Checking for proficiency in a wielded weapon

  • Ian Copp
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hiya, guys. I'm putting together a personal dataset with a somewhat
      different take on two-weapon fighting than usual, and I'm wondering if
      there's any way to check if the PC is proficient in a particular weapon
      being used.

      Foo I PRESTAT:1,DEX=13 PREATT:1
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|5 BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|5
      Foo II PRESTAT:1,DEX=15 PREATT:6 PREFEAT:1,Foo
      I BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|3
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|3
      Foo III PRESTAT:1,DEX=17 PREATT:11 PREFEAT:1,Foo I
      PREFEAT:1,Foo II BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|2
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|2

      The GameMode files for this already have a -10 penalty for all TWF
      attempts - so the bonuses here counteract that piece-by-piece, first
      dropping it to -5, then -2, then 0.

      With these bonuses, though, is there any PRE tag or combination of them
      that can be used to check if the PC is actually proficient in the weapon
      in that hand? Basically, I only want to reduce the penalty for weapons
      the PC actually knows how to use.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
        On 7/2/07, Ian Copp <sukael@...> wrote:
        > Hiya, guys. I'm putting together a personal dataset with a somewhat
        > different take on two-weapon fighting than usual, and I'm wondering if
        > there's any way to check if the PC is proficient in a particular weapon
        > being used.
        >
        > Foo I PRESTAT:1,DEX=13 PREATT:1
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|5 BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|5
        > Foo II PRESTAT:1,DEX=15 PREATT:6 PREFEAT:1,Foo
        > I BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|3
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|3
        > Foo III PRESTAT:1,DEX=17 PREATT:11 PREFEAT:1,Foo I
        > PREFEAT:1,Foo II BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|2
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|2
        >
        > The GameMode files for this already have a -10 penalty for all TWF
        > attempts - so the bonuses here counteract that piece-by-piece, first
        > dropping it to -5, then -2, then 0.
        >
        > With these bonuses, though, is there any PRE tag or combination of them
        > that can be used to check if the PC is actually proficient in the weapon
        > in that hand? Basically, I only want to reduce the penalty for weapons
        > the PC actually knows how to use.

        You can, but it is messy.

        PREMULT:2,[PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Simple],[PREFEAT:1,Simple Weapon Proficiency]

        It becomes this:PREMULT:1,<series of PREMULTs embedded with [ ]>

        For example
        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|5|PREMULT:xxx, see below

        PREMULT:1,
        -- [PREMULT:2,[PREEQUIPSECONDARY:1,TYPE=Simple],[PREFEAT:1,Simple
        Weapon Proficiency]],
        -- [PREMULT:2,[PREEQUIPSECONDARY:1,Longsword],[PREWEAPONPROF:1,Longsword]],

        etc. Yeah, that gets really cumbersome and _really long.