Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] VISION question

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1 3:31 AM
      VISION:Darkvision (0')
      BONUS:VISION|Darkvision|30

      later, another BONUS:VISION|Darkvision|30
      tag.

      On 3/31/07, Darkon <darkon_turas@...> wrote:
      > I have a class that states that if the character doesn't have
      > Darkvision then they get it at 30' range. If they do, then it extends
      > the range by 30'.
      >
      > Later on it extends the range again by 30'.
      >
      > How do I code for this?

    • Darkon
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1 8:39 AM
        But wouldn't VISION:Darkvision (0') reduce an already existing
        darkvision to 0' range?

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1 6:01 PM
          > But wouldn't VISION:Darkvision (0') reduce an already existing
          > darkvision to 0' range?

          If it did, I wouldn't have suggested it. :P

          Think of VISION tag like the DEFINE tag - the highest value from a
          VISION tag wins, and then BONUS tags are added to that.

        • Darkon
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2 8:19 AM
            That's good to know, though maybe the documentation should state that
            behavior in the description so such questions wouldn't arise.

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...>
            wrote:

            > > But wouldn't VISION:Darkvision (0') reduce an already existing
            > > darkvision to 0' range?
            >
            > If it did, I wouldn't have suggested it. :P
            >
            > Think of VISION tag like the DEFINE tag - the highest value from a
            > VISION tag wins, and then BONUS tags are added to that.
            >
            > --
            > Tir Gwaith
            > PCGen LST Chimp

          • Mercule
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2 1:28 PM
              > That's good to know, though maybe the documentation should state that
              > behavior in the description so such questions wouldn't arise.

              I was thinking the same thing. Then I realized that PCGen pretty much has to operate like it does. There really doesn't seem to be much of a "load order" to it. Everything gets shovelled into the hopper and then some operations are done to make sure some potential conflicts are worked out (like multiple instatiations of darkvision or variables). It's still one of those things that may not be immediately intuitive, but I think I may have just figured out a couple of tricks.
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2 4:52 PM
                Doc Monkeys (Fitz, mainly I guess) - this is a good point for
                clarification. Every tag that does a kind of Define with a numerical
                value works the same way.

                > > That's good to know, though maybe the documentation should state that
                > > behavior in the description so such questions wouldn't arise.
                > >

                > I was thinking the same thing. Then I realized that PCGen pretty much has to operate like it does. There really doesn't seem to be much of a "load order" to it. Everything gets shovelled into the hopper and then some operations are done to make sure some potential conflicts are worked out (like multiple instatiations of darkvision or variables). It's still one of those things that may not be immediately intuitive, but I think I may have just figured out a couple of tricks.

              • Terry FitzSimons
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 8 11:08 AM
                  From the docs point of view, is it:

                  VISION:Darkvision (0')|BONUS:VISION|Darkvision|30
                  If the character does not have Darkvision, receives it at 30.

                  or:

                  VISION:Darkvision (0')<TAB>BONUS:VISION|Darkvision|30
                  If the character does not have Darkvision, receives it at 30.

                  Terry

                  On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:01:34 -0600, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...>
                  wrote:

                  >> But wouldn't VISION:Darkvision (0') reduce an already existing
                  >> darkvision to 0' range?
                  >
                  >If it did, I wouldn't have suggested it. :P
                  >
                  >Think of VISION tag like the DEFINE tag - the highest value from a
                  >VISION tag wins, and then BONUS tags are added to that.
                  --

                  Terry FitzSimons
                  FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                  Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 8 3:19 PM
                    > VISION:Darkvision (0')<TAB>BONUS:VISION|Darkvision|30
                    > If the character does not have Darkvision, receives it at 30.

                    This one. Two tag implementation. However, it isn't just that.
                    "If character does not have Darkvision, receives it at 30, or extends
                    Darkvision by 30 if it already has it."

                  • Hank Lee
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007

                      Has anyone ever created a feat-granting piece of equipment?

                      I'm trying to create an item for a monk that grants him a specific feat
                      when equipped. I used the list editor and created my custom feat
                      (limited to monk lvl 15 or higher), and then proceeded to create a
                      custom item.

                      I tried editing the custom equipment file and use the ADDFEAT tag, but
                      it does not seem to work. I'm pretty new a this, and will appreciate any
                      hints on this.

                      I'm using 5.12.0.

                      /Hank/
                    • Eric C. Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Hank Lee <toga@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Has anyone ever created a feat-granting piece of equipment?
                        >
                        > I'm trying to create an item for a monk that grants him a specific feat
                        > when equipped. I used the list editor and created my custom feat
                        > (limited to monk lvl 15 or higher), and then proceeded to create a
                        > custom item.
                        >
                        > I tried editing the custom equipment file and use the ADDFEAT tag, but
                        > it does not seem to work. I'm pretty new a this, and will appreciate any
                        > hints on this.

                        Try VFEAT:<new feat> instead of ADD:FEAT.

                        Eric
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
                          Eric is correct, only VFEAT works in the Equipment Tag.

                          Eric C. Smith wrote:
                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Hank Lee <toga@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hi,
                          >>
                          >> Has anyone ever created a feat-granting piece of equipment?
                          >>
                          >> I'm trying to create an item for a monk that grants him a specific feat
                          >> when equipped. I used the list editor and created my custom feat
                          >> (limited to monk lvl 15 or higher), and then proceeded to create a
                          >> custom item.
                          >>
                          >> I tried editing the custom equipment file and use the ADDFEAT tag, but
                          >> it does not seem to work. I'm pretty new a this, and will appreciate any
                          >> hints on this.
                          >>

                          > Try VFEAT:<new feat> instead of ADD:FEAT.
                          >
                          > Eric

                          -- Andrew Maitland
                          Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                        • arjan_van_ginneken
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 5, 2007
                            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith"
                            <maredudd@...> wrote:

                            > > I tried editing the custom equipment file and use the ADDFEAT tag, but
                            > > it does not seem to work. I'm pretty new a this, and will
                            appreciate any
                            > > hints on this.
                            >

                            > Try VFEAT:<new feat> instead of ADD:FEAT.

                            Hank, if you got this working would you mind posting the complete code
                            for this feat bestowing equipment? I've been trying to create a
                            buckler which bestows the Deflect Arrows feat but I cannot get the
                            syntax right.

                            Thanx,
                            Arjan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 5, 2007
                              > Hank, if you got this working would you mind posting the complete code
                              > for this feat bestowing equipment? I've been trying to create a
                              > buckler which bestows the Deflect Arrows feat but I cannot get the
                              > syntax right.

                              VFEAT:Deflect Arrows
                              that doesn't give the PC Deflect arrows when equipped? It won't do
                              anything unless Equipped (Carried won't do - must be equipped).

                            • arjan_van_ginneken
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 7, 2007
                                > VFEAT:Deflect Arrows
                                > that doesn't give the PC Deflect arrows when equipped? It won't do
                                > anything unless Equipped (Carried won't do - must be equipped).
                                >
                                > --
                                > Tir Gwaith

                                It did when I cleaned up some typos. Thanx Tir. Sorry about the
                                confusion.

                                Arjan