipient of a handy new
        > magical item. I would like to create this item for inclusion on my char
        > sheet, but I don't really know where to begin. Can anyone mentor me
        > with this? I'm available by IM as well as posts & email.
        >
        > Here's the basic rundown of the item.

        Ok, grab the basic item stuff (TYPE:Magic.Wondrous or whatever, the
        COST, etc.) and put that in. LOTs of examples in the RSRD.

        > Healing Net
        >
        > It adds +1 competancy bonus (Caster Level) to any of your healing
        > spells, plus as you are a cleric you can use the net at it's current CL
        > of 7 and add +1. So in your hands it would always be a 8th lvl CL item,
        > and it always makes your healing spells one caster level higher.

        Ok, breaking that into two parts:

        BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SUBSCHOOL.Healing|1

        That part is good. :)

        For the minimum CL for the item, that only matters for spells in the
        next part, so we'll need this formula (and you'll see where this goes
        later). 7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)

        > In addition...
        >
        > Heal 3/day
        > Remove Disease 1/day
        > Remove Blindness/Deafness 1/day
        > Remove Poison 1/day
        > Slow Poison 5/day
        > Raise Dead 1/month

        This would be _very_ easy except for the Raise Dead. We don't have a
        way to easily list Times other than /day. (Spec'd out, just not
        implemented.)

        So, for Raise Dead, the best we can do is SPROP:Raise Dead 1/month
        stinks, but that's really all we can do. For the rest, we can use SPELLS tag.

        SPELLS:Healing Net|CASTERLEVEL=7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)|TIMES=3|Heal,20
        SPELLS:Healing Net|CASTERLEVEL=7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)|TIMES=1|Remove
        Disease|Remove Blindness/Deafness|Remove Poison
        SPELLS:Healing Net|CASTERLEVEL=7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)|TIMES=5|Slow Poison

        You can add the DCs to the spells other than Heal, but since they
        aren't really used offensively, it wasn't worth my time to remember or
        look up the different spell levels for those. :p I put the DC for
        Heal @ 10+7 (Spell level) + 3 (minimum stat bonus for someone able to
        cast the spell). Your DM's Milage May Vary. :)

        That should do it. :)

      • Brian J. Ackermann
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
          <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

          > Ok, grab the basic item stuff (TYPE:Magic.Wondrous or whatever, the
          > COST, etc.) and put that in. LOTs of examples in the RSRD.
          >
          > > Healing Net
          > >
          > > It adds +1 competancy bonus (Caster Level) to any of your healing
          > > spells, plus as you are a cleric you can use the net at it's
          current CL
          > > of 7 and add +1. So in your hands it would always be a 8th lvl CL
          item,
          > > and it always makes your healing spells one caster level higher.
          >
          > Ok, breaking that into two parts:
          >
          > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|SUBSCHOOL.Healing|1
          >
          > That part is good. :)
          >
          > For the minimum CL for the item, that only matters for spells in the
          > next part, so we'll need this formula (and you'll see where this goes
          > later). 7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)
          >
          > > In addition...
          > >
          > > Heal 3/day
          > > Remove Disease 1/day
          > > Remove Blindness/Deafness 1/day
          > > Remove Poison 1/day
          > > Slow Poison 5/day
          > > Raise Dead 1/month
          >
          > This would be _very_ easy except for the Raise Dead. We don't have a
          > way to easily list Times other than /day. (Spec'd out, just not
          > implemented.)
          >
          > So, for Raise Dead, the best we can do is SPROP:Raise Dead 1/month
          > stinks, but that's really all we can do. For the rest, we can use
          SPELLS tag.

          > SPELLS:Healing Net|CASTERLEVEL=7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)|TIMES=3|Heal,20
          > SPELLS:Healing Net|CASTERLEVEL=7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)|TIMES=1|Remove
          > Disease|Remove Blindness/Deafness|Remove Poison
          > SPELLS:Healing Net|CASTERLEVEL=7+(var("CL=Cleric")>=1)|TIMES=5|Slow
          Poison

          > You can add the DCs to the spells other than Heal, but since they
          > aren't really used offensively, it wasn't worth my time to remember or
          > look up the different spell levels for those. :p I put the DC for
          > Heal @ 10+7 (Spell level) + 3 (minimum stat bonus for someone able to
          > cast the spell). Your DM's Milage May Vary. :)
          >

          > That should do it. :)
          >
          > --
          > Tir Gwaith
          > PCGen LST Chimp

          Well, I finally got around to doing this, and its going better than I
          might have thought it might, what with adding a new PCC file for the
          campaign, and adding this item to its equipment list. At first, I
          thought it wasn't working, and then I decided to try 'Equipping' the
          item, instead of merely carrying it, and 'Voila!' it works....

          Sort of.

          Actually, its perfect, but that it appears that the 'Slow Poison' and
          'Remove Poison' aren't listed. There must be something wrong with it,
          but I could'nt say what.

          I'm going to fool with it a bit and see if I can make a lucky guess.
          If anyone has an idea to guide & direct me, I'd be quite overjoyed.

          Thanks so much!

          brian
        • Brian J. Ackermann
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
            Ahh...

            The problem seems to be that there IS no Remove Poison or Slow Poison
            spell...at least not for DIVINE magic, hrm...nope, not for ARCANE
            magic either.

            Hrm...

            Well, for now, I think I'll just SPROP those two as well. Need to
            figure out whats going on with these abilities

            :)

            Thanks for listening

            Brian
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
              TRY
              Delay Poison
              &
              Neutralize Poison

              Brian J. Ackermann wrote:
              > Ahh...
              >
              > The problem seems to be that there IS no Remove Poison or Slow Poison
              > spell...at least not for DIVINE magic, hrm...nope, not for ARCANE
              > magic either.
              >
              > Hrm...
              >
              > Well, for now, I think I'll just SPROP those two as well. Need to
              > figure out whats going on with these abilities
              >
              > :)
              >
              > Thanks for listening
              >
              > Brian

              -- Andrew Maitland
              Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
              "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
            • Brian Ackermann
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
                Yep...I was just coming back to report that very thing

                Its all working peachy now...

                Thanks all!

                Brian

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
                  On 10/2/07, Brian Ackermann <brianjackermann@...> wrote:
                  > Yep...I was just coming back to report that very thing
                  >
                  > Its all working peachy now...
                  >
                  > Thanks all!

                  Very Welcome!