Altering BAB

  • sorcel00
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7 10:49 AM
      I'm modding a class from HD d10 to d8, and from Average BAB to Good.
      Because everything else stays the same, I'm just using .MOD, as follows:

      CLASS:Foo.MOD
      HD:8

      But the BAB change is problematic. I tried using .CLEAR, like this:

      BONUS:.CLEAR.COMBAT|BAB
      BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL|TYPE=Base.REPLACE

      But .CLEAR evidently doesn't work with "additive" tags such as BONUS.
      Instead, I tried adding a sort of anti-bonus to adjust for the BONUS
      tag in the original class, like this:

      BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL-(CL*3/4)|TYPE=Base.REPLACE

      However, the class still showed a BAB of 0 at 1st level. It's baffling
      that this method wouldn't work. Adding CL plus CL*3/4 minus CL*3/4
      should just leave CL -- that's basic math. Does PCGen automatically
      round down *each* tag, rather than add the tags together and *then*
      round down?

      -S
    • sorcel00
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7 10:58 AM
        So, on the theory that PCGen *does* round each tag down rather than
        add the tags together and then round down, I tried the following:

        BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|-(CL*3/4)|TYPE=BASE.REPLACE
        BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL|TYPE=BASE.REPLACE

        And it worked.

        Problem solved. ::shrug::

        -S

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7 1:37 PM
          On 4/7/07, sorcel00 <sorcel00@...> wrote:
          > So, on the theory that PCGen *does* round each tag down rather than
          > add the tags together and then round down, I tried the following:

          On the theory? That's how it does it, plain and simple. :)

          <aside>Someone needs to re-cage up that LST Chimp by the name of Tir
          again. :P</aside>

        • Gilberto Leon
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 11 10:45 PM
            > Does PCGen automatically
            > round down *each* tag, rather than add the tags together and *then*
            > round down?

            Followup question... is there an easy way to make PCGen add the tags together and then round down? (and by easy way I mean something that doesn't require editing each and every class)

            Edhel
          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 12 3:17 AM
              On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 05:45:19AM -0000, Gilberto Leon wrote:
              >> Does PCGen automatically round down *each* tag, rather than add the
              >> tags together and *then* round down?
              >
              > Followup question... is there an easy way to make PCGen add the tags
              > together and then round down? (and by easy way I mean something that
              > doesn't require editing each and every class)

              I don't think you can do it even if you edit every class. I believe the
              rounding down is done in the java code, you'd need to edit it and
              recompile.

              andrew
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 12 3:36 PM
                On 4/11/07, Gilberto Leon <edheldur@...> wrote:
                > > Does PCGen automatically
                > > round down *each* tag, rather than add the tags together and *then*
                > > round down?
                >
                > Followup question... is there an easy way to make PCGen add the tags together and then round down? (and by easy way I mean something that doesn't require editing each and every class)

                Q to answer your Q: Why do you want to?

              • Gilberto Leon
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 12 5:28 PM
                  > Q to answer your Q: Why do you want to?

                  Just to know if a variant rule such as using fractional saves and BAB could be implemented via PCGen.

                  Edhel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 12 5:49 PM
                    On 4/12/07, Gilberto Leon <edheldur@...> wrote:
                    > > Q to answer your Q: Why do you want to?
                    >
                    > Just to know if a variant rule such as using fractional saves and BAB could be implemented via PCGen.

                    Yeah, I thought so. The only place I've seen ppl want that is in
                    Fractional BAB and Checks variants.

                    TMs, please open a Data FReq (P4 or 5, after next stable) for allowing
                    for fractional BAB variant. I think it can be done with current code
                    (and using the VAR Preference thing), but will take some toying
                    around.

                  • Richard Bowers
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 12 5:51 PM
                      AFAIK, you'd have to edit a fair number of places - what you would do is
                      choose how many decimal places you want, and have the bonuses calculated to
                      have that many extra digits to the left of the decimal point. For example,
                      instead of having BAB be +1, +1, +2, you would have a variable be +10, +15,
                      +20. Then, you'd have a bonus to BAB of a tenth of the your inflated BAB.
                      This would add the fractions together, and only drop the fraction at the
                      end.

                      On 4/12/07, Gilberto Leon <edheldur@...> wrote:

                      > > Q to answer your Q: Why do you want to?
                      >
                      > Just to know if a variant rule such as using fractional saves and BAB
                      > could be implemented via PCGen.
                      >
                      > Edhel
                      >
                      > __

                    • Paul W. King
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 12 7:37 PM
                      • Gilberto Leon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 12 11:12 PM
                          > TMs, please open a Data FReq (P4 or 5, after next stable) for allowing
                          > for fractional BAB variant. I think it can be done with current code
                          > (and using the VAR Preference thing), but will take some toying
                          > around.

                          Yay! Thanks Tir!