Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] CHOOSE based on PRExxx???

  • Frank Kliewe
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2007
      On 5/4/07, Barak <barak@...> wrote:
      > Here's a snippet from a class ability I'm trying to code up:
      >
      > "you gain Precise Shot as a
      > bonus feat. If you already have Precise Shot, you can select
      > any other feat that has Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite,
      > as long as you meet the prerequisite for the chosen feat"
      >
      > Any ideas on how to make that one work? The first part is easy, it's the
      > "any feat that has PBS as a PRExxx" that I'm drawing a complete blank on
      > other than looking through my datafiles and manually adding all the possible
      > feats (which I don't want to do since the list could possibly change with
      > every new source added).
      >
      > Any suggestions welcome!
      >
      > Barak

      I'm afraid the only thing that comes to my mind right now is adding a
      type to each feat that has the prerequisite, and then choose or add
      based on that type. But that means you'll have to remember to put that
      type into future files as well.

      Cheerio,

      Frank Kliewe
      PCGen Content Silverback

      --
      I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.
      (Martin Riggs in "Lethal Weapon", 1986)
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2007
        > I'm afraid the only thing that comes to my mind right now is adding a
        > type to each feat that has the prerequisite, and then choose or add
        > based on that type. But that means you'll have to remember to put that
        > type into future files as well.

        And if any PRExxx change to the feat will need to change the TYPE.
        Recognize that it is a very inelegant hack (but it will work).

        CHOOSE:FEAT= is really (semantically) CHOOSE:WEAPONPROF(from feat
        choice)= right?

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2007

          It's more generic than that I think... meaning it's not limited to weapon
          feats (not sure if that's what you meant or if that's just the example you
          pulled).

          IIRC, it basically gathers up the choice/target from the selected feat and
          presents it in a chooser.

          Barak

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          PM
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2007
            > It's more generic than that I think... meaning it's not limited to weapon
            > feats (not sure if that's what you meant or if that's just the example you
            > pulled).
            >
            > IIRC, it basically gathers up the choice/target from the selected feat and
            > presents it in a chooser.

            Still doesn't help with this one. Close, but no bananas.

          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2007
              <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

              > > It's more generic than that I think... meaning it's not limited to
              weapon
              > > feats (not sure if that's what you meant or if that's just the
              example you
              > > pulled).
              > >
              > > IIRC, it basically gathers up the choice/target from the selected
              feat and
              > > presents it in a chooser.
              >
              > Still doesn't help with this one. Close, but no bananas.

              I don't believe there is anything in the code today that can extract
              information from the Prereqs to form a list... so today, I think
              you're stuck with an inelegant hack.

              In fact, this isn't even something I'd considered for 6.0, so can
              someone please FREQ this? I will try to think whether I can do this
              easily with the current architecture proposal, or what we would need
              to do to update it to get to that point.

              Thanks.
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                Flagging for TM. I don't know where this goes.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                  [ 1712801 ] Re: CHOOSE based on PRExxx???

                  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1712801&group_id=25576&atid=384722
                  Tir Gwaith wrote:
                  > Flagging for TM. I don't know where this goes.
                  >
                  > On 5/4/07, Tom Parker <thpr@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith"

                  >> weapon

                  >> example you

                  >> feat and

                  >>> Still doesn't help with this one. Close, but no bananas.
                  >>>

                  >> I don't believe there is anything in the code today that can extract
                  >> information from the Prereqs to form a list... so today, I think
                  >> you're stuck with an inelegant hack.
                  >>
                  >> In fact, this isn't even something I'd considered for 6.0, so can
                  >> someone please FREQ this? I will try to think whether I can do this
                  >> easily with the current architecture proposal, or what we would need
                  >> to do to update it to get to that point.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks.
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jeremy Turnley
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                    Thanks, there are a few classes in CC books that this would be useful
                    for, this has been a long time coming.
                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                      Here's another one for you to chew on Tom:

                      This is in at least two CC books that I know of... (quoted verbatim here):

                      "+1 level of existing class features -- you gain class
                      features (including spellcasting ability) and an increase in
                      effective level as if you had also gained a level in a class to
                      which you belonged before adding the prestige class level.
                      You do not, however, gain the benefit of your previous
                      class’s Hit Dice, attack progression, skill points, or saving
                      throws".

                      I think this has come up before but I don't think it got trackered.
                      Basically we need a tag (or maybe expand ADD with ADD:CLASSLEVEL) that would
                      apply any benefits gained on class level lines (and increment that classes
                      CL), but not those things usually in the header area (no BAB, Saves, Skill
                      Points, etc).

                      Barak

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                        [ 1713215 ] +1 level of existing class features

                        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1713215&group_id=25576&atid=384722