CHOOSE based on PRExxx???

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2007
      Here's a snippet from a class ability I'm trying to code up:

      "you gain Precise Shot as a
      bonus feat. If you already have Precise Shot, you can select
      any other feat that has Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite,
      as long as you meet the prerequisite for the chosen feat"

      Any ideas on how to make that one work? The first part is easy, it's the
      "any feat that has PBS as a PRExxx" that I'm drawing a complete blank on
      other than looking through my datafiles and manually adding all the possible
      feats (which I don’t want to do since the list could possibly change with
      every new source added).

      Any suggestions welcome!

      Barak

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      PM
    • Frank Kliewe
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2007
        On 5/4/07, Barak <barak@...> wrote:
        > Here's a snippet from a class ability I'm trying to code up:
        >
        > "you gain Precise Shot as a
        > bonus feat. If you already have Precise Shot, you can select
        > any other feat that has Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite,
        > as long as you meet the prerequisite for the chosen feat"
        >
        > Any ideas on how to make that one work? The first part is easy, it's the
        > "any feat that has PBS as a PRExxx" that I'm drawing a complete blank on
        > other than looking through my datafiles and manually adding all the possible
        > feats (which I don't want to do since the list could possibly change with
        > every new source added).
        >
        > Any suggestions welcome!
        >
        > Barak

        I'm afraid the only thing that comes to my mind right now is adding a
        type to each feat that has the prerequisite, and then choose or add
        based on that type. But that means you'll have to remember to put that
        type into future files as well.

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Content Silverback

        --
        I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.
        (Martin Riggs in "Lethal Weapon", 1986)
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2007
          > I'm afraid the only thing that comes to my mind right now is adding a
          > type to each feat that has the prerequisite, and then choose or add
          > based on that type. But that means you'll have to remember to put that
          > type into future files as well.

          And if any PRExxx change to the feat will need to change the TYPE.
          Recognize that it is a very inelegant hack (but it will work).

          CHOOSE:FEAT= is really (semantically) CHOOSE:WEAPONPROF(from feat
          choice)= right?

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2007

            > CHOOSE:FEAT= is really (semantically) CHOOSE:WEAPONPROF(from feat
            > choice)= right?

            It's more generic than that I think... meaning it's not limited to weapon
            feats (not sure if that's what you meant or if that's just the example you
            pulled).

            IIRC, it basically gathers up the choice/target from the selected feat and
            presents it in a chooser.

            Barak

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            PM
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2007
              > It's more generic than that I think... meaning it's not limited to weapon
              > feats (not sure if that's what you meant or if that's just the example you
              > pulled).
              >
              > IIRC, it basically gathers up the choice/target from the selected feat and
              > presents it in a chooser.

              Still doesn't help with this one. Close, but no bananas.

            • Tom Parker
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

                > > It's more generic than that I think... meaning it's not limited to
                weapon
                > > feats (not sure if that's what you meant or if that's just the
                example you
                > > pulled).
                > >
                > > IIRC, it basically gathers up the choice/target from the selected
                feat and
                > > presents it in a chooser.
                >
                > Still doesn't help with this one. Close, but no bananas.

                I don't believe there is anything in the code today that can extract
                information from the Prereqs to form a list... so today, I think
                you're stuck with an inelegant hack.

                In fact, this isn't even something I'd considered for 6.0, so can
                someone please FREQ this? I will try to think whether I can do this
                easily with the current architecture proposal, or what we would need
                to do to update it to get to that point.

                Thanks.
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                  Flagging for TM. I don't know where this goes.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                    [ 1712801 ] Re: CHOOSE based on PRExxx???

                    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1712801&group_id=25576&atid=384722
                    Tir Gwaith wrote:
                    > Flagging for TM. I don't know where this goes.
                    >
                    > On 5/4/07, Tom Parker <thpr@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith"

                    >> weapon

                    >> example you

                    >> feat and

                    >>> Still doesn't help with this one. Close, but no bananas.
                    >>>

                    >> I don't believe there is anything in the code today that can extract
                    >> information from the Prereqs to form a list... so today, I think
                    >> you're stuck with an inelegant hack.
                    >>
                    >> In fact, this isn't even something I'd considered for 6.0, so can
                    >> someone please FREQ this? I will try to think whether I can do this
                    >> easily with the current architecture proposal, or what we would need
                    >> to do to update it to get to that point.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks.
                    >>

                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jeremy Turnley
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                      Thanks, there are a few classes in CC books that this would be useful
                      for, this has been a long time coming.
                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                        Here's another one for you to chew on Tom:

                        This is in at least two CC books that I know of... (quoted verbatim here):

                        "+1 level of existing class features -- you gain class
                        features (including spellcasting ability) and an increase in
                        effective level as if you had also gained a level in a class to
                        which you belonged before adding the prestige class level.
                        You do not, however, gain the benefit of your previous
                        class’s Hit Dice, attack progression, skill points, or saving
                        throws".

                        I think this has come up before but I don't think it got trackered.
                        Basically we need a tag (or maybe expand ADD with ADD:CLASSLEVEL) that would
                        apply any benefits gained on class level lines (and increment that classes
                        CL), but not those things usually in the header area (no BAB, Saves, Skill
                        Points, etc).

                        Barak

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                          [ 1713215 ] +1 level of existing class features

                          https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1713215&group_id=25576&atid=384722