Where is this class level in the character's progression?

  • Ian Copp
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2007
      Another question for you friendly code monkeys out there- is there any
      way to tell if a given class level is the first one the character has
      taken? This affects a homebrew dependent-on-feats skill system, because
      you only get all the initial free feats for it from your very first
      class level...
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2007
        Main page shows the EXACT order of classes taken and total level of each
        in the brackets.
        1-Wizard
        2-Cleric
        3-Cleric (2)
        4-Wizard (2)

        I think if you look/edit the actual pcg you can see the order of feats
        taken, but I'm not certain about that.

        -Andrew

        Ian Copp wrote:
        > Another question for you friendly code monkeys out there- is there any
        > way to tell if a given class level is the first one the character has
        > taken? This affects a homebrew dependent-on-feats skill system, because
        > you only get all the initial free feats for it from your very first
        > class level...
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ian Copp
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2007
          Andrew Maitland wrote:
          > Main page shows the EXACT order of classes taken and total level of each
          > in the brackets.
          > 1-Wizard
          > 2-Cleric
          > 3-Cleric (2)
          > 4-Wizard (2)
          >
          > I think if you look/edit the actual pcg you can see the order of feats
          > taken, but I'm not certain about that.
          >
          > -Andrew

          Okay... I'm looking for a way to get at this info from inside lst files,
          though. ;)
        • mythanthornwn
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
            I am not sure on which tags to use but I would check to see if both class
            level and character are 1.

            On 7/3/07, Ian Copp <sukael@...> wrote:

            > Andrew Maitland wrote:
            > > Main page shows the EXACT order of classes taken and total level of each
            > > in the brackets.
            > > 1-Wizard
            > > 2-Cleric
            > > 3-Cleric (2)
            > > 4-Wizard (2)
            > >
            > > I think if you look/edit the actual pcg you can see the order of feats
            > > taken, but I'm not certain about that.
            > >
            > > -Andrew
            >
            > Okay... I'm looking for a way to get at this info from inside lst files,
            > though. ;)

          • Ian Copp
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
              mythanthornwn wrote:

              > I am not sure on which tags to use but I would check to see if both class
              > level and character are 1.

              Let me try again on explaining it... ;)

              The character's very first class level grants a bunch of bonus feats.

              However, multiclassing into any other class doesn't grant all these
              feats- instead, it just gives you a choice of one of them.

              I'm looking for a way to check if a given class level is 1st in the
              character's progression- so each class knows whether to give a bunch of
              feats or just one- no matter what the character's full level is.
            • Harry Johnson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
                Can't you just check if TL = 1?

                -Harry

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Each class on level 1 with ADD:FEAT|1|<My Class> is first level

                  For the rest, just check which '<My Class> is first level' feat the
                  character has.

                  Cheerio!

                • Paul Grosse
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007

                    > Each class on level 1 with ADD:FEAT|1|<My Class> is first level
                    >
                    > For the rest, just check which '<My Class> is first level'
                    > feat the character has.
                    >
                    > Cheerio!
                    >
                    > --
                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > PCGen LST Chimp

                    I think he want's it cleaner than that Tir. If Char x becomes class y
                    beginning with first level it gets feats A, B, C & D. But if it
                    multi-classes into that class it only gets a selection of A, B, C & D. I
                    can't think of a clean way off the top of my head.

                    Paul G.
                  • Harry Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
                      Why not create a hidden feat that grants A, B, C and D but has a:

                      PREVAREQ:TL,1

                      Then have each class grant the hidden feat with ADD:FEAT?

                      Disclaimer: I am still using 5.8.x and am still a relative newbie when it
                      comes to lst file editing.

                      -Harry

                      On 7/3/07, Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

                      > > Each class on level 1 with ADD:FEAT|1|<My Class> is first level
                      > >
                      > > For the rest, just check which '<My Class> is first level'
                      > > feat the character has.
                      > >
                      > > Cheerio!
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Tir Gwaith
                      > > PCGen LST Chimp
                      > >

                      > I think he want's it cleaner than that Tir. If Char x becomes class y
                      > beginning with first level it gets feats A, B, C & D. But if it
                      > multi-classes into that class it only gets a selection of A, B, C & D. I
                      > can't think of a clean way off the top of my head.
                      >
                      > Paul G.

                    • Ian Copp
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
                        Paul Grosse wrote:

                        > > Each class on level 1 with ADD:FEAT|1|<My Class> is first level
                        > >
                        > > For the rest, just check which '<My Class> is first level'
                        > > feat the character has.
                        > >
                        > > Cheerio!
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Tir Gwaith
                        > > PCGen LST Chimp
                        > >

                        > I think he want's it cleaner than that Tir. If Char x becomes class y
                        > beginning with first level it gets feats A, B, C & D. But if it
                        > multi-classes into that class it only gets a selection of A, B, C & D. I
                        > can't think of a clean way off the top of my head.
                        >
                        > Paul G.

                        Paul's right- though I can see what Tir is saying*, and that will give
                        me an interim stopgap at least.

                        * Make a bunch of virtual feats; each 1st level in a base class gives
                        one, so long as you don't have any of the others. Then use which of
                        these the character has to determine at 1st level in any given class if
                        the character gets a bunch of feats for free, or just gets to pick 1 of
                        them.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
                          > Paul's right- though I can see what Tir is saying*, and that will give
                          > me an interim stopgap at least.

                          It is the only way you can do it, with today's code. If there was an
                          easier way, I would have described it. :P

                          > * Make a bunch of virtual feats; each 1st level in a base class gives
                          > one, so long as you don't have any of the others. Then use which of
                          > these the character has to determine at 1st level in any given class if
                          > the character gets a bunch of feats for free, or just gets to pick 1 of
                          > them.

                          Yep.

                        • Tom Parker
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
                            <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

                            > > Paul's right- though I can see what Tir is saying*, and that will give
                            > > me an interim stopgap at least.
                            >
                            > It is the only way you can do it, with today's code. If there was an
                            > easier way, I would have described it. :P

                            What about:

                            ADD:FEAT|if(TL=1,4,1)|A,B,C,D

                            on the first classlevel line?
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
                              > What about:
                              >
                              > ADD:FEAT|if(TL=1,4,1)|A,B,C,D
                              >
                              > on the first classlevel line?

                              Re-read his question. Yeah, that would work. That's simpler than
                              other mechanics that are similar (I got hooked on the Spycraft v.1
                              stuff).