Tag processing order question . . .

  • Eric C. Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
      Greetings folks . . .

      Pardon for the quick diversion from my other current effort but I ran into a problem last
      night while creating a character and I'm trying to ferret out the problem . . .

      I have a template that sets a variable that is defined and used in a feat that the template
      grants. Is there an 'order of processing' issue here?

      Example:

      I have a 'Spineless Knob' that is supposed to have a breath weapon but it isn't showing up
      on the OS, or on the preview pane . . .

      The template 'Spineless Knob' includes the following BONUS:VAR tags:
      BONUS:VAR|BreathWeaponHalitosisCloudDice|3
      BONUS:VAR|BreathWeaponHalitosisCloudDieSize|4

      The template also follows with the VFEAT tag as follows:
      VFEAT:Immunity to Halitosis|Breath Weapon (Halitosis/Cloud)

      The feat 'Breath Weapon (Halitosis/Cloud)' includes the following SA tag:
      SA:Breath Weapon (Su) ~ Cloud of Halitosis %d% DC %|
      BreathWeaponHalitosisCloudDice|
      BreathWeaponHalitosisCloudDieSize|
      BreathWeaponHalitosisCloudDC

      and the following DEFINE tags:
      DEFINE:BreathWeaponFireConeDice|0
      DEFINE:BreathWeaponFireConeDieSize|0
      DEFINE:BreathWeaponFireConeDC|0

      and the following BONUS"VAR tags:
      BONUS:VAR|BreathWeaponHalitosisCloudDC|10+(HD/2)+CON

      Also, the last BONUS"VAR tag uses the 'HD' variable. As this template is being applied to a
      player character, albiet at character creation, does the HD are the 'HD' and 'TL' equal? Or
      should I be using the 'CR' . . . I'm not sure why the breath weapon isn't showing up . . .

      Thanks for any assisstance.

      Maredudd
    • barak@hughes.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
        You have a couple of problems that I see (assuming one isn't a
        copy/paste error to the e-mail message)...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
          Oh, by the way . . .

          I know the 'Spineless Knob' tamplate is being applied because it also sets the 'SUBRCE' and
          that is showing up ob the OS and Preview Pane. Also, the 'Immunity to Halitosis' special
          ability, added by the 'Immunity to Halitosis'' feat, is appearing on the sheets.

          Maredudd
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
            Eric C. Smith scribed:

            > and the following BONUS"VAR tags:
            > BONUS:VAR|BreathWeaponHalitosisCloudDC|10+(HD/2)+CON
            >
            > Also, the last BONUS"VAR tag uses the 'HD' variable. As this template is
            > being applied to a
            > player character, albiet at character creation, does the HD are the 'HD' and
            > 'TL' equal? Or
            > should I be using the 'CR' . . . I'm not sure why the breath weapon isn't
            > showing up . . .

            HD returns all the Monster type levels, if your PC is human or something
            else with not monster hitdice this equals 0. TL returns all class levels,
            monster and all. If you want just PC and NPC class levels use (TL-HD).
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • Eric C. Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
              Bara wrote:

              > You have a couple of problems that I see (assuming one isn't a
              > copy/paste error to the e-mail message)...

              So does this mean that when the revised datsets are released and I download them that
              any templates amd feats in, oh say the Players Handbook, will conform to the new
              standard? . . .

              Not saying that the updates will help me in my current situation . . . I am after all working
              on the Spineless Knob and his nasty habit of spewing noxious clouds of halitosis
              everywhere he goes! :-)

              > You forgot to change the VAR names in the DEFINEs... It really helps
              > if you define the VARs you're actually using. :P

              Oops! Sorry! :-) And I have been trying very hard too! I'll triple check the post before it
              goes out next time . . . Though I guess I could blame the Dire Boar that attacked me last
              night . . . Fortunately I had my +5 Holy Avenging Dakota to defend myself and as I made
              the appropriate saving throw I only took half damage, or rather quarter-panel damage as
              my wife would say . . . That Dire Boar had my Holy Avenging Dakota's name stamped
              across its forehead! Well, at least it did after I was done with it . . .:-)

              > Undefined VARs are ignored and considered to be 0, and an SA with VARs
              > in it that has no number other than zero is not displayed. So the
              > program is considering BreathWeaponHalitosisConeDice,
              > BreathWeaponHalitosisConeDieSize and BreathWeaponHalitosisConeDC as
              > undefined and therefor not showing the SA (if it's even being granted
              > due to issue #1 I mentioned above).

              For my case then, as theBONUS"VARS' for the BWHalitosisCloudDice and
              BWHalitosisDieSize are in the template but are defined and used as part of the feat, there
              is a disconnect logically and the 'SA:Breath Weapon ~ Halitosis/Cloud (Su)' is not being
              applied.

              I'll have to think upon how to fix this one . . .

              Maredudd