Re: Question on PREFEAT Swap

  • monch9ph
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6 2:53 AM
      Hi Andrew,

      Thanks for the options. Though this still means that I need to have
      advance knowledge on the feat that would be a prereq of. Also, for
      feats that have 2 or more other requirements, won't QUALIFY override
      this. (ie. Spring Attack). I was hoping for a TAG that replaces or
      can be used to satisfy a requirement.

      Monch

      <drew0500@...> wrote:

      > Ah, perhaps this might help, though it STILL requires editing the
      feat
      > via .MOD:
      >
      > From the docs:
      >
      > *** Updated 5.11.7
      >
      > *Tag Name:* QUALIFY:x|y|y
      >
      > *Variables Used (x):* Text (Object TYPE), Valid types are:
      >
      > * CLASS
      > * DEITY
      > * DOMAIN
      > * EQUIPMENT
      > * EQMOD
      > * FEAT
      > * RACE
      > * SPELL
      > * SKILL
      > * TEMPLATE
      > * WEAPONPROF
      >
      > *Variables Used (y):* Text (Object KEY)
      >
      > *What it does:*
      >
      > Counters PRExxx tags. Any objects listed will ignore all PRE tags
      and be
      > a valid selection for the character.
      >
      > *Where it is used:*
      >
      > Valid in most objects except .pcc files and class level lines.
      >
      > *Example:*
      >
      > |QUALIFY:FEAT|Mounted Combat|Ride-By Attack|
      >
      > The character would be able to take the above feats whether they
      meet
      > the prereqs or not.
      >
      > |QUALIFY:CLASS|Monk|
      >
      > The character would be able to take the Monk class whether they
      meet the
      > prereqs or not.
      >
      > |QUALIFY:CLASS|Battle Mind|Telepath|
      >
      > The character would be able to take either the Battle Mind or
      Telepath
      > class whether they meet the prereqs or not.
      >
      > /_*AND THIS:*_/
      >
      > *Tag Name:* PRExxx:Q:data
      >
      > *Variables Used:* Q
      >
      > *What it does:*
      >
      > This is a variation on any PRE tag listed above. Adding a Q:
      between the
      > tag and it's data will cause it to take precedence over the
      QUALIFY tag.
      > Thus allowing QUALIFY to null out some but not all prereqs.
      >
      > *Example:*
      >
      > |QUALIFY:Whirlwind Attack| (In Template)
      >
      > |PRESTAT:Q:1,DEX=13| (In Whirlwind Attack Feat)
      >
      > If you have QUALIFY:Whirlwind Attack in a template (which means the
      > character ignores all the prereqs), but you still want the DEX
      prereq to
      > be enforced, you would edit the PRE in the Whirlwind Attack feat
      to read
      > as above.
      >
      > --
      > Hope that helps.
      >
      > -Andrew
      > Tracker & Data Tamarin, Docs Lemur
      >
      > monch9ph wrote:
      > > Oh, I meant to say how should I code this in my list file
      without
      > > modding other feats (ie. Mobility <Tab> PREFEAT:1,(Dodge, Foo
      Dodge)

      > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "monch9ph" <mon.yao@>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hi,
      > >>
      > >> When a source states that :
      > >>
      > >> Special: Foo Dodge can be used in place of the Dodge
      > >> feat to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other special
      ability.

      > >> How should I code this in my list file for the feat?
      > >>
      > >> Monch

    • monch9ph
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6 2:56 AM
        Hi Tir,

        Unfortunately, it doesn't grant the same benefits. It also allows
        you to have both feats (ie, Dodge, Foo Dodge) on a character. It
        doesn't replace the feat dodge, but allows prereqs to be satisfied
        as if it had Dodge.

        Monch

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6 3:19 AM
          Well, the _old_ qualifiy tag would work. But it broke, and what has
          replaced by a method that does something different (Broader
          brush-stroke).

          The method I would use would be to change this currently is change all
          your PREFEAT tags with Dodge to TYPE.Dodge, then add TYPE:Dodge to
          your Foo Dodge and .MOD the Dodge feat for the same TYPE.

          That is the easiest (and one of only a few methods without
          side-effects), since Search/Replace will quickly do it. Looking at a
          search/replace report will even tell you what you need to .MOD if you
          want to make it portable with normal PCGen releases.

        • Frank Kliewe
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6 7:41 AM
            On 8/6/07, monch9ph <mon.yao@...> wrote:

            > Oh, I meant to say how should I code this in my list file without
            > modding other feats (ie. Mobility <Tab> PREFEAT:1,(Dodge, Foo Dodge)
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "monch9ph" <mon.yao@...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > When a source states that :
            > >
            > > Special: Foo Dodge can be used in place of the Dodge
            > > feat to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other special ability.
            > >
            > > How should I code this in my list file for the feat?
            > >
            > > Monch

            We have a Feature Request to implement this functionality: [ 1377067 ] QUALIFY
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1377067&group_id=25576&atid=384722
            But that is currently scheduled for 6.0, so it's still a bit away.

            If you really don't want to mod other feats at this time, I'm afraid
            the only suggestion I can make is to change the FEATPRE setting each
            time you want to take a feat that has a prerequisite that you want to
            override. That will allow you to take the feat, regardless of which
            prerequisites it has. Remember to switch that setting back on
            afterwards, so you will benefit from the prerequisite validation
            again.

            Personally I would prefer the method with the TYPE:Dodge that Tir has
            suggested in the previous post.

            Cheerio,

            Frank Kliewe
            PCGen Content Silverback

            --
            He's not your friend, he's ours! If somebody's gonna kill him, it should be us!
            (Kaneda in "Akira", 1988)