re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: [Tir]Special characters

  • Mercule
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2007
      -------- Original Message --------
      > Interesting. I'm in the midst of working on this same sort of problem.
      >
      > I opted to do stances as feats, and Maneuvers as Spells. Each style is
      > a subschool. I have been setting variables in the classes and feats
      > which determine pre-reqs. It's convoluted as @#$% and I've not gotten
      > it completely working yet.

      I did them as dual caster progression with a phantom class for the stances (e.g. Swordsage Stances). Feats may have worked better, but the dual progression gives a more similar feel to the rulebook.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2007
        I'm not going to register over there (cause for one post it is silly,
        and I also don't want ppl to start assuming I lurk over there, since I
        don't), so feel free to pass this along.

        Note: I don't own the CC source, so I'm going of the descriptions in
        the thread for the progression only.

        TYPE: the different 'warrior' classes that can stack. eg. TYPE:Warrior

        BONUS:VAR|MyClass1StanceLVL|(var("CL=TYPE.Warrior")-CL)/2+CL

        That means a different 'MyClass<x>StanceLVL' var (or whatever) for
        each class (MyClass1StanceLVL, etc). This is because apparently they
        are all different 'pools' or whatever.

        Now, any PrC needs to be able to add +1 to any Defined VAR, so a
        simple CHOOSE _can_ work (but won't be elegant)

        CHOOSE:MyClass1LVL|MyClass2LVL|MyClass3LVL
        BONUS:VAR|LIST|1

        The reason it won't be elegant, is that a) ALL VARs needed will have
        to be defined in the CHOOSE, and they will all show in the chooser
        window (not just what the character qualifies for).

        Not also that I did NOT use MyClass1StanceLVL, etc. Reason: according
        to the thread, the PrCs advance more than just the stance level
        (Initiator, Maneuver Known, Maneuver Ready, etc.). Having each
        'MyClass1LVL' var in turn adjust all the other VARs needed to be
        advanced. For example, and these are from the hip.

        BONUS:VAR|MyClass1StanceLVL|MyClassLVL
        BONUS:VAR|MyClassManeuverKnownLVL|MyClassLVL
        BONUS:VAR|MyClassManeuverReadyLVL|MyClassLVL
        BONUS:VAR|MyClassStancesKnownLVL|MyClassLVL

        You get the idea. (Yes, those could all be one BONUS:VAR| statement,
        but this is a clearer way of explaining it).

        Remember, for all this to work, the different VARs all need to be
        defined in an object the character has for the BONUS statements to
        work, or it won't do anything.

        Cheerios.

        BTW: I also recommend this as an Ability object, not as spells.
        Again, I don't own the source, but this seems more like a set of
        special abilities with a separate pool to go from than spellcasting as
        some seem to suggest.

        On 5/2/07, Paul <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
        > Hey Tir, or anyone else with advanced LST skills. There's some people
        > over on CMP's boards trying to figure out some tricky stuff. Could one
        > of you give them a hand?
        >
        > <http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/modules.php?
        > op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=78&postdays=0&postorder=asc&st
        > art=25>

      • celondon
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2007
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...>
          wrote:

          > BTW: I also recommend this as an Ability object, not as spells.
          > Again, I don't own the source, but this seems more like a set of
          > special abilities with a separate pool to go from than spellcasting as
          > some seem to suggest.

          An "Ability object?" Not a term I'm familiar with -- is there an
          existing example you can point me towards to deconstruct?
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2007
            > An "Ability object?" Not a term I'm familiar with -- is there an
            > existing example you can point me towards to deconstruct?

            For 5.12 (it is in the 5.11.x series) - basically, an expansion on
            Feats, that when defined in GameMode, sets up a separate chooser
            sub-tab on the Feat tab. Different tracking pool, etc.

            The 5.11.x RSRD data has Salient Divine Abilities set up using the
            Ability object if you want examples.

          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2007
              <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
              > The reason it won't be elegant, is that a) ALL VARs needed will have
              > to be defined in the CHOOSE, and they will all show in the chooser
              > window (not just what the character qualifies for).

              FREQ please - need a CHOOSE that will only supply access to variables
              that are defined in the PC

              TP.
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2007
                [ 1712795 ] CHOOSE supplies access to variables defined in PC

                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1712795&group_id=25576&atid=384722