Substitution Level Help . . .

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hi Folks!

      I'm trying to implement a substitution level and I'm running into a
      problem.

      I'm implementing a 'Knoby Tosser', that being a pc of race 'Knoby' of
      the class 'Tosser'.

      My LST shows the following:

      CLASS:Tosser.MOD HASSUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:YES
      SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Knoby Tosser PRERACE:Knoby%
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <stuff implementing 'Really Cool Tosser Feat'>
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <more 'Really Cool Tosser Feat' stuff>
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <even more 'Really Cool Tosser Feat' stuff>
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <standard Tosser stuff that needs to be re-included>
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <more standard Tosser stuff that needs to be re-
      included>
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <1st level Knoby Tosser Class Features>
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:5 <5th level Knoby Tosser Class Features>
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:13 <13th level Knoby Tosser Class Features>
      1
      2
      3
      4
      .
      .
      18
      19
      20

      Everything seems to load (except for the colsole dump below) but when
      I create a Knobly Tosser I don't get a dialog to choose a
      substitution level . . .

      This is what shows up in the console . . .

      'Expected a level value, but got 'SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Knoby Tosser'
      instead in file:/Applications/PCGen/PCGen_5.10.2.app/Contents/
      Resources/Java/data/my_dataset/BR_classes.lst
      java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string:
      "SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Knoby Tosser
      at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString
      (NumberFormatException.java:48)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseClassLine
      (PCClassLoader.java:154)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseLine(PCClassLoader.java:
      101)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.performMod
      (LstObjectFileLoader.java:549)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.processMods
      (LstObjectFileLoader.java:626)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles
      (LstObjectFileLoader.java:120)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns
      (LstSystemLoader.java:440)
      at pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns
      (PersistenceManager.java:166)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:1048)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.access$2000(MainSource.java:118)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource$18.construct(MainSource.java:1076)
      at pcgen.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:113)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)"

      I am running Mac OSX 10.4.9 and Java 1.5.0_06
      I have the memory boosted to 512/1024
      and am running CMP's Core Set plus my homebrew files . . .

      Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    • Tom Parker
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
        wrote:
        > Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

        Using 5.10 when Substitution Levels were implemented in 5.11 would be
        my first guess. ;)
      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
          Doh!!!

          :-)

          On Jul 2, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Tom Parker wrote:

          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
          >
          > Using 5.10 when Substitution Levels were implemented in 5.11 would be
          > my first guess. ;)

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
            On Jul 2, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Tom Parker wrote:

            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
            > wrote:
            > > Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
            >
            > Using 5.10 when Substitution Levels were implemented in 5.11 would be
            > my first guess. ;)

            Oh, Thanks Tom! :-)
          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
              Ok, lets try this again . . .

              I am using PCGen 5.12.0 RC4
              I am running Mac OSX 10.4.9 and Java 1.5.0_06
              and am running the RSRD . . .

              I have implemented substitution levels for the Knoby Tosser

              My LST looks like this:

              CLASS:Tosser.MOD HASSUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:YES
              SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Knoby Tosser PRERACE:Knoby%
              SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <stuff implementing 'Really Cool Tosser Feat'>
              SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <standard Tosser stuff that needs to be re-included>
              SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <more standard Tosser stuff . . .>
              SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <1st level Knoby Tosser Class Features>
              SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:5 <5th level Knoby Tosser Class Features>
              SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:13 <13th level Knoby Tosser Class Features>

              This is what the console dumps out . . .

              Exception loading files.
              java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
              at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1768)
              at pcgen.core.SubstitutionClass.addToLevelArray
              (SubstitutionClass.java:65)
              at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseLine(PCClassLoader.java:
              155)
              at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseLine(PCClassLoader.java:44)
              at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.performMod
              (LstObjectFileLoader.java:598)
              at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.processMods
              (LstObjectFileLoader.java:684)
              at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles
              (LstObjectFileLoader.java:125)
              at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns
              (LstSystemLoader.java:482)
              at pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns
              (PersistenceManager.java:167)
              at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:1047)
              at pcgen.gui.MainSource.access$1800(MainSource.java:120)
              at pcgen.gui.MainSource$18.construct(MainSource.java:1067)
              at pcgen.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:144)
              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

              Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

              Maredudd
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
                > CLASS:Tosser.MOD HASSUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:YES
                > SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Knoby Tosser PRERACE:Knoby%

                PRERACE:1,Knoby%

                See if that fixes it. :)

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
                  He shoots! He scores!!!!!

                  Thanks Tir.

                  The little Knoby's a Tosser now! :-)

                  Maredudd

                  On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:17 PM, Tir Gwaith wrote:

                  > > CLASS:Tosser.MOD HASSUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:YES
                  > > SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Knoby Tosser PRERACE:Knoby%
                  >
                  > PRERACE:1,Knoby%
                  >
                  > See if that fixes it. :)
                  >
                  > --
                  > Tir Gwaith
                  > PCGen LST Chimp

                • David M. Bebber
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
                    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:17:54 -0500, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...>
                    wrote:

                    >> CLASS:Tosser.MOD HASSUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:YES
                    >> SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Knoby Tosser PRERACE:Knoby%
                    >
                    > PRERACE:1,Knoby%
                    >
                    > See if that fixes it. :)

                    can you use other PREXXX syntax if you are building a non-racial
                    Substitution Level?

                  • Tom Parker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
                      Wow. If that difference causes a stack trace, then someone please
                      code tracker that for 5.14. That should be a friendly error message,
                      not a hairball.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
                        [ 1746873 ] Substitution Level Help . . .Stack Trace Error

                        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1746873&group_id=25576&atid=384719

                        Tom Parker wrote:
                        > Wow. If that difference causes a stack trace, then someone please
                        > code tracker that for 5.14. That should be a friendly error message,
                        > not a hairball.
                        >
                        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >> He shoots! He scores!!!!!
                        >>
                        >> Thanks Tir.
                        >>
                        >> The little Knoby's a Tosser now! :-)
                        >>
                        >> Maredudd

                        >>> PRERACE:1,Knoby%
                        >>>
                        >>> See if that fixes it. :)
                        >>>
                        >>> --
                        >>> Tir Gwaith
                        >>> PCGen LST Chimp

                      • Eric C Smith
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
                          Oops!

                          I guess I should have provided more info . . .

                          I did put in the fix that Tir suggested, but there was some LST done
                          a bt further down that I commented out at the same time . . . The
                          substitution level worked, but it was the commented out LST code. (an
                          couple of incomplete substitution level entries . . .)

                          I then went back, after my woohoo post, and made the PRERACE:Knoby
                          entry, and it still worked . . . indicating that my problem was in
                          the unfinished substitution level entries . . .

                          Maredudd

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
                            Let me guess:

                            SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:

                            ?

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
                              Yep! Thats it exactly . . . :-)

                              They're working now . . .

                              Maredudd

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
                                Added comment in the tracker.

                                It would be nice if these things failed nicer, and told one which line
                                and file name the failure was on.