Choosing a spell below the max

  • Mercule
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 26, 2007
      This comes up as I'm adding in a new class, but the behavior holds true over existing CMP datasets, too. I'll use Sorcerer as an example:

      I just got to 4th level and now have a 2nd level slot "known". I really don't like any of the 2nd level spells, so I want to take Magic Missle, instead. I get the message "You are only allowed 4 first level spells and there are no higher level slots available," or something similar. Why? I should be able to do this by the rules, and the error message indicates this is the intent.

      Am I missing a setting somewhere in the system files? Is it a check box w/in the app? Or, is it just broken? Does anyone know?

      Thanks.
    • Frank Kliewe
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 29, 2007
        On 1/26/07, Mercule <lists@...> wrote:

        > This comes up as I'm adding in a new class, but the behavior holds true over existing CMP datasets, too. I'll use Sorcerer as an example:
        >
        > I just got to 4th level and now have a 2nd level slot "known". I really don't like any of the 2nd level spells, so I want to take Magic Missle, instead. I get the message "You are only allowed 4 first level spells and there are no higher level slots available," or something similar. Why? I should be able to do this by the rules, and the error message indicates this is the intent.
        >
        > Am I missing a setting somewhere in the system files? Is it a check box w/in the app? Or, is it just broken? Does anyone know?
        >
        > Thanks.

        This looks like a bug. You should be able to choose a lower level
        spell when you have a higher level slot open. I can confirm that this
        doesn't work correctly with 5.11.6.

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Content Silverback

        --
        Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that
        if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 29, 2007
          trackered: [ 1647170 ] Choosing a lower level spell in a higher slot broken
          http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1647170&group_id=25576&atid=384719

          On 1/29/07, Frank Kliewe <fkliewe@...> wrote:
          > On 1/26/07, Mercule <lists@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This comes up as I'm adding in a new class, but the behavior holds true over existing CMP datasets, too. I'll use Sorcerer as an example:
          > >
          > > I just got to 4th level and now have a 2nd level slot "known". I really don't like any of the 2nd level spells, so I want to take Magic Missle, instead. I get the message "You are only allowed 4 first level spells and there are no higher level slots available," or something similar. Why? I should be able to do this by the rules, and the error message indicates this is the intent.
          > >
          > > Am I missing a setting somewhere in the system files? Is it a check box w/in the app? Or, is it just broken? Does anyone know?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >

          > This looks like a bug. You should be able to choose a lower level
          > spell when you have a higher level slot open. I can confirm that this
          > doesn't work correctly with 5.11.6.
          >
          > Cheerio,
          >
          > Frank Kliewe
          > PCGen Content Silverback
          >
          > --
          > Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that
          > if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.
          > (George McFly in "Back To The Future", 1985)

          --
          Cheerio,

          Frank Kliewe
          PCGen Content Silverback

          --
          Promise me I can have your face when the breath has left your body.
          (Prof. Andreev in "Gorky Park", 1983)
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 29, 2007
            Groovy. Thanks.

            > > This comes up as I'm adding in a new class, but the behavior holds true over existing CMP datasets, too. I'll use Sorcerer as an example:
            > >
            > > I just got to 4th level and now have a 2nd level slot "known". I really don't like any of the 2nd level spells, so I want to take Magic Missle, instead. I get the message "You are only allowed 4 first level spells and there are no higher level slots available," or something similar. Why? I should be able to do this by the rules, and the error message indicates this is the intent.
            > >
            > > Am I missing a setting somewhere in the system files? Is it a check box w/in the app? Or, is it just broken? Does anyone know?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >

            > This looks like a bug. You should be able to choose a lower level
            > spell when you have a higher level slot open. I can confirm that this
            > doesn't work correctly with 5.11.6.
            >
            > Cheerio,
            >
            > Frank Kliewe
            > PCGen Content Silverback
            >
            > --
            > Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that
            > if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.
            > (George McFly in "Back To The Future", 1985)
          • Benoît Bottin
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 31, 2007
              I know it has been tracked as a bug already , but some additional
              info:

              On 26 Jan 2007 at 11:01, Mercule wrote:

              > I just got to 4th level and now have a 2nd level slot "known". I
              > really don't like any of the 2nd level spells, so I want to take Magic
              > Missle, instead. I get the message "You are only allowed 4 first
              > level spells and there are no higher level slots available," or
              > something similar. Why? I should be able to do this by the rules,
              > and the error message indicates this is the intent.

              I had the same behaviour when adding domain spells to a cleric's
              prepared spells. Unless I misunderstand the rules, the "+1" slot MUST
              BE taken as a domain spell, but nothing should prevent a cleric to
              add a domain spell in a regular cleric spell slot, right ? Well,
              PCGen does not allow it (just create a 1st level cleric with the fire
              domain and try adding two burning hands as prepared spells).

              I assume it is part of the same bug.

              Yours,

              Benoît Bottin
            • Axel
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2007
                I think Domain spells can only be taken as Domain spells, we had a 'discussion' about it and came to the conclusion that they were. Much to my disgust

                Well,
                PCGen does not allow it (just create a 1st level cleric with the fire
                domain and try adding two burning hands as prepared spells).

                I assume it is part of the same bug.

                Recent Activity
                a.. 6New Members
                Visit Your Group
                a.. Open source help desk software
                b.. Open source
                c.. Open source software
                d.. Free open source software
                New web site?
                Drive traffic now.

                Get your business

                on Yahoo! search.

                Y! Toolbar
                Get it Free!

                easy 1-click access

                to your groups.

                Yahoo! Groups
                Start a group

                in 3 easy steps.

                Connect with others.
                .

              • Frank Kliewe
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 31, 2007
                  On 1/31/07, Benoît Bottin <bottin@...> wrote:

                  > I know it has been tracked as a bug already , but some additional
                  > info:
                  >
                  > On 26 Jan 2007 at 11:01, Mercule wrote:
                  >
                  > > I just got to 4th level and now have a 2nd level slot "known". I
                  > > really don't like any of the 2nd level spells, so I want to take Magic
                  > > Missle, instead. I get the message "You are only allowed 4 first
                  > > level spells and there are no higher level slots available," or
                  > > something similar. Why? I should be able to do this by the rules,
                  > > and the error message indicates this is the intent.
                  >
                  > I had the same behaviour when adding domain spells to a cleric's
                  > prepared spells. Unless I misunderstand the rules, the "+1" slot MUST
                  > BE taken as a domain spell, but nothing should prevent a cleric to
                  > add a domain spell in a regular cleric spell slot, right ? Well,
                  > PCGen does not allow it (just create a 1st level cleric with the fire
                  > domain and try adding two burning hands as prepared spells).
                  >
                  > I assume it is part of the same bug.
                  >
                  > Yours,
                  >
                  > Benoît Bottin

                  From the 3.5 SRD: "If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list,
                  a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.", so I'm afraid
                  according to the RAW you cannot able to take a domain spell as a
                  normal spell.

                  On the original issue I overlooked the fact that there is a checkbox
                  on the known spells tab and the prepared spells tab now, that says
                  "Allow Use of Higher Level Slots". If you check this, you will be able
                  to select lower level spells into higher level slots. Just be careful
                  as there is no warning that you have filled your quota, so if you have
                  accidentally added too many lower level spells, you will have less or
                  no slots available for higher level slots.

                  I have now changed the original bug tracker to a Feature Request to
                  display a warning, when you take a higher level slot for a lower level
                  spell.

                  Cheerio,

                  Frank Kliewe
                  PCGen Content Silverback

                  --
                  Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that
                  if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.
                  (George McFly in "Back To The Future", 1985)
                • Ludovic Fierville
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 31, 2007
                    Here is an excerpt of 20srd.org :

                    "Each domain gives the cleric access to a domain spell at each spell level
                    he can cast, from 1st on up, as well as a granted power. The cleric gets the
                    granted powers of both the domains selected.

                    With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, a cleric prepares
                    one or the other each day in his domain spell slot. If a domain spell is not
                    on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell
                    slot."
                    If it is true, it's quite clear that a spell that is on the Domain List but
                    not on the Cleric Spell List (I think Burning Hands is one of thoses) can
                    not be allocated to a normal spell slot, it must be a Domain slot.

                    So I think Axel is right.

                    2007/1/31, Axel <axelmct@...>:

                    > I think Domain spells can only be taken as Domain spells, we had a
                    > 'discussion' about it and came to the conclusion that they were. Much to my
                    > disgust
                    >
                    > Well,
                    > PCGen does not allow it (just create a 1st level cleric with the fire
                    > domain and try adding two burning hands as prepared spells).
                    >
                    > I assume it is part of the same bug.
                    >
                    > Recent Activity
                    > a.. 6New Members
                    > Visit Your Group
                    > a.. Open source help desk software
                    > b.. Open source
                    > c.. Open source software
                    > d.. Free open source software
                    > New web site?
                    > Drive traffic now.
                    >
                    > Get your business
                    >
                    > on Yahoo! search.
                    >
                    > Y! Toolbar
                    > Get it Free!
                    >
                    > easy 1-click access
                    >
                    > to your groups.
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups
                    > Start a group
                    >
                    > in 3 easy steps.
                    >
                    > Connect with others.
                    > .

                    ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~

                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 31, 2007
                      > Here is an excerpt of 20srd.org :

                      Just a word of caution. That is not the official RSRD site. The official site is:
                      http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

                      Paul W. King
                      PR SB, BoD
                    • Benoît Bottin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                        Hello again,

                        OK so it was my mistake after all - too bad.
                        Do any of the LST gurus know of a way to make this selection a house
                        rule ? Is it possible to bypass this restriction by an easy .MOD on
                        the spells, or is it possible to alter the system files to allow such
                        a selection ?

                        Thanks,

                        Yours,

                        Benoît

                        On 31 Jan 2007 at 15:33, Axel wrote:

                        > I think Domain spells can only be taken as Domain spells, we had a
                        > 'discussion' about it and came to the conclusion that they were. Much
                        > to my disgust
                        >

                        > Well,
                        > PCGen does not allow it (just create a 1st level cleric with the fire
                        > domain and try adding two burning hands as prepared spells).
                        >
                        > I assume it is part of the same bug.
                        >

                        > Recent Activity
                        > a.. 6New Members
                        > Visit Your Group
                        > a.. Open source help desk software
                        > b.. Open source
                        > c.. Open source software
                        > d.. Free open source software
                        > New web site?
                        > Drive traffic now.
                        >
                        > Get your business
                        >
                        > on Yahoo! search.
                        >
                        > Y! Toolbar
                        > Get it Free!
                        >
                        > easy 1-click access
                        >
                        > to your groups.
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups
                        > Start a group
                        >
                        > in 3 easy steps.
                        >
                        > Connect with others.
                        > .

                      • Mercule
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                          I haven't tried this, so procede at your own risk. There is a tag that adds a spell to a spell list (I don't have the reference with me -- it's something like ADD:SPELL). If you added that to the domain definition, you could probably get the domain spells added to the class list.

                          > OK so it was my mistake after all - too bad.
                          > Do any of the LST gurus know of a way to make this selection a house
                          > rule ? Is it possible to bypass this restriction by an easy .MOD on
                          > the spells, or is it possible to alter the system files to allow such
                          > a selection ?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Yours,
                          >
                          > Benoît
                          >

                          > On 31 Jan 2007 at 15:33, Axel wrote:
                          >
                          > > I think Domain spells can only be taken as Domain spells, we had a
                          > > 'discussion' about it and came to the conclusion that they were. Much
                          > > to my disgust
                          > >

                          > > Well,
                          > > PCGen does not allow it (just create a 1st level cleric with the fire
                          > > domain and try adding two burning hands as prepared spells).
                          > >
                          > > I assume it is part of the same bug.
                          > >

                          > > Recent Activity
                          > > a.. 6New Members
                          > > Visit Your Group
                          > > a.. Open source help desk software
                          > > b.. Open source
                          > > c.. Open source software
                          > > d.. Free open source software
                          > > New web site?
                          > > Drive traffic now.
                          > >
                          > > Get your business
                          > >
                          > > on Yahoo! search.
                          > >
                          > > Y! Toolbar
                          > > Get it Free!
                          > >
                          > > easy 1-click access
                          > >
                          > > to your groups.
                          > >
                          > > Yahoo! Groups
                          > > Start a group
                          > >
                          > > in 3 easy steps.
                          > >
                          > > Connect with others.
                          > > .

                        • Eddy Anthony
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                            If your goal is to get a domains spells into the regular class spell list
                            that is pretty east to .MOD.

                            First go into the rsrd_domains.lst file and pick the domain you want, I'll
                            use Air as an example. Find the SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN tag, this is when the
                            domain spells are defined. They can also be set in the spell line itself but
                            the SPELLLEVEL tag makes it easier than .MODing all those spells.

                            Next you want to create a place for this to be copied, if you want this to
                            apply to all Clerics then .MOD that class, if you want to apply it
                            selectively I'd put it into a template.

                            Next paste the SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN tag into the template or class .MOD. Then
                            change SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN to SPELLLEVEL:CLASS. Next change the domain level
                            settings to the class you want, in this case change Air= to Cleric=

                            That should be all you need. When the class is .MODed or the template is
                            applied those spells should all show up as regular spells in the Clerics
                            spell list.
                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)

                            Mercule scribed:

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                              Won't that make the spell available to all Clerics, regardless of whether they have access to the Air domain or not, though?

                              I might have misunderstood, but I thought the request was conditional on the cleric having the domain.

                              > If your goal is to get a domains spells into the regular class spell list
                              > that is pretty east to .MOD.
                              >
                              > First go into the rsrd_domains.lst file and pick the domain you want, I'll
                              > use Air as an example. Find the SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN tag, this is when the
                              > domain spells are defined. They can also be set in the spell line itself but
                              > the SPELLLEVEL tag makes it easier than .MODing all those spells.
                              >
                              > Next you want to create a place for this to be copied, if you want this to
                              > apply to all Clerics then .MOD that class, if you want to apply it
                              > selectively I'd put it into a template.
                              >
                              > Next paste the SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN tag into the template or class .MOD. Then
                              > change SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN to SPELLLEVEL:CLASS. Next change the domain level
                              > settings to the class you want, in this case change Air= to Cleric=
                              >
                              > That should be all you need. When the class is .MODed or the template is
                              > applied those spells should all show up as regular spells in the Clerics
                              > spell list.
                              > --
                              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                              > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

                            • Eddy Anthony
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                                Mercule scribed:

                                > Won't that make the spell available to all Clerics, regardless of whether they
                                > have access to the Air domain or not, though?

                                > I might have misunderstood, but I thought the request was conditional on the
                                > cleric having the domain.

                                If this is .MODed then yes it does make the spell available to all Clerics.

                                That's why I also suggested putting it in a template which could be applied
                                as needed.

                                --
                                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                              • Paul Grosse
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                                  Could't you PREDOMAIN the SPELLLEVEL:CLASS? Or is that a tag that isn't
                                  PRExxxable?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                                    On 2/2/07, Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
                                    > Could't you PREDOMAIN the SPELLLEVEL:CLASS? Or is that a tag that isn't
                                    > PRExxxable?

                                    As it stands, SPELLLEVEL:xxx does not take PRExxx.

                                    I don't remember the details, but there was something to do with spell
                                    association that made PRExxx not a good thing to code into the tag at
                                    the time.

                                    Another way to do it is that same tag and instead of .MODing the
                                    Class, .MOD the Domain with the new SPELLLEVEL:CLASS tag. Then when
                                    taking the domain, the spells will be added to the domain and the
                                    class spell list.